Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't get TCP/IP turned on with Z3100 printer  (Read 7249 times)

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Can't get TCP/IP turned on with Z3100 printer
« on: April 02, 2011, 12:47:46 pm »

I just picked up a used Z3100 to go with my Z3100ps, and have spent many hours trying to get it to connect via TCP/IP. The control panel says "No IP connectivity available". The previous owner only tried connecting with USB.  No IP address shows up in the control panel when I turn the printer on.  That is where the "No IP connectivity" message is instead.

The control panel menu for connectivity does not have any of the usual settings I'm accustomed to. Under "Fast Internet", there is only a "View Information" setting, with no options to modify. I can turn on the web server and printer utility options from the control panel, but only connect via USB. When I access the web server via USB, there are no connectivity settings to change.

I've tried using the Service Menu, and even reset the EEROM to restore it to factory defaults, but it refuses to communicate via ethernet cable. I've also reinstalled the firmware, and done many restarts, and have reseated the formatter a couple of times, too. The service menu says that IP is turned off, and that connectivity is set to "Auto", but I can't find where to change these settings, without the correct menu items showing up. I have no way of setting the IP address or making any IP changes with the current menu options.

Anybody else run into this problem or have any suggestions? My printer is over 16' from my computer (bad for USB) and I would really like to have both printers accessed on the same network.

Thanks,
Ron
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Dward

Re: Can't get TCP/IP turned on with Z3100 printer
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 03:49:05 pm »

Hi Ron,

When I had a similar problem years ago I went through all the possibilities of bad cable, bad connections at either end, and finally resorted to uninstalling all HP software, including Print Utility, and reinstalling.   For reasons that are beyond my comprehension, that act of desperation solved the problem and I've been running an ethernet connection with no problems ever since.

Good luck with this irritating issue.

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com
David V. Ward Fine Art Photography

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 04:00:18 pm »

Did your printer give you an IP connectivity error message, or was your printer just not visible to your network?  I've had the latter problem before, and see how that can be solved by reinstalling the software.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure my problem is within the printer itself (although I did reinstall all of the software when I reinstalled the firmware).  If I could figure out where to override the network selection that is turning off the IP connectivity, I'd be able to solve it, but that seems to be a Catch 22 situation.  Without the menu item, it is hard to get it to respond (voice recognition attempts fail as well, despite my shouting).
-Ron H.

Dward

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 04:29:40 pm »

You're right--the printer was invisible to the network.

Do you perhaps have two versions of Print Utility installed, one for the original 3100ps and one for the new one?   I don't have first-hand experience, but I've read that having two installations of print utility causes numerous problems---that using one version of Print Utility for both printers  solves the problem.  I don't vouch for this advice, and I'm sorry that I can't recall where I read it (perhaps on this forum??)

Good luck (again).

David V. Ward

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 05:25:46 pm »

I uninstalled everything and only have one version of the HP Utility that is able to access both printers.  Unfortunately, I need to get a much longer USB cable to have a permanent connection to the new, non-PS printer, but it communicates with both printers when connected as is currently possible.  Still open to other straws to grasp at, though.  Appreciate the help.
-Ron H.

davidewers

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 07:46:31 pm »

This will not get turn on the internal NIC card to work, have you considered adding the jet direct card to the unit

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 08:08:43 pm »

Hmmm.  Hadn't thought about that, because I remember how expensive they were when I bought my first Z3100.  It looks like they can be picked up for about $80 now, so the idea of the JetDirect card as an end around for my problem is intriguing.  If the USB cable proves problematic from being too long or too slow, I'll give it a try.  Hopefully, it patches into the rest of the innards in a way that it bypasses the connection that seems to be giving me trouble.
-Ron H.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 09:35:31 pm »

Ron:
I've seen bad Jetdirect cards, but not often, and if so the link LED didn't work.....

Auto means the printer is configured to get it's address via DHCP - if your network does not have this (ie: you've statically or manually configured all IP address' then the printer will be unable to obtain one.

Connect the printer to a Home or SOHO router that has DHCP enabled.  With the cable connected, look under Connectivity | Fast Internet, you should be able to determine the IP address, and either Telnet or point a Browser at it....
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 09:46:31 pm by John.Murray »

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 09:47:15 pm »

John-
I think that there is an "Auto" setting for IP address, and another "Auto" for Connectivity.  The Connectivity Configuration/IO Diagnostic report that I printed from the Service Menu says:

FAST ETHERNET
Installed:  Yes
IP Enabled:  No
Printing Enabled:  No
Firewall Enabled:  No

USB
Installed:  Yes
Enabled:  Yes

The printer doesn't know it's own IP address, and the router I tried sees nothing, as well.  I have realized that the indicator light is not lit next to the Ethernet plug, so I'm all but certain that I have a printer with a hardware problem.
-Ron H.

howardm

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 11:00:27 pm »

if you're not getting an amber and/or green LED at the RJ45 connector lit or flashing (either on the printer end or the other end, you have a fundamental hardware problem, not a simple configuration problem.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 11:10:20 pm »

Yup!  No link probably means bad hardware. Check one thing:

Pull the formatter (unscrew to two barrel screws - they are captive) and check for jumpers along the "bottom" (holding the card so you can read the label on the hard drive).  You should see only one at the right of block J1

davidewers

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 11:12:44 pm »

while doing a surplus contract with the USPS I ran into many bad jetdirect cards, the older cards seem to be better than the newer 600 series.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 02:41:00 am »

John-

There is one blue plastic jumper across the two pins at the bottom (as the card sits in the machine) of J1.  Immediately above the jumper is only a single pin, where it looks as if it should have another pair.  Are either of these things significant to you?

