Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What protection is better for canvas?  (Read 18160 times)

Sven W

Re: What protection is better for canvas?
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 05:24:11 pm »

I think that coatings will be the "next frontier" in my light fastness studies.

I have a backlog of approximately 50 new samples received in recent months from AaI&A members. I'm working to get those samples all into test right now.  Some of the samples are uncoated canvas. Because I always ask AaI&A members to submit extra copies, there is an opportunity to take the uncoated copies, add appropriate coatings here at AaI&A, and then run the uncoated and coated pairs in side-by-side tests. It's a logical way to extend the reach of the research. I have been using this side-by-side testing approach with paper media, adding some solvent spray coatings like HN protective spray and Print Shield here at AaI&A.  I'm not quite up to speed on all the water-based coatings and how to apply them successfully, but upping the ante to include more water-based coatings is definitely something to consider.  
kind regards,
Mark
Mark,
How about side-by-side tests also with Epson's Solvent ink on canvas? From the GS6000 printer.
I'm pretty sure that in a near future we will see more of such inks in smaller printers. For its durability. Or I wish  ;)
/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

MHMG

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 07:49:05 pm »

Mark,
How about side-by-side tests also with Epson's Solvent ink on canvas? From the GS6000 printer.
I'm pretty sure that in a near future we will see more of such inks in smaller printers. For its durability. Or I wish  ;)
/Sven

I think it's only a matter of time before AaI&A tests some media that has been printed on the GS6000. Sven, if you have access to a GS6000, contact me offline and perhaps we can plan a paired experiment or two.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Sven W

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 09:38:06 am »

I think it's only a matter of time before AaI&A tests some media that has been printed on the GS6000. Sven, if you have access to a GS6000, contact me offline and perhaps we can plan a paired experiment or two.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Yes Mark, I have.
Message offline pronto.
/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

Peter McLennan

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 11:14:13 am »

http://www.premierimagingproducts.com/pc_ecoprintshield.php
Seems that they recommend a lacquer over-coat to "set" the inks to keep them from dissolving.

That explains why, when I applied ecoprintshield with a foam roller to my canvas print (a test print, thankfully) the ink ran and the image was destroyed. ::)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up