Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H3D - Aperture/Phocus  (Read 1760 times)

Bruce MacNeil

H3D - Aperture/Phocus
« on: April 07, 2011, 09:09:01 pm »

Hi -

I just purchased an H3D39 - not the "II" - the original H3D.

I think I can use Aperture if I first 'import' the files into Phocus and thus convert the files from 3FR files to FFF files.

The FFF files I have edited in Aperture seem fine - my earlier experiments with a loaner H4D-40 worked well in Aperture.

My plan is to go from Card to external USB drive and then back to Aperture.

I understand that Phocus is likely 'better' for Blad files but my workflow/management has been Aperture for 6 years.

Thoughts? Am I off base?
Bruce MacNeil PhD; M. Div.; M.Fol.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Re: H3D - Aperture/Phocus
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 04:39:42 am »

Bruce

My first thought is that Lightroom can read 3FR files directly, which solves the problem if you don't want to use Phocus. But as an Aperture user you probably would not want to make the change to LR. And you would also lose the lens corrections available within Phocus.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Bruce MacNeil

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 06:53:18 am »

Thanks - I never thought of Lightroom.
Bruce MacNeil PhD; M. Div.; M.Fol.

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 10:31:15 am »

You should use Phocus to process your Hasselblad files.

I went to a Hasselblad Phocus seminar recently and learned that Phocus
has a unique process. Hasselblad has a huge database of the properties
of its HC lenses. The software has reads the serial number of the lens and
applies digital correction to compensate for any "challenges" that particular
lot had optically.
I never knew that before and thought it was particularly impressive. Best of
all Phocus 2.6 is FREE.

Not to mention that Hasselblad writes its software to pull the most out of its
sensor data.
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

John R Smith

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 10:37:24 am »

You should use Phocus to process your Hasselblad files.

I went to a Hasselblad Phocus seminar recently and learned that Phocus
has a unique process. Hasselblad has a huge database of the properties
of its HC lenses. The software has reads the serial number of the lens and
applies digital correction to compensate for any "challenges" that particular
lot had optically.
I never knew that before and thought it was particularly impressive.

Quite. So in other words Hasselblad can now not worry about QC or good lens design and just correct out all the crap in software. Such is progress . . .

;) John
an

John R Smith

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 10:55:34 am »

...as in the DAC corrections for V Series lenses?

Well, Keith, my comment was ever-so-slightly tongue in cheek. By the by, I tried those CF lens corrections and I couldn't see any difference. Well, it did make the corners of my 80mm a bit lighter, which was exactly the opposite effect to the one I want in my prints . . .

We don't want a load of clever software. We just want damn fine lenses (you know, the ones Zeiss and Schneider used to make).

John
an

JV

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 11:07:23 am »

The H Series and Phocus deliver both.

+1

fredjeang

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 11:26:54 am »

I like Phocus. Apart for delivering the best of fff files (wich is also the case in C1+Phase files) this software is all I need at the stage of developing.

We know that the PS stage is almost obliged in most of the cases, with layers and layers, so why complicating more with hybrid softwares that do all-in-one but not specialized in anything?

A simple Raw software from the back's House, or even the ACR and direct to the PS case is in my case a time saving configuration, and it bloody works.  

John R Smith

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 01:19:12 pm »

We know that the PS stage is almost obliged in most of the cases, with layers and layers, so why complicating more with hybrid softwares that do all-in-one but not specialized in anything?

Fred

You know I loves ya, but here I have to take issue. PS might be obliged in most of your cases, but it certainly is not in mine. Lightroom has pretty much everything I need for my B/W landscapes, and I can just import my 3FR files into it and get going. It's horses for courses, again. Your needs, and the needs of many pros here, are way different to mine - I don't have to worry about colour balance or colour profiles, for example. And I certainly don't want lens corrections - the aberations in the old Zeiss glass are part of what gives them their character. Yes, I know, you will just dismiss all this as the ravings of a senile old fool who refuses to move with the times. And of course it's true . . . and I'm proud of it  ;)

And Keith - yes I am the Vignette King.

John
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 01:41:10 pm by John R Smith »
an

fredjeang

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 02:18:46 pm »

Fred

You know I loves ya, but here I have to take issue. PS might be obliged in most of your cases, but it certainly is not in mine. Lightroom has pretty much everything I need for my B/W landscapes, and I can just import my 3FR files into it and get going. It's horses for courses, again. Your needs, and the needs of many pros here, are way different to mine - I don't have to worry about colour balance or colour profiles, for example. And I certainly don't want lens corrections - the aberations in the old Zeiss glass are part of what gives them their character. Yes, I know, you will just dismiss all this as the ravings of a senile old fool who refuses to move with the times. And of course it's true . . . and I'm proud of it  ;)

And Keith - yes I am the Vignette King.

John
Not at all John.
In fact you are right. It just depends on your needs and imagery. If I where in your case I'd use Lightroom without doubt and that's all I'd need. Lightroom has certainly its strenghs and suits many photographers. In my case it is just a non sense because I do not gain what I need because it's more than a raw developer but not enough for by-passing the ps stage for my case, but my case is far from being everybody's case.
This world is as diverse as softwares are.

What yes it is generally admited is MF manufacturers tend to apply their special sauce in their softwares and generally the raw stage is done "better" with the brand's software.

Is it really better? Well, honestly I found some corrections indeed working more straightforward with more efficiency. It's not a gap, it's not huge but enough to be relevant for some. The Phocus mobile is a great gadget (and beleive me, I hate gadgeteries).

The vignette (ah, a french word) is maybe fun for streetshot but not at all for other works. I find that pushing isos to 800, I got better results with brands softwares in chroma and luminance noise than using a third party software. But nothing groundbreaking though. The part of the cake is how lenses are corrected.

It is also true that I'm reserved of this clinical imagery and search for perfection in digital world, and probably working with uncorrected lenses, some vignette, noise and the moire sagas is also a respectable path and powerfull imagery can be acheived with reduced DR and very old non-coated glass.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 02:56:22 pm by fredjeang »

John R Smith

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 03:11:25 pm »

That's great then Fred, we both agree to be different. I tell you what, almost my very favourite lens, and one which you would have to pry from my cold, dead hands, is mounted on an ancient 1928 view camera I have. The lens is a Jos Schneider Radionar 135mm, with just three elements (one cemented pair) and totally uncoated. But on 6x9 film the sharpness and quality of this little lens is utterly magical.

John
an
Pages: [1]   Go Up