Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Gitzo CF Tripod GT3541LS  (Read 15662 times)

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
Re: Gitzo CF Tripod GT3541LS
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 06:50:00 am »

I have two centre columns for my 3541. They do exist, I have the carbon quick one and the geared one. feel free to comment that there are no centre columns available.
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

Rufous03

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 07:04:06 am »

do you use a centre column?
On my Manfrotto I use one as I can remove and mount it horizontally when needed, other than that very seldom

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 10:38:28 pm »

How are you carrying the tripod? I have this exact model and never had the issue you mention. Usually I hold it by one leg up near the base plate so that the tripod is horizontal (and the legs stick out a few feet behind me). Are you perhaps carrying it over your shoulder?

urbanpicasso

• davidbogdan/urbanpicassostudios
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 06:49:57 am »

The series of Gitzo your referring to has a large center section that accommodates the use of different base plates, fixed and adjustable. If you were to place stops to keep the legs from crossing when extended,  you would never be able to put the legs in a close position for transport when collapsed. You may need a change.
db

Rufous03

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 07:02:21 am »

That would depend on how they place the stops, Looking at the Manfrotto design, they could have manufactured the hinge for the legs that way and it would be a non issue.  The Larger base plate gives me the support I was looking for, but I missed the fact that this model did not have some sort of mechanism that would prevent the legs from folding under the head when extended carry was being used.  As mentioned previously, someone indicated there was a center column avilable,  but since no one here stocks it or has seen one, it would be unwise for me to order one and find out I was not happy with it, no returns policy on special order equipment.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2011, 07:05:21 am »

That would depend on how they place the stops, Looking at the Manfrotto design, they could have manufactured the hinge for the legs that way and it would be a non issue.  The Larger base plate gives me the support I was looking for, but I missed the fact that this model did not have some sort of mechanism that would prevent the legs from folding under the head when extended carry was being used.  As mentioned previously, someone indicated there was a center column avilable,  but since no one here stocks it or has seen one, it would be unwise for me to order one and find out I was not happy with it, no returns policy on special order equipment.

Depending on where "here" is, online merchants in your country should be able to help with that - they generally have good return policies, at least in Europe (by law).

Rufous03

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2011, 07:17:58 am »

That would be a nice law to have here!  Unfortunately, most times if one "special orders" a product that is not a stock item, you are stuck with it unless it is defective.

Rufous03

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2011, 07:24:13 am »

The series of Gitzo your referring to has a large center section that accommodates the use of different base plates, fixed and adjustable. If you were to place stops to keep the legs from crossing when extended,  you would never be able to put the legs in a close position for transport when collapsed. You may need a change.
db

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  Perhaps it is my lack of describing the occurrence satisfactorily.  When the legs are extended, you can pull one leg under the head/mounting plate.  When I transport with a camera and lens attached, invariably one leg always gets in this position and when I attempt to set up the legs in a hurry, I always seem to get caught trying to open the leg that is caught under the head.  I have also encountered other nature photographers that have the same complaint.  It would require little effort on Gitzo's manufacturing line to machine the hinge with a stop similar to the Manfrotto design.

Rufous03

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2011, 07:25:33 am »

How are you carrying the tripod? I have this exact model and never had the issue you mention. Usually I hold it by one leg up near the base plate so that the tripod is horizontal (and the legs stick out a few feet behind me). Are you perhaps carrying it over your shoulder?
Yes, always over the shoulder for distances, for me to carry horizontally with lens and camera attached, I would have to be a tad taller

feppe

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2011, 07:26:25 am »

That would be a nice law to have here!  Unfortunately, most times if one "special orders" a product that is not a stock item, you are stuck with it unless it is defective.

Again don't know where "here" is, but in the US B&H has several columns in stock and they are not special order items.

urbanpicasso

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2011, 07:30:37 am »

Rufous03

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2011, 07:33:22 am »

Again don't know where "here" is, but in the US B&H has several columns in stock and they are not special order items.

Thank you very much for your time and input.  I am in Canada, I have used B&H before with excellent service.  Trying to find  a column locally is impossible , even the Tripod itself was a special order.. no return!  But I like it despite the little glitch, I have  access to a machine shop, so perhaps I can modify the hinge and make a stop of some sort.

Rufous03

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 07:34:56 am »

http://www.amazon.com/Gitzo-GS3511S-Carbon-Systematic-Tripods/dp/B0017NCU3O
I believe Amazon has a return policy.
db
I have never used Amazon, thanks for the heads up!

Mc

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2011, 10:38:45 am »

Hi, sorry to "hijack" the thread but since I am about to ask a question about the very same tripod discussed I though this was the right spot.

can anyone having the Gitzo GT3541LS measure the hight of the tripod with only the first three sections extended?
I mean without the forth and thinnest section extended... I would very much appreciate it. I have looked at the Gitzo website and catalogue but to no avail.

If anyone in this thread owns the GT5541LS I am also looking for the same measurement. Thanks again!!

feppe

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2011, 11:54:30 am »

My GT5540LS is 118cm (excluding head) with the lowest leg sections un-extended, not sure if it's different with GT5541LS.

5-series have significantly higher load ratings than 3-series tripods, and are rock-solid fully extended even with heavy photography cameras - although LF cameras in wind will be a challenge.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:58:27 am by feppe »

duane_bolland

• flexiblelightphotography.com
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2011, 12:23:31 pm »

can anyone having the Gitzo GT3541LS measure the hight of the tripod with only the first three sections extended?
I mean without the forth and thinnest section extended... I would very much appreciate it.

For what it's worth, I thought the GT3541LS was too short for my 6'1" height, so I bought the GT3541XLS.  With the three largest legs extended, the leg length is about 64" and the height of the base plate above the ground is just shy of 59".  The GT3541XLS is plenty sturdy and tall when in use, and yet surprisingly light and portable when collapsed. 

urbanpicasso

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2011, 12:43:58 pm »

I have the 1348 which was replaced by and is nearly identical to 3541LS. It measures 49.5 in/ 125.7cm. Other than looking a bit worn (paint at the joints), after 8 years of service, it works like new and is rock solid with the digital gear as well as my 4x5 and 617.
db

* but then again, I'm only 6 ft tall ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:48:11 pm by davidbogdan »

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2011, 12:54:08 pm »

The GT3541LS is 43.5 --- 44 inches tall with only the first three legs out (to the base plate).

urbanpicasso

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2011, 01:20:34 pm »

Well..my mistake.. so goes the internet search....http://www.naturescapes.net/store/gitzo-gt3541ls-carbon-fiber-6x-tripod-replaces-g1348-and-gt3540ls.html . I do own the 1348, so my measurement stands, and I'm not sure of it's successor....
obviously.
db

curtphoto

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2011, 10:20:41 am »

I replaced my Gitzo's CF rubber tipped "feet" with aluminum inserts. I bonded them with epoxy which has held for 5 years.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up