I think this particular board is from the first generation design.  It looks quite different from my Z3100ps formatter.  The non-PS one has a Western Digital HD vs. Hitachi, and the drive is horizontal instead of vertical on the board.  I'm on my third formatter for the PS printer (and that one is starting to get flakey on restarts), and I remember the design changing for the second or third one that was installed.

As for the USB attempt, I bought the longest USB cable available locally today (I live on the Big Island, and don't have many options for local computer stores).  The 16' cord is only long enough to make it to my Airport and doesn't reach my computer.  The printer is seen by my computer, but can't seem to be found by the HP Utility unless it is hooked up directly with USB.  I'm able to print with it through Bonjour, but can't get the Utility to work.  I've removed the HP software a couple of times, reinstalled the Utility, created new instances of my printer, and it still doesn't show up with Bonjour/USB as the connection.  If only I could use my HP hardware with Canon or Epson drivers and software. ;)

-Ron

-Ron H.

davidewers

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 03:16:17 am »

I assume that you are priting from a Mac, do you have a buddy wiith a PC laptop to make sure that it is not a MAC/HP problem. Also Hilo or Kona?

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 03:19:43 am »

Kona (Holualoa, actually, just up the hill from Kailua Kona).  Yes, printing from a Mac running 10.6.7.   Nobody I know with a PC here has a laptop, but my other printer can be networked however I want, so I wouldn't put that at the top of my likely culprits.
-Ron H.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 11:02:49 am »

Hi,

First, check with HP or find a data-book to make sure that the ethernet adapter in the printer is working. From the descriptions, it sounds as if it’s dead.

Next, make sure that Ethernet interface cable you are using is 1) “cat 5”, 2) that it is working properly. I've come across cases where a cable may work in one instance but not another. This is sometimes due to the cable being crap and sometimes due to the interface where the cable connects being crap, and on rare occasions, both the cable and the connectors are crap. I've had other instances where the cable does not work at all.

If you have a good ohm meter and the right contacts, you can check connectivity on pins 1,2, 4 and 6. If there is any variance at all, between the connectors, toss the cable.

Next, if you are going to go more than about 6’ for USB, you should use a so-called “Active USB extension.” Here is a link to a suitable cable, http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-U026-016-Certified-Extension/dp/B0002D6QJO. With typical or passive USB extension, the signal degradation makes more than about 6’ ill advised. I think the USB spec says you can string up to 4 active USB cables together.

Next you can get a device that is a USB print server. This has an Ethernet connection on one end where you connect the print server to your network and a USB connection on the other, where you connect your printer to the print server. Note that not all USB printers get along with this kind of print server. These are generally a lot less expensive than buying HP’s print servers. Read the compatibility chart and call the manufacturer if there is any doubt.

Last but definitely not least, you can order a replacement for the ethernet/USB interface device in your printer directly from HP. This is the best if probably the most expensive solution as you’ll side step all the work around related problems if you go this route. Once you are 100% certain that the problem is not due to the ethernet cable or connectors, this what I would do. Everything else is merely a penny-wise solution.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 11:12:26 am by Justan »

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 03:31:41 pm »

Ron:
What really strikes me as strange is the fact that the service printout indicates Ethernet installed, but IP disabled, wierd....  If there *is* a hardware issue, i would expect Ethernet to not show installed.

These support multiple protocols including Netware's IPX/SPX and DLC - there should be a way to get IP back on, let me do some digging.....

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 05:04:34 pm »

Justan-
I'm curious what you mean by "data-book"?  The best reference I have is the service manual.  Is there something else with more information I can get my hands on?
I've tried all the cable options . . .  one of the few things I can say for certain is that it isn't the cable's fault.
The  Active USB extension is an interesting idea that I haven't heard of.  Buss powered signal amplification sounds like pulling oneself up by their own bootstraps, but it must work.

John-
Much appreciated.  Your logic is showing when you say it is weird that Ethernet shows being installed but disabled.  HP doesn't feel bound by logic when it comes to some things.  Any results of "digging" would be great, of course.

Aloha,
Ron
-Ron H.

nbmz

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 05:40:45 am »

I think you should give HP support a shout.  They should be able to walk you thru this in 10 min.  :)

My guess would be that the previous owner may have disabled the IP connectivity. 

Is it being plugged directly into a computer (mac/pc) or into a wired/wireless router?

Have a peek at the back of the printer where the Ethernet cable is plugged into.  See if there are any status lights near where the plug goes.  If there's no lights, you have some other issues to contend with.

One thing to note: if you haven't powered off/on the printer, it might be worthwhile to do so.  Sometimes the networking on these machines can get fouled up, and a quick reset clears it all up. 

Good luck!

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 12:57:37 pm »

No status light on the ethernet port on the back of the machine.  It's not lit under any scenario.  Many restarts, too.

I have the machine networked and working right now using a 16' USB cable, plugged into a powered USB hub that extends it 4' closer (which is exactly what I needed for length).

The HP Utility seems much more responsive when accessed over USB than my Ethernet network, and sending files to the printer does not seem appreciably different, either.  I think I may just settle for the current setup, as it does not seem like a compromise over the Ethernet connection I was shooting for.

Thanks to all for the help.

Now my newest challenge is to change the drive belt myself.  Even though the printer still has many of the original ink carts in it and was barely used at all, time has degraded the belt to the point that it is doing some shedding.  I had my belt changed at the end of my service contract by HP for my larger printer, so I know the lay of the land, and have seen Kaelaria's video on the subject posted on LL.  Oh boy!
-Ron H.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up