Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AZ/UT  (Read 2995 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
AZ/UT
« on: April 07, 2011, 03:55:41 am »

I'm planning on spending a week in Arizona spanning Easter. I'll be with my wife, so it's not a pure photographic trip. We're going to be staying for couple of days near the Grand Canyon, a couple in Page, one at The View and one in Sedona on the way back to Phoenix.

I'm wondering about a helicopter flight over the GC: is it worth it from a photographic point of view?

Obviously, Antelope (upper and lower) are on the list, as is Horseshoe Bend. I gather that lower Antelope is good in the morning and upper at around noon: when is the best time for the Bend? If I turn up at the Ranger post reasonably early, do I stand any realistic chance of getting a ticket for The Wave?

I've booked Daniel's Tours for a four-hour early morning trip around Monument Valley.

Any other specific suggestions? I have Martres books.

I'm going to be using my 5d2. I have the 24-105/f4. I can hire a 16-35/f2.8II for about £100: am I likely to benefit from having it? Part of me says that for £100, SNT (Silly Not To) but it is something else to carry.

Any tips gratefully received.

Jeremy

Lonnie Utah

Re: AZ/UT
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 10:59:04 am »

when is the best time for the Bend?

At sunrise the sun will be just about directly behind you, in the evening you'll be shooting directly into the sun.  

If I turn up at the Ranger post reasonably early, do I stand any realistic chance of getting a ticket for The Wave?

With the lottery system it doesn't matter.  Your odds equal the number of people that show up.

I can hire a 16-35/f2.8II for about £100: am I likely to benefit from having it?

Do it.  My ziess 16-35 is my go to lens in this part of the world.  

As for other places to go, I really love the Valley of the Gods.  It's much overlooked due to it's proximity to the over photographed Monument Valley (45 mins).  I've gotten way better images from the former than the latter.  Martres talks about the road in valley of the gods, but I found it no problem going from west to east.  The only potential tough spot is the creek crossing at the east end.  If it's bad, you can simply turn around and re-trace your steps (If memory serves, it's like 30KM? one way...)  Goosenecks of the San Juan State park and Muley point aren't bad options either.  

If you are staying at the view in monument valley, you should try to do a night of star trails/milky way photos. 

http://www.google.com/images?q=monument+valley+star+trails&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1207&bih=892

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=active&biw=1207&bih=892&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=monument+valley+mikly+way&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 11:02:21 am by Lonnie Utah »

francois

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:31:05 am »

£100 is reasonable and you'll find plenty of places where it will be useful. On top of that, it's not a vey heavy or large lens.
Francois

francois

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 11:36:24 am »

As for other places to go, I really love the Valley of the Gods.  It's much overlooked due to it's proximity to the over photographed Monument Valley (45 mins).  I've gotten way better images from the former than the latter.  Martres talks about the road in valley of the gods, but I found it no problem going from west to east.  The only potential tough spot is the creek crossing at the east end.  If it's bad, you can simply turn around and re-trace your steps (If memory serves, it's like 30KM? …
I fully second your advice, Valley of the Gods can be very good and I've never seen it crowded. I crossed the creek with a normal passenger car but it can be tricky. The best way it to access Valley of the Gods from the west. 30 km sounds right to me. The only problem I've encountered is after heavy rainfall. Large puddles of water can block access to normal low-riding cars. Again, with a SUV, there shouldn't be any problem.
Francois

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 03:55:02 am »

Thanks. I've hired the16-35. I'm glad to hear someone else likes Goosenecks: I've been there before and thought it was pretty.

I'll give Valley of the Gods a try. I won't be driving an SUV: what's the weather been like recently? Is there likely to be much standing water? I'll be there in two weeks.

The star trails look very pretty and I'll certainly have a bash, moonlight permitting.

I'd still be interested in any reports about flights over the Canyon.

Jeremy

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 09:16:10 am »

what's the weather been like recently?

It's been a wet winter.  Snowing today in SLC.

framah

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 03:05:58 pm »

Actually, Horseshoe Bend is best BEFORE the sun comes up. Once the sun breaks the horizon, the shadows and contrast take over. Shoot using the light that is available till the sun is over the horizon and you'll get some great shots.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

francois

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 05:39:07 am »

I'll give Valley of the Gods a try. I won't be driving an SUV: what's the weather been like recently? Is there likely to be much standing water? I'll be there in two weeks.

I can't say for the current weather but if you enter the road from the west, same road as the Goosenecks, then you shouldn't have any problem. The only critical portion is when you arrive at the east end. You must cross a shallow creek. Usually, it's not deep (5cm - 10cm). I drove there with a Chevy Impala (and worn out tires) without any trouble and it was just one day after heavy rain showers. If the impossible happens (you get stuck), you'll be just 50 m from the US 163 road.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up