Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Fuji  (Read 19389 times)

fredjeang

The Fuji
« on: April 04, 2011, 06:12:33 am »

Thanks for the review.

I'd like to know if the 12MP sensor is the famous (and excellent) Sony sensor that equiped several brands recently (Nikon, Pentax, Sony...).

I was thinking of why not upgrading my old DP1 that I use as a note-book and for candid. One thing that I really beleive to be untolerable in 2011 is that manufacturers
just ignore the sensor cleaning because of the fixed glass, so in-theory dust will not be an issue.  In fact it is. I had 2 models of similar cameras and twice
I ended to have dust on the sensor after more or less a year of manipulation. Very anoying although easy to remove in pp. It seems that this camera does not have either this feature.
It's not rocket science today.

I don't understand why manual focusing is treated so badly in general. With the electronic, why not automatically display a center magnified area or at least a decent MF system like in the old days? Mystery.

About Silkipix, yes it's far from being my favorite but I think it does the job until the camera would be recognized. In that sense, why not DNG like Pentax does? Mystery.

About the video mode, if the camera does not allow manual settings, it means this: if you locked the AF-AE button for AF, wich I also do for stills, you loose then the AE function for video wich is the only way to lock your exposure when a full video manual is not possible. I know, I know...again, instead of multifunctions buttons, I'd like the manufacturers to do a little less gym and english training and put their team A engineers doing extensive photo workshops before they put them at work on ergonomics and menus. Less cosmetic and features that nobody use; one button=one function seems to be an alien lenguage in the designers today's boards and it's sad.

Anyway, a valid upgrade from a DP1 ?

Ps: MR asked a "please no debate about the Foveon", but I'd like to precise something from my DP1 experience: the Foveon lacks obviously resolution, but it's not that bad either. The 15 MP claimed by the company are indeed not to take seriously. In fact it's rather like a 10MP bayer. In print though, the Foveon is much better than numbers tell. (I beleive it's not because of the Foveon "magic properties" but the stellar optic) I have to stress, to be fair with Sigma, that some of the major issues have been improved a lot in the latest software update. Specially the color casts in low-light and artificial light and the higher isos overall issues. So the old DP1 is not of course in the same league as this new Fuji and rather limited and frustrating today, but I can't see a better option in 300-400 euros price. (the first version costs nothing today), so if one's budget is very limited and need high quality, the DP1 is still a tool. (note: due to its slowness, the DP1 is not really-or really not- a competent street camera)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:05:04 am by fredjeang »

marcvezina

Re: The Fuji
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:00:33 am »

Michael,

Nice review on the X100 - not a word to add - not a single word... A great camera with a somehow frustrating interface

Cheers

ednazarko

Laughed out loud, and hard
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:00:43 am »

When I got to the comment about cameras with only rear LCD viewing - "like holding a baby with a smelly diaper" - I inserted coffee into my laptop keyboard at high velocity, laughing.  I share the same bias, and now I have a name for it, and an image that will be in my head every time I have to deal with rear LCD shooting.  I find them particularly annoying because my close up vision requires glasses to see focus clearly, and my distance vision does not.  This may be true for a large number of people who are past their mid-life crises.  I have very, very high hopes for this camera for that very reason.  I'm unlikely to plop down the $$ for an M9, because then I'd probably shoot 95% with one lens, making about $7000 of the investment be for naught.  I shot a lot of my favorite street work with one or another of a small arsenal of fixed lens film rangefinders from Konica, Canon, and Olympus.

The UI comments do give me significant pause, though.  I've owned a lot of vintage cameras of various sorts, and know from that that the UI for a DSLR, and for film SLRs before, is the result of decades of off-the-mark experiments that converged on what we have today. Even the parts of digital cameras that were not worked out through decades of film camera experimentation, like menu systems and organization of same, are showing convergence.  There are also a huge number of non-photography examples that UI designers could learn from - I've heard about a battlefield rocket system, for example, that required the user to work through 11 different screens to be able to launch a rocket... not a good design for something meant to be used in a hurry, under fire.  When good UI designers were brought in, they got all the launch related things onto one screen, with the least important info at the end of the screen.

