Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moire  (Read 8360 times)

Yanick Dery

• http://www.yanickdery.com
Re: Moire
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 08:50:36 am »

Thought you've asked for before/ after samples?

I have receive some raws in private.  ;)

Yanick Dery

• http://www.yanickdery.com
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 11:08:38 am »

I had the chance to play a little more with the Hasselblad files in the software and I must admit I am quite impress with the result.

Seems that it is not an issue anymore  :-X

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 12:23:59 pm »

As long as you use the correct software tool moire has never been a show stopper...

Good thing about Capure One is that you can use the same tools with all your cameras; Leaf, Phase, Mamiya, Nikon, Canon etc.
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 01:21:44 pm »

And the next generation of digital backs will kick ass back. We know that's a fact. This cycle can go forever but digital evolution is going against medium format I'm afraid. FF is already so fricking good for just about anything that it is not necessary to mortgage your life anymore. Next generation 5D will definitely step into MF territory for a mere $2,500.00 usd.
Eduardo

Hi Yanick,

Just had a look at your website, very nice work. Personally I’m not going to put any more of my money into medium format. This year I have purchased 14-24mm F2.8G, 24mm PC F4.0G, 35mm F1.4G, 50mm F1.4G and 85mm 1.4G lenses to go with my Nikon D3X. I believe the next generation of Nikon and Canon’s are going to give the MFB makers are big kick in the ass. Can’t wait!

Simon

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 02:55:02 pm »

Next generation 5D will definitely step into MF territory for a mere $2,500.00 usd.

More likely $2,499 or $2,495....bets anyone?
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

bcooter

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 05:28:16 pm »

More likely $2,499 or $2,495....bets anyone?
'

We've been told for a long time that moire on medium format can be made to disappear or reduced greatly as megapixels go up.

That's a win-win for the makers as more megapixels distinguishes them from the dslr competition (though that boat has probably sailed).    For the people that want it they can get more detail and less moire and post production issues.

The only problem comes from what you shoot.  Shooting people the backs get way slower at these huge file sizes, storage costs go up, heavier computer power is needed to post process and regardless of some new lcds' medium format and computers go hand in hand, always will.

Nothing wrong with that in a professional atmosphere, but once again if you want to pop open the crystal ball of image making look first to the lower entry dslrs.

They have movie capabilities, (even Nikon has movie autofocus), in camera hdr, color correction, even some simple retouching functions.

Those features will eventually work their way up to the higher end professional cameras and that is where every one needs to be looking.  Not at the Bentley of cameras but the Kia's, because that's where the real innovation is coming from.

Professionals are in a weird place right now.  We've all added motion, all been expected to produce very close to commercial grade video along with high rez stills with double the on set workload, in 1/2 the post production delivery time, even on large budget high end productions.

So opening up my crystal ball and checking through dp review I have a feeling that whoever wins will offer a more robust, faster, quicker, better Nikon 5100, whether that be medium format still makers, RED, Arri, Canon, Nikon  . . . the list goes one.

Also gazing in the future I bet in a few years the word moire in digital capture just doesn't exist.

IMO

BC

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2011, 12:10:46 am »

Hi,

I'd just add two points.

1) Computer performance is increasing like 2x in 18 months. Per processor core performance has not really improved, but more cores are added for each generation of CPU-s. Perhaps the software engineers sooner and later fix software so the new multicores can be utilized fully. Disk sizes increase similarly.

2) It would be very well possible to shrink the image in camera if needed for performance.

Finally, MFDB vendors may come up with an optional OLP filter.  Mamiya ZD had that feature.

Best regards
Erik

'

We've been told for a long time that moire on medium format can be made to disappear or reduced greatly as megapixels go up.

That's a win-win for the makers as more megapixels distinguishes them from the dslr competition (though that boat has probably sailed).    For the people that want it they can get more detail and less moire and post production issues.

The only problem comes from what you shoot.  Shooting people the backs get way slower at these huge file sizes, storage costs go up, heavier computer power is needed to post process and regardless of some new lcds' medium format and computers go hand in hand, always will.

Nothing wrong with that in a professional atmosphere, but once again if you want to pop open the crystal ball of image making look first to the lower entry dslrs.

They have movie capabilities, (even Nikon has movie autofocus), in camera hdr, color correction, even some simple retouching functions.

Those features will eventually work their way up to the higher end professional cameras and that is where every one needs to be looking.  Not at the Bentley of cameras but the Kia's, because that's where the real innovation is coming from.

Professionals are in a weird place right now.  We've all added motion, all been expected to produce very close to commercial grade video along with high rez stills with double the on set workload, in 1/2 the post production delivery time, even on large budget high end productions.

So opening up my crystal ball and checking through dp review I have a feeling that whoever wins will offer a more robust, faster, quicker, better Nikon 5100, whether that be medium format still makers, RED, Arri, Canon, Nikon  . . . the list goes one.

Also gazing in the future I bet in a few years the word moire in digital capture just doesn't exist.

IMO

BC

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up