Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac computers with Thunderbolt?  (Read 6144 times)

aaanorton

• http://
Re: Mac computers with Thunderbolt?
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 08:38:38 pm »

Currently there isn't a display with Thunderbolt so the termination is lack of the feature.  I don't think there is a problem allowing a display to be part of a TB daisy chain, but they must include TB in the display, so something for future displays, not current ones.  It may even be possible for a display to act as a TB hub, much like USB now.

There won't be a TB display, at least there won't be a need to make one. TB can carry DisplayPort, just like it can carry USB, FW, SATA, ethernet, etc.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:16:34 pm by aaanorton »

aaanorton

• http://
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 09:15:39 pm »

OK, I went back and looked for what I had previously read. On Apple's Thunderbolt page they specifically state:

Thunderbolt I/O technology allows you to daisy-chain up to six new peripherals, such as the Promise Pegasus RAID* or LaCie Little Big Disk,* or five peripherals and an Apple LED Cinema Display.

They repeat this or a variation of it on their MBP page as well. But now I'm thinking that the MBP drives its built-in monitor over TB, leaving only bandwidth for one other display. Future desktop Macs will not have this limitation, and multiple TB ports would be even better!
TB actually carries 20 Gbps in each direction, on 2 separate channels. But one channel is reserved for DisplayPort and the other data.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 10:35:13 pm »

There won't be a TB display, at least there won't be a need to make one. TB can carry DisplayPort, just like it can carry USB, FW, SATA, ethernet, etc.
Maybe I wasn't clear.  Current Displays have DisplayPort, but not Thunderbolt.  Thus you can't "daisy chain" a display, it must be last in the chain.

Future displays could be TB, which of course includes DisplayPort.  Whether this means they can be daisy chained (which seems possible) and whether the same bus could drive multiple displays I'm not sure, but it seems possible.  I suppose it's possible that a TB equipped display could offer FW, USB, etc. all carried over the TB bus.  But before that happens displays must be redesigned with thunderbolt.

If these things are possible I would suspect we will see TB displays.  If not, then no need for anything other than DisplayPort.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up