Bad UI has caused me to sell quite a few digital cameras within weeks of buying, and now I'm pretty cautious when I see someone who's probably handled hundreds of cameras react so much to how hard useful functions are to access.  I need a friend to buy one so I can borrow it for a couple of weeks...

MarkL

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 03:41:39 pm »

3 secs turn on/wake from sleep and this is meant to be a street/docu camera? This is a deal breaker for me - I guess fuji haven't heard of the decisive moment! For my street work I barely have time to frame sometimes let alone wait for it's to cough into life.

yslee

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 04:11:36 pm »

The rear operates just like a digital camera. I wrote about that in my own hands on. On that note, that rear wheel really drove me nuts. Who thought using a click-less free-spnning wheel was a good idea?

What I would have liked to see, among other things, is a proper dedicated ISO dial. That would free up the custom function button to do something else, while making the camera far better to use.

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 04:17:00 pm »

3 secs turn on/wake from sleep and this is meant to be a street/docu camera? This is a deal breaker for me - I guess fuji haven't heard of the decisive moment! For my street work I barely have time to frame sometimes let alone wait for it's to cough into life.

surely you can just leave it switched on ?
--
David Mantripp

David Sampson

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 05:43:07 pm »

Thanks for the review. I already have the camera and agree with all you say. I hope that you have sent your thoughts on the firmware updates to them. Here in the UK they have a dedicated email address for the X100
X100@fuji.co.uk

Yes start up is slow but you can leave in on continuously if you wish but you would need to always carry a couple of spares. It makes the M9 batteries seem long lasting!!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 05:45:39 pm by David Sampson »

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 06:27:36 pm »

Anyway, a valid upgrade from a DP1 ?

why the reviewer mentioned DP1 w/ 16.6/4 lens and not DP2 w/ 24.2/2.8 lens ?

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 06:33:33 pm »

I'd like to know if the 12MP sensor is the famous (and excellent) Sony sensor that equiped several brands recently (Nikon, Pentax, Sony...).
also it is not clear why the reviewer found any virtue in using that 12mp sensor and not Sony 16mp of D7000/K5 fame (except the may be a a higher price and that Fuji did not have time to design using it).

michael

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 08:32:56 pm »

The issue is also the weak to non-existent AA filter on the X100.

More on this in a few days in my update.

Michael
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:35:39 pm by michael »

John Camp

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 10:05:06 pm »

I was somewhat surprised that Michael referred to the X1, DP1 and M9 as major competitors, as I would have considered the Panasonic GF-1 with clip-on viewfinder and 20mm [~40mm equiv.) as a much closer *practical* competitor, not only to the Fuji, but to all the others, as well. In my mind, all of these smaller, less expensive large-sensor cameras (not counting the M9) would have to be put up against the GF-1, by a careful shopper, to ask "Why this one, and not the GF-1?" That's because the GF-1 would seem to me to have a number of advantages -- its interchangeable lenses, the fact that it's a part of a system for which there are other bodies available, and so on. It seems to me that the main reason to choose a Fuji, or one of the others, is more a matter of *taste,* than of practical advantage, akin to the reasons people choose an M9, with all of its disadvantages, over, say, a Nikon D7000 or Pentax K5. I know that the X100 and the M9 can make exceptional photos, but so can the others -- and the others have long lists of advantages, while the M9, X100, X1, DP1 seem to me to have very few...except that some people have a *taste* for this kind of camera. But in terms of build quality, software quality, sensor quality, lens quality (again, excepting the M9) there's really not much there.

JC

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 11:42:20 pm »

Being one of the buyers who depends on the US market which has only released a very small handful (B&H 3 for instance), and with my local Thailand always behind the curve on new releases,  I'm still waiting for mine.

During the wait I've been reading reviews.. and without exception they were of marginal value because they were written by equipment junkies. 

Until now.   It was really nice to read a review from a photographer.

