Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: basICColor Discus  (Read 2799 times)

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
basICColor Discus
« on: April 11, 2011, 06:13:42 am »

I've been having a try out of the basICColor Discus, and have written up a few notes if anyone was curious about an £800/$1200 monitor calibrator device...
basICColor Discus review

Works very well on the NEC SVR271 and even produced excellent results on my old Apple CinemaHD display.

A bit over the top for the levels of colour accuracy I require - hope the info is of use to those with deeper pockets and more stringent profiling requirements than mine ;-)
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

howardm

Re: basICColor Discus
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:00:57 am »

Keith,

I own the software and don't care for the Basic licensing scheme either :( and certainly am not in the market for a such a class of device.

Quick question:  What *exact* version of the software shows up when you do an 'About' command?  I can see some subtle differences
between your screenshots and what the normal 4.1.22 software does.  And all you did was a vanilla download from their site?

And I agree that 'restart to validate' is annnoying but I will say that in my experience, even w/ making sure that the new profile is loaded
into ColorSync, it *does* make a difference in validation results.  You'd think they could find a better way.

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:30:56 am »

It's V4.2.4 - apparently this has Discus support in it.  I had to make sure to get the latest to work OK
bye for now -- Keith

msbc

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 04:37:07 am »

It's V4.2.4 - apparently this has Discus support in it.  I had to make sure to get the latest to work OK

Keith, the latest basICColor Display on their site is 4.1.22. Can you post a link to 4.2.4?
Mark Connell
Melbourne, Australia

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 05:34:34 am »

I just went to their site and filled in the info to get a tryout copy - 4.2.4 was what turned up, so I don't have a direct link - why not ask them?

They also have a version of the NEC Spectraview software that works with the Discus, but I didn't get a chance to test that (only had the SVR271 for a short while)
bye for now -- Keith

howardm

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 08:13:50 am »

I just sent an email to them inquiring about that and will let you know.

msbc

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 08:27:01 am »

I just sent an email to them inquiring about that and will let you know.

So did I :-)
Mark Connell
Melbourne, Australia

howardm

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 09:36:04 am »

their response........

the version 4.2.x is just an interims version for basICColor DISCUS costumers.
We are working on basICColor display 5 which will include all the features of the ver. 4.2.
Right now I can't tell you when display 5 will be released. Hopefully it will be in the first half of this year.

I'm sure they'll give me the opportunity to spend 50% new or something to upgrade  :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up