Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Pond at New Mills  (Read 1087 times)

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
The Pond at New Mills
« on: April 12, 2011, 04:03:26 am »

Just across the road from my cottage, the other side of the river bridge, my neighbour Jeremy has created a pond at the bottom of his meadow. He has stocked it with all sorts of interesting plants, like marsh iris, bulrush, and gunnera. If the light is good, every so often I just wander across there with the ‘Blad and look for some interesting shots. I’ve been doing this for the last five years or so, and I am gradually building up a themed collection of pond shots through the seasons and in different weather. It’s jolly decent of Jeremy to provide me with a load of subject matter right on my doorstep – I think one of these days I shall have to make amends and settle the debt by printing a set of the best pictures just for him. This is an example from a few years back, on film (Kodak 400 T-Max).

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
Re: The Pond at New Mills
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 07:28:16 am »

Hi John

With respect and sincerity, would you explain to me why (on my monitor at any rate) the very white reflected cloud in this picture is acceptable, and the (not as bright) white cloud in my "Karoo Clouds" post is not?

To refresh your memory:   http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=52173.0   

Again, I ask this question most sincerely.

William

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 08:30:21 am »

Sorry John, but for me this is one of those images where I find myself asking what is it within the image I am supposed to be relating to, or what is it exactly that you are directing my attention towards, as I am unable to find anything - sorry.

Photobloke

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 08:34:11 am »

Hi John

With respect and sincerity, would you explain to me why (on my monitor at any rate) the very white reflected cloud in this picture is acceptable, and the (not as bright) white cloud in my "Karoo Clouds" post is not?

William

Well, it's a perfectly reasonable question. However, I didn't actually say that my cloud was acceptable. I've put this picture up here for critique, and it is for you to criticise it. If the cloud is an issue which you find compromises the picture, then you must say so. To be honest, it's not something that had struck me particularly at the time I printed the frame.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 09:11:56 am »

Hi John

Thanks for the reply.

I must say, try as I might to not be, I am distracted by the bright cloud (also "bleeding" out of the picture) and the upper right quarter with the (apparently) solid black.

I take your point about you not having said that the cloud was acceptable. I thought about that when I made the post, but I trusted that your decision to post it meant you were happy with it. 

William

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens
Pages: [1]   Go Up