Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica M8 rangefinder  (Read 3506 times)

grilla

• http://thecolorblindphotographer.net
Leica M8 rangefinder
« on: April 02, 2011, 02:26:46 pm »

Major hand surgery has made the use of my D700 difficult due to the weight and size of lenses. I am landscape photographer who once loved using a Fuji 6 x 9 rangefinder. I am looking for something light and compact, and saw that a used Leica M8 was affordable and appears to fit my needs. I have never owned a Leica, and would like to hear from their owners. I would like to shoot handheld in the field and leave my tripod at home.

Thanks!

Gary in Portland, Oregon
www.thecolorblindphotographer.net

JeanMichel

Re: Leica M8 rangefinder
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 03:08:09 pm »

Hi,

I have ben using Leica's since 1969. but do not have either an M8 or M9 -- $7k is on the high side for a purchase, but may yet happen (I now use a 5D2). I stayed away from the M8 because of two things: the IR issue and the cropped sensor since I usually photograph wide rather than tele.

You may want to check: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/
Many of the people posting on that site seem to be obsessed with various failings of the cameras, take these comments with a grain of salt.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne posted interesting comments on this site (About this site -- Topic: returning to the Leica). He has a link to his website featuring beautiful landscape images made with his M9. Makes me itch to deplete my bank account to get an M9 :-)

Michael Reichmann has also posted reviews here, so you may want to read his comments.

A new camera -- Fuji X100 -- may be an alternative. I am tempted by it as it is almost identical to my first real camera, a Yashica J35!

Jean-Michel

fredjeang

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 04:17:01 pm »

Be carefull of those fancy cameras like the Fuji. Something I find absolutly untolerable in 2011 is that there is no sensor cleaning. Bodies aren't sealed either. I had 2 cameras of that type for candid and twice I ended to have dust on the sensor at one point or another. Manufacturers should think that it's not because a body does have fix lens that dust can not enter and there is nothing you can do about it, or tech service. In a 1000euros camera I find that unacceptable.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 05:27:12 pm by fredjeang »

John Camp

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 06:50:41 pm »

I had an M8 which I recently sold. The camera did have a lot of problems -- many of which have been resolved. But compared to modern DSLRs, it was just too much trouble, and for most people I think the same would be true of the M9, especially for landscape. The biggest problem is that there is often difficulty in achieving critical focus -- the rangefinder mechanism is an old-fashioned system, good in its day, but I think it will always have trouble working with high-resolution digital sensors. You will always have a higher percentage of missed shots than with a DSLR. You also have to understand that these mechanical systems, and the lenses, will "drift" -- and then have to be sent away for an expensive recalibration. Also, it is sometimes impossible to have all your lenses focusing perfectly at the same time. I had the last-generation f1.0 Noctilux, and could never get it to work exactly right with the rangefinder mechanism. I'd focus, and then I'd have to give it just a tich more turn...I'd have to turn it until the rangefinder just started going out of focus and then it would usually be in-focus....but that's no way to go through life. (There's no live view, so you can't use that to focus.) The M8 also has an inadequate infra-red filter, and so you are required to use IR/UV cut filters on the front of the lens to keep the color balanced...and you still get color artifacts. That was just one of the big problems with the M8, which went away (mostly) with the M9, as I understand it. When everything was in-sync, the M8 was just fine, but I really don't think it is much of a match for more modern DSLRs.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go for a compact DSLR like a Pentax K5, and then a few primes in your most-used range. That would keep the weight down quite a bit. And the thing with a DSLR is, you use both hands to hold it. With a Leica, you basically hold it in one hand, and focus with the other. If you have a hand problem, you might find a Leica is more difficult to use than a DSLR. Before making your move, you really ought to try a Leica. No may no Leica. 8-)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 06:13:06 pm »

You might want to take a look at either the GH2 system from Lumix or the a55 system from sony.

roanjohn

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 10:35:03 am »

I would look into the NEX 3 or 5.  Excellent image quality - 14 mpx.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 11:57:42 pm »

Have been using an M9 for a year now, mostly for landscapes in the Sierras and the desert(heading to Death Valley next week). Wanted the full frame for wide angle work, and love the pics. So far I'm using legacy lenses from the 60s and 70s, which can be had for less than most current 'high end' DSLR optics.

