Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sedona?  (Read 3792 times)

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Sedona?
« on: January 02, 2005, 09:41:52 pm »

Someone just asked pretty much the same question in the "Printers, Papers & Inks" forum (don't ask me why that one, I have no clue  :p  ).  I had an answer there.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

howard smith

Sedona?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 04:01:14 pm »

I have no idea how difficult it will be for you to return to either Sedona or Antelope, but if I were heading for Antelope, I would go there.  I would use the etra day to return to Antelope after viewing my shots to reshoot.  I have almost never seen one of my shots that I didn't think I could do better next time.

If time allows, hit Oak Creek on the way back.  Or, shoot the other Antelope.  Or the other again.  I guess my idea is to try one place well, rather than try to squeeze in too much.

ddolde

Sedona?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 08:42:10 pm »

I like the Dry Creek Road area on the western edge. You can take it back to Longs's Canyon and hike in.  Turn right at the tee.  I took this shot from Dry Creek Road a bit before the tee where there is some elevation to shoot from.  It's 4 or 5 stitched frames with a Contax 645, 140mm + 1.4x, Kodak DCS pro back.

http://www.painted-with-light.com/NEW_WORK...A_PAN_LARGE.jpg

But Sedona pales to more northern spots such as the Grand Canyon and Zion.  Also Sedona is so built up it's hard to get shots without structures unless you use a long lens.

SLane

Sedona?
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 01:07:17 pm »

Red rock crossing is the classic area, very nice, it's a State park, and costs a few dollars to get in. The Vilage of Oak Creek has Cathedral rock and other buttes, and go up airport road, there is a pull off just before the Sedona airport, great views.  BTW, the forest service now charges $5 a day to park just about anywhere scenic in the Sedona area, purchase permit at any gas station or mini-mart.  Boyinton canyon is nice, but about a 6 mile hike, round trip, kind of hilly, gets real steep at the end, and takes at least 4 hours, more if you stop to take photos.  It took me 6 hours, but I stopped a lot.  Sedona is VERY crowded on weekends, and traffic is bad, so plan accordingly.  March is an excellent time of year in Sedona, much better than summer.

Stuart

FGARVIN

Sedona?
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 04:31:10 pm »

I will be going through Arizona in late March, I would like to spend a day in Sedona, what would be some good photo spots?

FGARVIN

Sedona?
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 12:15:47 am »

Ooooooops, I mistakenly left it in the wrong forum, thanks NNIKO, I will check the other resources, I think there is a place called Oak Creek Canyon? Which may be the only think I'll have a chance to explore due to time constraints, thanks again.

xato

Sedona?
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 05:53:40 pm »

Hi,
There was a flood in Oak Creek Canyon/Sedona on 12/20. I find things a bit ugly right after a large torrent of water so you might throw this into your mix of considerations.

FGARVIN

Sedona?
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 10:49:03 pm »

That is a very nice shot Ddolde. Howard,  you are right about trying to do too much, there is just so much in that area. I will let you know how it comes out, thanks again to all of you.

psychprof

Sedona?
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 05:37:03 pm »

Absolutely check out: http://www.daleyimages.com/photography_homepage.htm . I too spent a day or two in Sedona last year around April and hired Rick, a mature photographer who lives in Sedona and is a trained ecologist, to take me out to NON-tourist spots one morning. He was unbelievable in his knowledge of the area, his insight, gental helpfulness as a photographer and interest in helping me improve my technique in a wonderfully beautiful setting. We set out at about 6:30 am and returned about noon. His prices were very reasonable, I HIGHLY recommend him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up