Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ColorMunki, I have a question from locked thread  (Read 1133 times)

buggz

ColorMunki, I have a question from locked thread
« on: April 07, 2011, 07:57:19 pm »

Hello,
>>Quote from: Light Seeker on April 05, 2011, 03:03:38 PM
Still, I like to tweak, and to get the most out of my printer. For that reason I've started using my ColorMunki with the ArgyllCMS. With Argyll I can measure a much larger number of patches, which has improved my profiles. Argyll's perceptual table generation is very good, and I have other areas where I can customize. However, the ArgyllCMS is a command line product, and you have to be comfortable working this way, and digging a bit deeper into colour management.
I also use my CM with the ArgyllCMS to measure the ambient lighting in my workspace. It's very handy to be know the ambient light level and temperature to ensure appropriate alignment with monitor brightness.

Is this working good for you?
I only looked at this some time ago, and it seems you had to manually reload the CM drivers everytime you wanted to go from Xrite CM software use to ArgyllCMS, vice-versa.
I will have to look at this again.
Know any good ArgyllCMS with CM tutorials?

I'm only a mere hobbyest, so right now I only have a dye printer, Canon PIXMA Pro 9000MkII.
I would really like to get an Epson 3880 class machine that uses the new HDR inkset.
Epson 3900 anytime soon?
Anywho, I always let my CM device heat up at least one hour before calibrating for use, and I always let my prints dry for at least 24 hours.
I recently bought a LOT of papers to profile, and between the way the CM software works, the numbers of differing papers, the number of print driver media choices, and trying to have a life, etc, 24 hours is very conservative, some paper I cannot get to for days.

Quote from: MHMG on April 05, 2011, 03:33:05 PM
Tom, you didn't say whether you want to build profiles for dye-based inkjet or only for pigmented inkjet printers. I ask this question because I think the Datacolor system is reasonably well suited for both in terms of low-cost profiling options, whereas the Colormunki's iterative target making process is only well suited to pigmented inks. Pigmented inks "dry down" to accurate color state relatively fast. Dye-based systems can sometimes take days to reach an accurate color state (depends on media, temperature, and humidity). If you jump the gun and measure the second dye-based image target required by the Colormunki approach within an hour or so after the first target measurement, any debates about instrument accuracy (ie., is a "spectrocolorimeter" as accurate as a spectrophotometer?) becomes a moot point.  The image dyes are still diffusing and print color can drift by several delta E in some color patches after a few hours or sometimes days.

Light Seeker

Re: ColorMunki, I have a question from locked thread
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 02:19:29 pm »

I'm on a Mac. X-Rite starts a process upon boot that ties up the ColorMunki. You'll notice the white light pulsing all the time. When I want to use it with the ArgyllCMS I simply go into the Mac configuration tool, click on X-Rite and turn off the ColorMunki. That's it. You should be able to turn it back on again the same way, if you want to use the X-Rite software again. I have not downloaded the latest version of the ArgyllCMS, but I know that Graeme was looking to make this seamless.

All of the ArgyllCMS tools are explained in detail here. . .

http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/ArgyllDoc.html

There is another page that takes you through some Typical Scenarios. This is where I suggest starting. . .

http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/Scenarios.html

The tool set is very flexible, so it will take you longer to understand the pieces and how to achieve your particular objective. Put another way, all of the decisions that the CM software makes for you, you now get to make and have to make. I'd be happy to share with you the options I've chosen, but I suggest that you work through the Typical Scenarios section first. There is also a mailing list where you can ask questions, and an on-line archive is available. You can find links to those at the ArgyllCMS site.

Best.

Terry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up