Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What glue to fix a Gitzo  (Read 6556 times)

Marlyn

What glue to fix a Gitzo
« on: April 08, 2011, 11:06:06 am »

Having a few issues with My Gitzo.   

What glue do folks think is best for fixing a Gitzo ?   

I need to:
1. Glue one leg back into the metal sleeve at the top
2. Glue one foot back into the leg
3. Glue the bubble level back in to the Leveling Plate.

Gitzo 3541LS tripod that does get used and abused a lot outdoors.  I suspect it was its encounter with the sea or a recent stream that caused these issues, but not sure.  Just had a couple bits come appart recently.  (a Leg falling off when I picked it up after using it in middle of a stream was VERY uncool !)

Regards

Mark

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: What glue to fix a Gitzo
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 11:20:40 am »

Having a few issues with My Gitzo.   

What glue do folks think is best for fixing a Gitzo ?   

I need to:
1. Glue one leg back into the metal sleeve at the top
2. Glue one foot back into the leg
3. Glue the bubble level back in to the Leveling Plate.

Gitzo 3541LS tripod that does get used and abused a lot outdoors.  I suspect it was its encounter with the sea or a recent stream that caused these issues, but not sure.  Just had a couple bits come appart recently.  (a Leg falling off when I picked it up after using it in middle of a stream was VERY uncool !)

Regards

Mark

Not sure what's good for bonding (I assume) carbon fiber to metal. Have you tried contacting Gitzo?

Salty water is pure murder for metal and many other substances, so that's probably the culprit. Any surface coming into contact with salt water should be cleaned thoroughly as soon as possible. Gitzo has some tripods specifically designed to withstand sea water, not familiar with those, though.

stever

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 04:15:52 pm »

i've got a 2 carbon fiber tripods (not gitzo) and have had bond failures on both columns and legs.  from a couple blogs and talking to Gitzo owners their experience isn't much difference.  looking at my tripod failures i don't think the joint design is that great - don't know about Gitzo.  I believe all the carbon fiber tripod manufactures have quality control issues with the adhesive bonds both the carbon fiber and aluminum must be properly cleaned and abraded and the epoxy (which which i believe is what everyone uses) must be evenly distributed in the joint.  Unfortunatley there's no way to inspect or test the joint after assembly without tearing it apart.

i think a slow setting epoxy is probably best, some are supposedly designed for adhesion to plastic but i'm not sure it makes a differenc.  the joint should be cleaned with alcohol, both the aluminum and carbon fiber roughened with sandpaper, then cleaned again before applying the epoxy and putting it together

from recent experience (fortunately not far from Lowe's) i plan to take epoxy, sandpaper, and alcohol on all future trips

if you can find a bike shop that repairs carbon fiber frames they may be able to help, but they didn't have a specific adhesive recommendation for me.  i'm not as all sure that any of the tripod manufacturer's service facilities will do any better job either

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 05:07:08 pm »

Most glues work best as a thin film - if you need more than a thin film, then use an epoxy filler.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

stever

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 05:36:40 pm »

Dick is correct.  However if more than a thin film is required, the repair probably won't be very reliable.

Marlyn

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 03:01:07 am »

I'll probably just give Araldite a go.   It fixes pretty much everything else !

I agree on the issues with salt water.  I religiously wash down / clean anything thats been even near salt water.   12 years in the navy gave me a VERY healthy respect for the damage salt water can do to anything, in a scarily short amount of time !.

Will give the good old standard a go as posted above.
- Clean the surfaces of old glue.
- Abrade them with some emery paper
- Clean with Alchohol or similar
- Araldite, thin film I agree, evenly spread on both surfaces.
- Press to fit !

Will post results after I do it, and take it out for a spin afterwards.   Of course the proof isn't weather it sticks then and there (i'm sure it will),  the proof will be if it REMAINS stuck,  a few months from now, after it gets hot, cold, wet, etc etc.

Regards

Mark.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 02:32:37 pm »

I'd suggest slow set epoxy, which is pretty much the same as the two part resin used to laminate the CF matting and sticks to metal fairly well. Might even consider JB Weld. And as mentioned, surface preparation is important. Cleaner the better.

To flog the horse some more...always wash salt water off as soon as possible after use. Plastic doesn't corrode, but sea water leaves a crusty mess when it dries and can cause other problems. I backpack quite a bit and always wipe down my X6 tripod, and everything else, after every trip. Still looks and works as new.

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 09:46:22 pm »

How about giving Really Right Stuff a call. They sell and repair Gitzo as well as their own brand and have always been very helpful when I have talked to them.

viewfinder

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 05:09:29 am »

Be warned that there are specific epoxies for carbon fibre.    CF is a strange material to use and has it's own unique set of problems (as well as advantages)...for example; it conducts electricity well, hence regular deaths of anglers who inadvertently connect with power lines, and the individual fibres in the material can 'wear out' against eachother if strict manufacture is not adhered to etc.........And, I seem to remember a specific 'corrosion' difficulty with salt water.......

.............You could always phone up Lockheed 'skunk works' and ask......... 8)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:11:39 am by viewfinder »

urbanpicasso

• davidbogdan/urbanpicassostudios
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 06:26:18 am »

If you bought the Gitzo new and have your original paperwork, Gitzo will honor their lifetime warranty, contact them and send it in. If not, I have a friend that bought a inexpensive knock off on ebay that had similar issues. I suggested Gorilla glue, the clear amber type, from the Home depot. It worked like a champ, two years and still holding strong.
db
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 06:27:54 am by davidbogdan »
Pages: [1]   Go Up