Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contax lens to lens variation?  (Read 1996 times)

Cineski

Contax lens to lens variation?
« on: April 04, 2011, 08:20:09 pm »

Is lens to lens variation w/ Contax lenses anything to be concerned about?  I'm concerned about wide open sharpness and I've read an occasional post in past forums where someone thinks they had a dud lens.  I've got first hand experience with lens variations with Canon and I'm more worried about this since lenses have to be shipped to Japan for any work.  FYI, I'm in the market for the 80 f/2 and 140 f/2.8.  Thanks for your thoughts.

Audii-Dudii

Re: Contax lens to lens variation?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 11:44:56 am »

I'm curious about this as well, although I have no complaints about the performance of the five Contax lenses I presently own (35, 45, 55, 80, 140).

That said, I can say the two 45-90 zooms I have had performed similarly.  Unfortunately, they were merely good performers, not great, and comments I have read/heard from others suggest that there are indeed some great ones out there, which is what has started me wondering.

In theory, there has to be some amount of variability among them, but the extent to which this is visible is another matter.  I look forward to reading about other people's experience with them, as I have been tempted to start buying used ones to compare and keeping the best of them because I am planning to continue using this system for many years to come.

ondebanks

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 03:44:51 pm »

I have been tempted to start buying used ones to compare and keeping the best of them

Note to self: never buy a lens from Audii-Dudii... ;)

Audii-Dudii

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 12:09:00 am »

Note to self: never buy a lens from Audii-Dudii... ;)

LOL ... fortunately for you, I'm quick to buy things but slow to sell them, so you're probably safe.   :-\

cyberean

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 12:41:12 am »

I'm curious about this as well, although I have no complaints about the performance of the five Contax lenses I presently own (35, 45, 55, 80, 140).

That said, I can say the two 45-90 zooms I have had performed similarly.  Unfortunately, they were merely good performers, not great, and comments I have read/heard from others suggest that there are indeed some great ones out there, which is what has started me wondering.

In theory, there has to be some amount of variability among them, but the extent to which this is visible is another matter.  I look forward to reading about other people's experience with them, as I have been tempted to start buying used ones to compare and keeping the best of them because I am planning to continue using this system for many years to come.

if you succumb to that temptation give me a holler ...  ;D

darylgo

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 12:35:49 am »

I currently have a well used (beat-up) 120mm macro that performs brilliantly but not as well as a mint- version.  So, I  am not sure if it is sample variation or use, either lens is good enough for my uses with a p30+ back.  If you don't  find  the 1-manual focus, 2- f4 aperture, 3- shorter focal length will limit your shooting then the 120mm macro is head and shoulders above the 140mm lens in sharpness.
As a macro lens it is superb, shot at infinity it is superb.   It is the equivalent of the Hasselblad 100mm f3.5 and 180mm f4.  Lenses sent to Japan are returned looking and performing very well, not sure how much longer that will be available.  The 80mm lenses I owned did vary significantly, one was much sharper at f2, but less sharp at f5.6, both were in mint condiiton, the f2 sharp lens was purchased used, the other new.   

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 12:47:35 am »

When I owned my Contax all the lenses I had (35, 45, 80, 140, 350) were fine as well.  Not to say there aren't duds to be had but overall the lenses seem to be well-made and reliably accurate.

I have had many more issues finding good lenses on my current Rollei system than I had with the Contax.
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

Cineski

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 09:22:01 am »

Interesting info.  I wonder how much of this is bad auto focus performance related?  I wonder if digital backs give better performance than someone shooting 220 film on the non-vacuum back?  I don't have a Contax kit yet, accumulating parts as of now, but I do have a split field diopter that I'm hoping will help negate any issues inherent to the Contax focus system.  The whole process makes me nervous due to the fact that I'd have to send a lens to Japan to go through a Collimation process.  Is that something to be done ourselves?  What happens to these poorly performing lenses?  Do elements internal to the lens actually get out of whack? 

asphet

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 02:59:25 pm »

dear friends
I currently have the lens from
35mm( great details & color)
45mm( fine to normal)
55mm( normal to accept )
80mm( normal )
120mm(great but not fully cover the depth of field sharpness by f 32,max shapness is at f 16, then the subject is not wholely sharpness)
140mm(great details & color)
210(great details & color)
350(great details & color)
45-90mm(Very Very good & great details & color,i use everyday,I think it's better than the fix lens & even Ive tried rollei 60-140AFD ,using same leaf aptus II-8 )
will buy the mutar 1.4X .....
will still keep the whole gear & hope the contax 645 & lens will alive
eric
Pages: [1]   Go Up