Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: isolating gloss enhancer on z' series  (Read 1034 times)

artbot

isolating gloss enhancer on z' series
« on: April 10, 2011, 02:35:15 pm »

i'm new to this forum.  but old to digital mixed media.  wondering if there is a z series guru that can answer the question.

is it possible to isolate the gloss enhancer in the z3100 or z3200 as a spot channel on a second pass?  i.e.  reload the print and with some software workaround print a second file on top (registered to the original print) to specific areas?

one other question concerning this is that the hp's cut sheet handling isn't too good.  i print solely on cut sheet.  how difficult is it to reload pre-printed sheets.

this page discusses many workarounds to bypass some firmware issues and trick the printer so i think it's possible but not completely sure.

http://www.pigment-print.com/review/Z3200FirstPage_5.htm

i currently have a mimaki 160sp (converted to a flatbed) that i simply run a grayscale file to the black head (switch that head to a clear solvent ink). i'd like to repeat those effects on a new waterbased machine for paper pieces.

Ernst Dinkla

Re: isolating gloss enhancer on z' series
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 03:12:56 am »

There has been a thread not so long ago where using a second run for the gloss enhancer was discussed. If it is about covering the total print page then is as easy as creating a print page in the driver and using a small image strip at one side that can be cut off later on. At least when printing from Qimage that is possible. In gloss enhancer economy mode you can use my second run register method you quoted and create a white image of the same size as the printed image + alter the 255, 255, 255 RGB white with a print filter in Qimage like described here:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=40521
or use an adaption of the printer profile in Photoshop to create the same effect, in that case RGB 255 255 255 should become 254 254 255, it needs slightly more to trigger the gloss enhancer channel. I have not tested it but in theory you could also change the white image from RGB 255 255 255 to 254 254 255 in Photoshop for the same effect.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

New: Spectral plots of +250 inkjet papers:

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

artbot

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 04:42:22 am »

keeping in mind that my expertise is in coatings and mechanical re-engineering of printers.  i have very limited knowledge of the technical side of color/printing.

the print would be a white image.  which would tell the printer to print where there is "data" but that "data" is virtually colorless, ...so very lightly colored that the amount of ink laid down is undectable.  but the rip would promp the GE head to print in tandem.

two questions about this ink (because i've not seen this GE ink. i figure i can mix my own formula, but i'm curious of the HP Gloss enhancing ink), does the ink dry quickly (or how long does the GE take to be completely dry?  also, can the gloss enhancer bleed color below it if printed in a second pass? 

and how difficult might it be to re-register prints in the HP machine.  can the printer, by blocking the IR sensors, be tricked into believing that roll paper never leaves the machine so that setting sheets doesn't prompt measuring, etc.

thank you to anyone that can help me with these questions.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 05:20:08 am »

Methods to fool the sensors on a Z model are already in the articles/messages I wrote. There is a mechanical switch in the paper insert slit that could be shortcut for what you intend but for the first sheet you still need its normal function I guess.  You will find its function described in other threads. It will "feel" the leading and trailing edge of the roll, sheet.

Drying of the GE is quite fast but drying depends on the paper coating, some gloss/satin papers drink it like beer on other g/s papers it stays on top.

Back in my mind I still wonder how image bleeding is kept at bay with the gloss enhancer in use on the same run.  Whether there is some incompatibility between them that repels one from the other or a reaction that freezes further bleeding, I do not know. On a second run I would not worry about it at all, at least not with what the HP GE does.

There are ink media/gloss enhancers available from third parties, at least for the Epson models R800 to R1900.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
Pages: [1]   Go Up