Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The reader  (Read 1331 times)

armand

• Photos
The reader
« on: April 06, 2011, 07:34:34 pm »

in Miami, Dec 2008

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Re: The reader
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 03:44:47 am »

Armand

I don't see a lot that's wrong with this, and there is a lot to like. It's a wonderful tree, and you have framed the shot really well. The open book is acting as a reflector, and is bouncing a little fill light back into the face of the young woman - I don't know if you posed the shot like this, but either way that was a neat trick.

The only (very picky) problem I have is that the subject's hair is rather too dark for it to separate nicely from the low values in the tree behind.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

stamper

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 04:03:12 am »

Armand

I don't see a lot that's wrong with this, and there is a lot to like. It's a wonderful tree, and you have framed the shot really well. The open book is acting as a reflector, and is bouncing a little fill light back into the face of the young woman - I don't know if you posed the shot like this, but either way that was a neat trick.

The only (very picky) problem I have is that the subject's hair is rather too dark for it to separate nicely from the low values in the tree behind.

John

To sum up try a blonde rinse. ;) ;D A well composed image that has obviously had some thought applied before hand. Something that I am trying to do to distinguish between what is considered recording the scene and having some vision by the photographer applied before the shutter is pressed. You should be pleased with this image. :)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 01:30:50 pm »

I agree with John that it's a lovely image, and also that it would have been nice if her hair had been more clearly distinguishable from the tree. You've obviously planned it.

One thing that spoils it a little for me is the very bright background, which draws my eye away from the main image. I suspect there's not much you can do about it.

Jeremy

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 04:57:04 pm »

I don't like to take credit where it's not the case so I'll say it from the beginning that it wasn't planned. At least not her being there and reading so absorbed those Hemingway short stories. So no trick, it just how it she was reading. Now, the focus and framing were quite planned, because I knew I won't get too many shots before she could hear me (it's not always nice to have a DSLR) and change her position.
I was able to get only 2 shots, this and one with tighter framing.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 03:36:28 am »

I don't like to take credit where it's not the case so I'll say it from the beginning that it wasn't planned. At least not her being there and reading so absorbed those Hemingway short stories. So no trick, it just how it she was reading. Now, the focus and framing were quite planned, because I knew I won't get too many shots before she could hear me (it's not always nice to have a DSLR) and change her position.
I was able to get only 2 shots, this and one with tighter framing.
"Fortune favours the prepared mind."

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up