Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripods. Heavy duty and quick to set up?  (Read 4591 times)

E_Edwards

Tripods. Heavy duty and quick to set up?
« on: April 09, 2011, 02:40:51 pm »

Heavy duty, but quick to change height up and down with minimal effort. I want to avoid the bending down to unscrew or unlock each leg as you do with the typical Gitzo tripod, as I find this too time consuming, tiresome and sometimes dangerous when you have a very heavy view camera plus digital back balancing on top.

Many will think: how can setting up a tripod be time consuming? Well, when you are shooting dozens and dozens of positions and angles a day, you will do anything to make your day more comfortable and less tiring, plus you want to avoid back strain as much as possible.

Are you familiar with the top of the line Manfrottos which have three red levers at the top of the tripod for a quick release of all three legs simultaneously (or each leg individually).  That's the kind I want. Just press the three levers and you can raise the tripod to the right position and then lock.

It needs to have a central column with crank.

Any other tripods apart from the Manfrotto that have a similar quick release for the three legs simultaneously that you can recommend?

The Manfrottos I'm referring to are fine...but I want something better and more solid.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Re: Tripods. Heavy duty and quick to set up?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 02:56:38 pm »

Cambo stand? Easy to roll around the studio and effortlessly adjustable. Extremely heavy and the pure definition of sturdy. (Not a tripod of course). Some of the sturdiest tripods are the Sachtlers but there you have the problem of adjusting again.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 03:06:32 pm by Dustbak »

E_Edwards

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 03:06:53 pm »

I have stands in the studio...that's the reason I hate tripods!

But I've never felt comfortable with tripods and I need to find the best possible solution to take with me to shoots abroad.

Actually, I have taken a studio stand in the car to a couple of places in Europe. I shortened the column a little for this purpose, so it would fit in the car diagonally with the back seats down. I dismantled the column and took it together with the heavy base and the horizontal cross arm. But it weighs a lot, and you will agree that it's not very practical!

I am also considering buying the Foba Portrait Pro (small studio stand) just for this purpose, but I could not take it on the aeroplane and I'm not sure it will be stable enough anyway. It can take loads up to 10 Kilograms. but I think a Sinar plus digital back is quite close to 10 Kg., maybe a bit more.

Here is the link to the Foba stand:  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/273344-REG/Foba_31_0120_Portrait_Pro_Camera_Stand.html
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 03:18:01 pm by E_Edwards »

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 03:25:28 pm »

I can open all three locks on my 1-series Gitzo with a single twist of a wrist, and it takes less than a second. I can just open all three on my 5-series, but it's easier to do it in two twists - my hands are on the small side for a man so many can do it easily on one go. I open and extend the legs while standing tall, and attach the camera only after the tripod is standing.

A geared center column with a crank would ease in height adjustment, but adds considerable weight - I'm sure those are available for most big tripod brands.

E_Edwards

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 04:34:50 pm »

I don't understand what the Gitzo G-lock does. Do you mean that you can unlock all three legs with a twist and the tripod will still stand and not collapse?

Or do you have to unlock one leg, make it taller or lower, tripod tilts to one side, then go the the other leg, make it taller or lower, tripod tilts to the other side... and so on?

I need to have the camera on the tripod all the time, taking it off the tripod would simply be too time consuming.

This is the problem with not having proper camera shops anymore, everything seems to be on line, you just can't see how things work anymore.

Actually, I just saw a video in youtube that shows the g-lock, it's just a quick release lock for each leg, doesn't really solve my problem.

I think some of the better video tripods have the features I need in terms of quickly adjusting height with a central quick release lever situated at the top of the tripod, but I'm not sure they have the centre column with crank that you find in stills tripods.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:14:53 pm by E_Edwards »

feppe

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 08:52:24 pm »

I don't understand what the Gitzo G-lock does. Do you mean that you can unlock all three legs with a twist and the tripod will still stand and not collapse?

That doesn't parse. If I unlock the legs, they will collapse by definition. But yes, I can unlock all three logs (of a 1-series) Gitzo with one twist.

