Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital back options for Mamiya 645AF  (Read 10463 times)

grepthis

Digital back options for Mamiya 645AF
« on: April 12, 2011, 08:17:49 am »

Hi,

I'm new to medium format and don't know much. I'm giving some thought to buying a Mamiya 645AF (note that this is 645AF and not the 645AFD) as someone is selling it for a reasonable price. I am wondering what are the digital back options available for this body? I am looking to use this body for at-least 2 years.

Are there any Phase one or Leaf backs that are compatible with this? Can the ZD backs be used with it? I've read about the old Kodak back but it looks like too dated an option.

I'm sold on the quality of medium. But, is it a good idea to get this system as I'm not a studio professional and usually just shoot my personal travels. I do a mix of landscape, street and portraits. How would be the response times of a digital back as opposed to my nikon SLR? Would there be a lag in continuos shooting?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:31:24 am by grepthis »

Graham Mitchell

Re: Digital back options for Mamiya 645AF
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 08:37:06 am »

Sinar and Hasselblad also makes backs which would fit. I'd recommend avoiding the ZD back and getting a 22MP back from any of the manufacturers - they are solid performers and may be all you ever need.

EDIT: Sorry, the AF may not be as widely supported as I thought. Just checked the Sinar site, for example, and they might only support the AFD.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:54:38 am by Graham Mitchell »

grepthis

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 08:47:56 am »

Thankyou. That sounds nice. Do you know any model names? This is the 645AF and not the 645AFD. I don't know the difference but there seems to be some contention on whether it supports digital back. 

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 09:00:13 am »

Kodak Proback is one of the old MFDBs that should work.  The 645AF is limiting---and old.  Mamiya used to offer an "upgrade" to update the AF to an AFD.  If you're looking to use a MFDB, I would seriously opt for at least the 645AFD or more recent iteration.  The 645AFD is slow, but opens up more options for MFDBs.  And the 645AFD body can be had for almost a pittance.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 10:53:54 am »

Since you're new I'll be more clear than usual up front that I am a biased (though well meaning) source of information as we sell the kind of equipment you're looking at.

In my opinion it would be far more advantageous and sensible to buy a Mamiya AFD, AFD2, or Phase One AF* than to buy a Mamiya AF non-D. We (Capture Integration) sell AFD2 bodies with 6-month warranties for $699 and Refurbished Phase One AF bodies with 6-month warranties for $999.

An AFD/AFD2 or Phase One AF will work with a very large variety of open-system digital backs including every Phase One P and P+ digital back and all the Leaf Valeo, Aptus, and Aptus II backs. Even the Phase One IQ will be backwards compatible to the Phase One AF (though this next-gen back will not be supported on the AFD/AFD2. Whereas the Mamiya AF non-D has very limited options for compatible digital backs.

If you were sure you would never be interested in a digital back then my opinion would be very different. But since you said it was a specific goal/requirement for your body purchase the bottom line for me is that you'd be severely limiting your selection of digital backs to save a few hundred bucks.

As a bonus the Phase One AF also has a meaningfully improved Autofocus system compared to the Mamiya AF non-D.

To clear up any confusion here is a basic chronology of Mamiya/Phase Bodies from earliest to most recent:
- Mamiya AF
- Mamiya AFD
- Mamiya AFD2
- Phase One AF (aka Mamiya AFD3)
- Phase One DF (aka Mamiya DF)

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:02:00 am by dougpetersonci »

grepthis

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 07:11:59 am »

Thankyou dougpetersonci. That clears up the doubts quite a bit.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 11:14:08 am »

Thankyou dougpetersonci. That clears up the doubts quite a bit.

To be fair, I would add to Doug's post that all of the Mamiya/Phase One cameras he referenced would also be compatible with digital backs from Sinar and Hasselblad (with appropriate adapters), as well as Phase One and Leaf/Mamiya digital backs.

Steve Hendrix

Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

eddysmit

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 04:07:43 am »

I think the old Imacon Hasselblad backs work only on the AFD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up