Had a 5D Mk II, but the bulk and fussiness prevented me from enjoying it much despite the wonderful images. And yes, regardless of it having a "self cleaning sensor", still had spots showing up even though not removing the lens or the filter taken off the 16-35.

It is the nature of the beast, and as long as lenses can be changed, there's no real way to prevent material from entering the mirror box. It is  not due to incompetence or laziness on the manufacturers part, and the cost of the equipment is immaterial. Even on fixed lens cameras dust can get sucked through the zoom, and many modern DSLR zooms pull stuff through.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 12:15:09 am »

And the thing with a DSLR is, you use both hands to hold it. With a Leica, you basically hold it in one hand, and focus with the other. If you have a hand problem, you might find a Leica is more difficult to use than a DSLR. Before making your move, you really ought to try a Leica. No may no Leica. 8-)

I've used rangefinders for over 30 years, and have always held them with both hands. The left one cradling the camera bottom, and the lens for focussing. It's mostly  the SLR users who I've seen gripping the camera with one hand, and working the focus or zoom with the other, with their elbows sticking out.

Cradling the camera with the right hand and the lens with the left was pretty much the prescribed technique for any camera. This brought the elbows next to the body and improved the ability to hold it steady.  Then the manus started designing them with 'grips'. Heck, now you've gotta buy a separate gip just to use the thing vertically.

250swb

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 05:43:33 pm »

I wouldn't necessarilly go for an M8 (an M9 would be better because it doesn't need IR filters), but for landscape, or anything else really that doesn't involve the need for telephoto lenses, you would be well served. The camera is well suited to landscape photography, particularly as using prime lenses allows a style to develop that is identifiable as yours in the use of favourite lenses. You will most likely find two or three lenses are all that you need. And it turns out top quality results in a light weight kit. So a Leica is not just for 'street'. Comments about focus accuracy are individual concerns, most people don't have any problems, or it is one of those disproportionate imaginings that crop up because a minority of people complain about things on the internet opposed to the many thousands of happy punters who remain silent.

Steve

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 08:51:09 pm »

Gary, I shot an M8 for three years without ANY problems. Yes, some people had problems which they mightily aired on the different forums. It seems that those with problems dominate the talk of any camera, far and above those who are happy with the product. YMMV.
However, reading your background and what you are looking for in a camera I feel the M8 would suit you just fine. If I were you I would make an effort to test the camera you are considering before purchasing. Good luck with your search.

Jim-St

• http://www.lochaberphoto.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 12:35:44 pm »

I've been using my M8 for most of my photography since I got it in Jan last year.  I've also been following the threads on the Leica Forum and at RangefinderForums.com where people discuss their issues and problems with the camera.

I really like its small size & weight and ease of use, and have found it an excellent tool for landscape as well as street photography.

I did take the precaution of getting one with a warranty, though - in particular mine came as "ex-demo" with a full 2-years Leica Passport warranty. "Ex-demo" in Leica-speak is a broader term than you might imagine, and in my case the camera was what would usually be termed "refurbished". In fact, I have since discovered, it was about 3 years old when I got it, but because it had been refurbished by Leica it had an as-new warranty level.  And if anything does go wrong and it has to go back to Leica for repair, they'll automatically extend the warranty for another 12 months from date of repair.

So I'd say it's worth getting one from a Leica authorised dealer, and shopping round for the best peace-of-mind warranty you can find. Then you can read the stuff on the  forums without getting too neurotic!

Jim

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 01:24:02 pm »

Image quality from the M8, aside from the IR issues, is excellent.
With the lack of AA filter, the clarity of the images is impressive, esp with the excellent leica and zeiss lenses.
Where the M8 failed for me was with focusing. If you have used the M before, you know what your getting into. Weened on auto focus, I was missing too many shots fiddling with the focus. And despite everything I heard before buying an M, I found it difficult for see the overlayed rangefinder images in the viewfinder, esp when the lighting was low. So I sold it.
And it isn't that small of a camera, so may not solve your requirement for a small camera. 
The good news is that they hold their value well, and you can buy one, try it out, and sell it for about what you paid for it. So give it a go.
The olympus E-P series of cameras might be an option. Smaller and lighter than the Leica.
Pages: [1]   Go Up