Or do you have to unlock one leg, make it taller or lower, tripod tilts to one side, then go the the other leg, make it taller or lower, tripod tilts to the other side... and so on?

Of course. We don't have robotic tripods, yet.

I'm just saying that you seem to have unreasonable expectations for a tripod.

I need to have the camera on the tripod all the time, taking it off the tripod would simply be too time consuming.

This is the problem with not having proper camera shops anymore, everything seems to be on line, you just can't see how things work anymore.

Actually, I just saw a video in youtube that shows the g-lock, it's just a quick release lock for each leg, doesn't really solve my problem.

I think some of the better video tripods have the features I need in terms of quickly adjusting height with a central quick release lever situated at the top of the tripod, but I'm not sure they have the centre column with crank that you find in stills tripods.

You can unlock all three locks with one twist. You have to lock each leg separately; thinking there's a product that does what you "need" is a pipe dream. Whoever comes up with the concept of locking all three locks at the same time with the legs extended will be a rich man, as it hasn't been done, yet.

The main benefit of Gitzo's G-lock is that it locks tighter the more pressure you put on the legs, in addition to fast locking/unlocking.

As I said earlier, Gitzo (and others) have center columns with a crank.

Acratech (and I'm sure others) have a leveling base which is used for... leveling the base. I have no need for something like that, but might be something worth looking at for you.

E_Edwards

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 03:27:48 am »

Feppe,

Just because you haven't seen one, it doesn't mean they don't exist!

I've used them only 2 weeks ago whilst on a job abroad.

Take a look at this video (in German) in youtube to see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mPrl-hZ7oY

Also as listed in B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554073-REG/Manfrotto_058B_058B_Aluminum_Studio_Pro.html

and on the Manfrotto website:

http://www.manfrotto.com/product/058B

I've seen similar ideas as far back as 20 years ago

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 03:40:50 am by E_Edwards »

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 03:44:00 am »

Most rental houses carry the 058B and it's one of the sturdiest (and heaviest) tripods money can buy:-)
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

feppe

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 05:56:06 am »

Feppe,

Just because you haven't seen one, it doesn't mean they don't exist!

I've used them only 2 weeks ago whilst on a job abroad.

Take a look at this video (in German) in youtube to see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mPrl-hZ7oY

Also as listed in B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554073-REG/Manfrotto_058B_058B_Aluminum_Studio_Pro.html

and on the Manfrotto website:

http://www.manfrotto.com/product/058B

I've seen similar ideas as far back as 20 years ago

Ok I see where you're going - those types of tripods and many meant for pro video use are much heavier and don't fold nearly as small as the ones photographers are used to. Also, that one only has one lock per leg, not three. It also weighs over double what a 5-series CF Gitzo does, has half the load capacity, and is 1/3 longer when folded. But those might be welcome compromises if it meets your requirements.

SeanBK

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 01:37:28 pm »

I have Gitzo 3530 purchased last fall & my old Manfrotto 3530 (for past 25/30 yrs). I wish I would NOT have bought Gitzo3530 as it is not as convenient as Manfrotto 3530. Yes, it does do everything with that red lever. A perfect design, sad nobody else makes with that concept. Drawback is Manfrotto is quite heavier than Gitzo, but Manfrotto is also lot more sturdier.

ctz

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 02:57:14 pm »

+1 for  manfrotto 058B.
altough on the heavy side.

E_Edwards

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 05:24:57 pm »

I don't mind if it's heavy, so long as it does the job!

Having used the Manfrotto 058B for 10 days, I didn't find it that heavy, normal for the kind of size and the heavy loads.

There are other tripods in the market that look even more robust and well made, but unfortunately they don't have the quick simultaneous release of the legs that the 058B has.

