Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Locations Around Las Vegas  (Read 4521 times)

andrew.robertson

Locations Around Las Vegas
« on: April 11, 2011, 11:26:27 am »

Hello,

I'm from Sydney (Australia) and in Vegas for a conference.  I can see landscapes out of my hotel window that we just don't have around Sydney.    I have two free days and am hoping to get some advice on locations that can be reached from Las Vegas and return in a day - and I won't get lost (driving on the other side of the road).

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Lonnie Utah

Re: Locations Around Las Vegas
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 11:28:56 am »

Locally, get to Valley of Fire State Park as soon as possible!! There is also Red Rock Canyon.  Make sure you are at these places at sunrise or sunset.  You are also about an hour or less from hoover dam, it's pretty impressive.  

If you don't mind driving, you are about 3 hours (one way) from Zion National Park in Southwestern Utah and it would be well worth the drive.  

Also at about 3 hours is Cathedral Gorge St park, but I don't think I'd do that one over Zion.  Neat opportunities there, but it's a small place.  On the flip side, it isn't well photographed.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:45:06 am by Lonnie Utah »

andrew.robertson

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 10:40:02 pm »

Thanks so much for that ...... !

Regards,
Andrew ;-)

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 10:49:52 pm »

I'll second the Valley of Fire, it's only an hour or so northeast of Las Vegas a little ways off the 15.  I've shot there a number of times, it looks like another world, in fact once a Star Trek shuttlecraft was parked next to my location!  Jim

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 11:25:53 pm »

I just spent two lovely days there.  One of prettiest campsites in America and some very challenging scenery.  Take the long way back to Vegas via Boulder City and Henderson.

kate61

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 08:09:21 pm »

Re Valley of Fire: I'm also hoping to get in to see Valley of Fire on my way from Ivins/St George on the last day of my trip this fall. Will have an entire day to spend (planning to spend morning in Snow Canyon then see Valley of Fire (don't leave Vegas until late evening). Question: coming from St George, is it better to approach Valley of Fire via 169 and then head to Vegas on Valley of Fire Hwy, or just go in and out Valley of Fire Hwy?

Thanks for tips!

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 08:16:12 pm »

PS.  Summer time temperatures in all those locations can be EXTREME!  Be sure you are prepared for that.  There ain't a lot of shade in some of those places.

Here's an almanac for Las Vegas itself.  Click the "Record High" box to see what's possible.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandgarden/pets/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USNV0049

Peter McLennan

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 05:09:29 pm »

Question: coming from St George, is it better to approach Valley of Fire via 169 and then head to Vegas on Valley of Fire Hwy, or just go in and out Valley of Fire Hwy?

Thanks for tips!

Depends on how much time you have.  Entering V of F from the Northwest off I-15 and 169 and returning to I-15 by the same route will get you to LV faster, but that portion of I-15 is not scenic and requires you to cross all of LV if you're bound for the airport.  Alternatively, after entering V of F from I-15, continuing to Las Vegas via NV 167 and NV 147 or (better) NV 564 and I-515 via Henderson, NV is MUCH prettier but probably at least two hours longer.  More if you stop to shoot the scenery.  A superb (and traffic-free) bit of asphalt, it would be gorgeous in the late afternoon.

andrew.robertson

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 09:31:38 pm »

Well.....  I'm back in Sydney

I rented a car and drove up to the Valley of Fire on Friday afternoon.  I stayed until almost 8:00pm and got lost on the way back ........  It's all an adventure.  It was a 3/4 moon and a nice sunset - I have lots of HDRs to process.

But ......Wow!!!!  That is one amazing location..... I could spend a lot of time there :-)

Thanks for the advice.  If you are nearby don't miss it.  It's only 50 miles from the Vegas Strip.

BTW - I'm very pleased I invested in an inexpensive light weight tripod to travel with.  Nothing that I would want to use a lot, but it did the job.

francois

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 02:58:16 am »

Well.....  I'm back in Sydney

I rented a car and drove up to the Valley of Fire on Friday afternoon.  I stayed until almost 8:00pm and got lost on the way back ........  It's all an adventure.  It was a 3/4 moon and a nice sunset - I have lots of HDRs to process.

But ......Wow!!!!  That is one amazing location..... I could spend a lot of time there :-)

Thanks for the advice.  If you are nearby don't miss it.  It's only 50 miles from the Vegas Strip.

BTW - I'm very pleased I invested in an inexpensive light weight tripod to travel with.  Nothing that I would want to use a lot, but it did the job.

Thanks for the report! It's a shame that you only had so little time there.
Francois

kate61

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 07:26:42 am »

Peter, thanks for the advice. Will try the more scenic route if time (and companions) allow!
Pages: [1]   Go Up