Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bush Cat  (Read 1561 times)

Heinz

Bush Cat
« on: April 04, 2011, 01:08:01 am »

I took this image in the Khalahari desert.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Bush Cat
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 03:30:23 am »

The light is lovely. I think I see your goal in framing it the way you did but for me it's just a bit overdone. The pussycat looks too cramped: I'd like to see just a little more of him.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 04:11:27 am »

No, Felix looks cool, it's just that for it to work better for me, it requires even more space on the right: a panoramic camera (with rapid af, of course) would have made the feeling of danger intruding just that little bit stronger. Alternatively, if it's a crop, try forming the pic by using more background but cropping down and upwards.

There's a painting by one of the now-defunct Scottish artists (whose name escapes me right now) of a little person herding a family of ducks out of the left side of the frame. One duck is similarly cut, and it marked a whole new direction for the accepted face of composition within certain schools of artistic thought. However, they may have been geese, but I suppose that wouldn't alter the dynamic...

If you are willing to leap sideways a little bit, there's a similar concept at work in a beautiful shot from Francis Giacobetti in the 1970 Pirelli of, I think, Alexandra Bastedo wearing a string bikini whilst sitting on the sand at the extreme left of the frame, except that she's looking out, as were the feathered friends in the earlier example: magnifique! So yes, unusual sometimes works very well indeed.

( Thought I'd give examples just to keep feppe happy... ;-) )

Rob C

Heinz

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 10:50:05 am »

Thank you for looking and commenting guy's. This chap was on mission and i tried get get that feeling into the pic. I have other images of him where i have zoomed out and he fills the frame, but this comp, i think, conveys that feeling a little better. Heinz.

popnfresh

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 02:19:51 pm »

The light is lovely. I think I see your goal in framing it the way you did but for me it's just a bit overdone. The pussycat looks too cramped: I'd like to see just a little more of him.

Jeremy
+1

I think if you wanted to go that tight on the lion he needs to fill the frame a bit more. Otherwise, if you're going for the lion's activity we need more of the landscape he's in. But on the whole it's a fine portrait. The old boy certainly has his share of battle scars.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 02:31:43 pm »

+1

I think if you wanted to go that tight on the lion he needs to fill the frame a bit more. Otherwise, if you're going for the lion's activity we need more of the landscape he's in. But on the whole it's a fine portrait. The old boy certainly has his share of battle scars.

Just the wrath of earwigs; they breed them for the tourists.

Rob C

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 01:19:47 am »

My thoughts exactly.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Heinz

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 04:21:41 pm »

Thanx guy's. It's always an awesome feeling when you are so close to these animals. Cheers Heinz
Pages: [1]   Go Up