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 03:54:57 am »

I used the Triaut for many years. I loved it, my assistants hated it. it works really well in a midsize height, extending the chrome inner legs makes it very wobbly. the centre column is not as sturdy as the rest of the gig, a slight twisting can develop after a time. compared to gitzos it's cheap, so buying a new one after a couple of years really is an option. I used it with a Manfrotto 410, which becomes a bit wobbly too after some years in use. For internal architecture shots  I added a Manfrotto dolly to it, where i could glide around the place, using the red levers for quick up and down, which is the closest you could do to hand holding a camera. the assistant was following with a tethered laptop in his hands. fantastic if you don't have a lot of time in a venue, but still want a tripod.

nowadays I use a Gitzo with the Multiflex head. slower to set up, but much more precise. I added a few numbered pencil lines to the second extension of legs to change height level a bit more quickly.
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

E_Edwards

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 05:43:33 am »

Yes, I have a similar size Manfrotto, the 075, and the centre column develops a little play after a while, which disappears as soon as you lock it. And you are right, I found the 058B OK...ish, but I wish they adapted the same leg mechanism on a sturdier and lighter tripod.  Still, it seems the 058B is the only one tripod I can find that will go up and down easily.

I like the idea of a dolly, particularly a sturdy one which can apply breaks on the wheels. In an ideal world, I'd like a dolly with a central break to all three wheels simultaneously, but I am not sure they exist.

This way I can probably put my foot down on the dolly whilst I raise or lower the whole camera/tripod to the desired height, making the whole thing quick and easy.

With a conventional tripod, you normally adjust the legs to what you estimate is the right height, then you check from the camera point of view and think, umm, actually, I want it a bit lower, so back to the tedious task of lowering each leg a little more and so on. It's really not practical if you need to move fast, something difficult to understand unless you are a photographer who regularly works in such situation.

feppe

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 12:19:00 pm »

Yes, I have a similar size Manfrotto, the 075, and the centre column develops a little play after a while, which disappears as soon as you lock it. And you are right, I found the 058B OK...ish, but I wish they adapted the same leg mechanism on a sturdier and lighter tripod.  Still, it seems the 058B is the only one tripod I can find that will go up and down easily.

I like the idea of a dolly, particularly a sturdy one which can apply breaks on the wheels. In an ideal world, I'd like a dolly with a central break to all three wheels simultaneously, but I am not sure they exist.

This way I can probably put my foot down on the dolly whilst I raise or lower the whole camera/tripod to the desired height, making the whole thing quick and easy.

With a conventional tripod, you normally adjust the legs to what you estimate is the right height, then you check from the camera point of view and think, umm, actually, I want it a bit lower, so back to the tedious task of lowering each leg a little more and so on. It's really not practical if you need to move fast, something difficult to understand unless you are a photographer who regularly works in such situation.

I have just the thing for you - no additional gear required!

BillOConnor

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 09:38:39 am »

Why anyone uses a metal tripod is beyond my understanding.
Look at Ries or Berlebach tripods. Once you use a wood tripod, you'll wonder why it took so long
to wise up. Carbon fiber is better than aluminum, but twice to three times the cost of a decent wooden
tripod. Everyone thinks they are only for field use, not true. Ries tripods have legs that lock in any position,
I've fitted mine with a Gitzo center column and it's the bomb.

EPd

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 09:53:41 pm »

This is the dolly you want:
http://www.manfrotto.com/product/0/181B/_/Automatic_Folding_Dolly_Black
It has central foot control and is foldable. Good thing is it does not have braked wheels, but it lifts up its wheels, so it will land on its fixed feet. Rock solid positioning. Have been using it for many years with a 058B. (And still use it whenever approriate.) The feet of the 058B can be fixed to the dolly so that you will not have to fix the spreaders of the tripod in between positionings. The legs of the tripod cannot slide away because they will be held together by the dolly. There is nothing else that comes closer to what you ultimately want.

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 01:55:03 pm »

yes, that is the one I was using. Maybe it's time to get it out of the basement, again...
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

DeeJay

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 02:22:18 pm »

My vote for Manfrotto 058B

Quick and solid as ever.

E_Edwards

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 02:58:36 pm »

Brilliant, thank you, that dolly in conjunction with the 058B looks exactly what I need!

Edward
Pages: [1]   Go Up