Thank you.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

marcvezina

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 12:01:15 am »

With OFV Power Save Mode 'OFF' and Quick Start Mode 'ON', turn on/wake from sleep is very fast. Downside is battery life
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:07:56 am by marcvezina »

stever

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 12:34:04 am »

12mp is an excellent choice based on what's optically and mechanically practical for APSC.  my experience with Canon is that i'd rather have 10 or 12mpx and better high ISO performance than theoretically higher resolution than can be achieved with available lenses.

is it a cultural problem that Japanese camera manufacturers don't employ engineers that are also photographers or even consult with photographers during design - or listen to photographer customers?  it's not like the ergonomic problems Michael has highlighted aren't obvious or been solved by other manufacturers.  the auto ISO is so stupid it's hard to believe

dreed

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 01:31:46 am »

Having read through the review, it sounds like a great camera that's just hard to use because of the software.

If the successor can fix the usability problems with the software, my name is on one already. Or if they update the software (which I'm not sure that I can see them doing.)

Craig Arnold

• Craig Arnold's Photography
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 03:17:59 am »

The UK got an early shipment, and I got mine about 4 weeks ago. Michael's review is spot-on as usual.

Despite it's quirks I absolutely love mine. It's permanently with me and I would be completely traumatised if I were to break or lose it, and I cannot say that about any other camera I have ever owned.

I have been documenting my adventures with a few pics in my blog. No pixel peeping or full-res samples, just what it's like to use and working through how to get the best from it.

http://peri.org.uk/wp/?tag=blog

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 04:23:03 am »

The UK got an early shipment, and I got mine about 4 weeks ago. Michael's review is spot-on as usual.

Despite it's quirks I absolutely love mine. It's permanently with me and I would be completely traumatised if I were to break or lose it, and I cannot say that about any other camera I have ever owned.

I have been documenting my adventures with a few pics in my blog. No pixel peeping or full-res samples, just what it's like to use and working through how to get the best from it.

http://peri.org.uk/wp/?tag=blog

Interesting blog Craig. It looks like a great camera.

I have thought about buying the Fuji but I'm not sure if I could live with 35mm alone. Perhaps if Fuji could produce the camera with a "tri-elmar" 28-35-50mm style lens I would be in boots and all.

MHMG

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 06:54:13 am »

The issue is also the weak to non-existent AA filter on the X100.

More on this in a few days in my update.

Michael

Looking forward to hearing more from Michael on this issue. The reason I personally have not pulled the trigger on the purchase of a K-5 (or D7000) is that I have yet to see a sample image taken with the 16MP/anti-aliase filter arrangement in the otherwise impressive k5 that doesn't result in ultra-smooth plasticky looking skintones. It's not skin color reproduction that's putting me off. It's lack of recorded natural texture in the skin which I suspect is caused by the anti-aliasing filter on all those tiny 16M photodiodes in the k5 and D7000 bodies. Samples I've seen from the lower pixel count X100 seem to handle skin texture in a far more pleasing way. I hope MR isn't going to tell us bad things about moire on the X100, but if so, it may just be the trade-off I will have to accept in order to record more natural skin textures out of these APS-C type cameras.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 07:40:52 am »

I like your reviews better than all others on the web.   

I am curious about your Zig-Zag Road and Wrapper picture.  Why did you include the wrapper in the picture?  It makes me want to smoke something  ;)     As I look closely (okay as I stare) the window starts to take on a strange appearance, almost as if it were painted on the wall instead of being a real window.   Your pictures sure do get me thinking.    I'm also guessing that this area is prone to some flooding? 

It's almost like you are doing street landscape photography.   Is it fair to say your style is undergoing a change this past year?
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 11:11:43 am »

12mp is an excellent choice based on what's optically and mechanically practical for APSC.  my experience with Canon is that i'd rather have 10 or 12mpx and better high ISO performance than theoretically higher resolution than can be achieved with available lenses.

again - it is just because Canon is behind Sony at this moment w/ APS-C sensors... ask Nikon or Pentax users if Sony 16mp is worse that their prev. generation 12mp.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up