Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson R3000  (Read 1663 times)

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Epson R3000
« on: April 08, 2011, 06:54:42 am »

Has anyone here taken delivery of the new Epson R3000 yet? And if so, how do you like it - any problems at all? I know that folks around here tend to have only very HUGE printers, but sometimes a little good 'un does the job  ;)

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Farmer

Re: Epson R3000
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 06:01:22 pm »

I've run a few prints on one, John.  The build quality is very nice and the prints are comparable to the output of a 3800/3880, just on a smaller form factor.

I haven't done any quantitive tests on speed, but it seems quite reasonable.

For that end of the market, the ink cartridges are something like 2 or 3 times larger than the average (specifically it's predecessor).  The WiFi could be handy, too.

If you have lower volumes or space restricted or just never print larger, then it's definitely a nice option.  For higher volumes and larger prints, the 3880 stacks up as being more flexible and more economical.

I haven't done enough prints to have run into any problems, so can't comment in that regard.  Also, I've only printed on one paper, so again can't comment in that regard, either.
Phil Brown

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
Re: Epson R3000
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 11:19:49 pm »

I have had an R3000 for about 3 weeks now, and it is a solid machine. It is definitely the best 13" printer on the market. The new features, such as black switching, WiFi and a great user interface were all welcome additions. The quality of the prints are, as mentioned above, in line with 3800 / 3880 output, but I think we have reached a place where features are less important incrementally than usability.

With that being said, for $800 to $850 the printer isn't as good of a value when compared with the 3880. The 3880 ships with about $450 worth of ink, and when you consider what the 3880 gives you it is like buying an R3000 in price and then a ton of ink.

I would get the 3880, as you invest more up front but have great efficiency of ink costs down the road.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up