Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Right-angle finder for 5D2  (Read 6662 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Right-angle finder for 5D2
« on: April 02, 2011, 02:40:34 pm »

Any suggestions? Canon's own C model costs rather more than I'd really want to pay.

TIA

Jeremy
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 02:43:14 pm by kikashi »

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Re: Right-angle finder for 5D2
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 05:43:00 pm »

I've been wondering the same thing. A search on Ebay for “Canon right angle finder” brings up results from US$30. But who knows if they will last longer than a few weeks or have some annoying fault. For example you can buy a generic L plate for the 5d on Ebay but the designers forgot to allow for the remote release. Unless someone has tested generic stuff or I can try it out in the shop I draw a deep breath and buy the genuine part. That's no help, I know.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 07:18:14 pm »

What about this little badboy?
~ CB

daws

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 11:20:04 pm »

I realize this doesn't answer the OP's question, but I'm curious why a finder on the 5D2. I use Canon's C Finder on the 5D, but on the 5D2 I find the live LCD is much more useful for composition and enormously more accurate for focus.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 11:28:03 pm by daws »

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 12:11:30 am »

I realize this doesn't answer the OP's question, but I'm curious why a finder on the 5D2. I use Canon's C Finder on the 5D, but on the 5D2 I find the live LCD is much more useful for composition and enormously more accurate for focus.

Handy for when the camera is on the ground and shooting up. E.g., photographing fungi, getting an unusual perspective etc. Also for when the camera is on a low tripod and the ground is wet.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 03:35:04 am »

Handy for when the camera is on the ground and shooting up. E.g., photographing fungi, getting an unusual perspective etc. Also for when the camera is on a low tripod and the ground is wet.
That's what I had in mind. I read Michael's article on photographing Lower Antelope (I'm planning to be there in a couple of weeks' time) and his comments chimed rather nicely with my slightly stiff neck.

Jeremy

Clearair

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 08:04:41 am »

Got the Canon version years ago.

Love its quality and so nice to use but fiddle to attach if you don't use it often enough to leave on.

And thats the quandary really. Just does not get used much.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 09:53:56 pm »

I used the Canon angle finder with an EOS-3 and 1Ds. It was okay. I much prefer getting critical focus using Live View. For when the camera's on the ground or other difficult to reach positions, I'll tether.

However, there are several products that use a remote electronic viewfinder and the camera's video feed, such as the Zigview. If Live View can be used with these devices, I'd say that's the most accurate method of focus.
~ CB

ThomasPoeschmann

• elbsandsteinfoto.de
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 02:48:26 am »

The Canon angle finder C comes off as you flip the camera. I lost mine in grassland during a macro session.

Look for a Minolta Angle Finder VN. Only available on the second hand market. AFAIK they fit on all Canon DSLR except 1D and 7D. I use mine on 5D2. It holds against the finder using two small clips, and fits very tight.

Whenever possible I prefer to use Live View, though. It may be hard in direct sunlight, you might have to shade the display.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 02:54:09 am by ThomasPoeschmann »

DavidRees

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 04:15:23 am »

Consider a Canon Angle Finder B, 2nd-hand. More robust than the Angle Finder C, smaller, and undoubtedly cheaper. All you lose is the magnification switch from 1.25x to 2.5x. If that doesn't matter, the 'B' is a good option. I own both, and I prefer using the 'B' to the 'C'.

There is also the 'A', but that's older, likely rarer, and the image is left-right reversed in that one -- so all the stuff at the bottom of the viewfinder will be reversed as well---perhaps not so good for DSLRs...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:38:47 am by DavidRees »
Just one more frame, dear...

Mjollnir

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 02:45:11 pm »

My g/f uses a 5D, and just got this:  http://www.amazon.com/Seagull-Finder-Minolta-Olympus-cameras/dp/B000CS40WY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1302201786&sr=8-1

She suffers from neck problems from an old car wreck, and she loves it.  FAR cheaper than Canon's.

davidewers

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 08:06:18 pm »

aanyone tried out the hoodman version?

aduke

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 08:41:44 pm »

The Hoodman is not an angle finder, it's a magnifying hood. It works well, requiring that the screen brightness be much lower than without. It also gives another point of support for the camera in that you can rest the eye-piece on your skull just above your eye (at least I can.)
Also, it has diopter adjustment so you may be able to use it without glasses.

Alan

davidewers

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 02:13:33 am »

Yes there is a right angle finder made by hoodman,

http://www.amazon.com/Hoodman-H-RAV-Universal-Right-Finder/dp/B000GVL34U
Pages: [1]   Go Up