Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon ipf8300 setup  (Read 4881 times)

Dward

Canon ipf8300 setup
« on: April 02, 2011, 09:09:57 am »

I just purchased an 8300 and need to move it to my second floor studio.  I have an elevator, but unfortunately, the printer box is 80.5" long and my elevator door is 79.5" high.   

Does anyone know if taking the printer out of the box and standing it on end is OK, or would that risk damage to the printer?    Sure would be nice not to have to lug it up stairs, but I don't want to wreck the thing if it can't safely stand on end.

thanks in advance for your help.

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com
David V. Ward Fine Art Photography

howardm

Re: Canon ipf8300 setup
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 09:56:46 am »

can't you also just start inserting it into the elevator and pivot it to standing on end w/o removing it from the box?

I'd suggest contacting Canon but often these mfgr's standard 'line' is 'ooooh, you can't do that' FUD

Dward

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 10:27:44 am »

Thanks for the suggestion, Howard.    But it's just a wee bit too long.   I've considered opening the box and removing the packing material at one end and then cutting off 2" or so of the box.   Then putting the printer in the "open coffin".   Tedious, but perhaps it would work.  However, I'm not sure whether even in the (mutilated) box it's OK to stand it on end.   And yes, I suspect that if I ask Canon, they'll advise against even if it's fine.  I didn't know whether someone in this forum had ever set up an 8300 in a manner that involved standing it on end (i.e., to turn a sharp corner)

thanks again,
David V. Ward

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 10:29:30 am »

Ours came up our stairs at an angle of 45 degrees - it was taken out of the packaging in the street outside by the people delivering it. The legs were assembled first in the print room and it was placed on them.

No difficulties in setting it up or in subsequent use...

If you'd not seen it, I've written up notes on its arrival, setup and use at
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/printer/canon_ipf8300.html

I do recommend getting sufficiently strong people to move one though - much easier on the back...
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 10:58:02 am »

It's perfectly fine to stand it on end. There's moving instructions in the box on how to do it properly and it shows the printer on end. I used piano movers to get mine up a flight of stairs. Photos are at http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=49569.0.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

ftbt

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 11:16:59 am »

David: Since your 8300 is new, my hunch is that you haven't yet installed the electronic manual. (The print manuals that come with the printer are well ... rather basic.) In any event, the electronic manual describes the subsequent movement of an installed printer as either a "Level 1, Level 2 or Level 3" move. With respect to a Level 3 move, the electronic manual states:

Level   Shipping Method (Example)                                     Permitted Angle of Inclination    Amount of Ink to Dispose of   Required Maintenance Cartridges

3      Tipping the printer or holding it upright for elevators    Lengthwise: 0–90º                  Approx. 1.8 L (60.9 fl oz)       2 or 3
          or stairs                                                               Rotation: 0–30º

It seems that the printer has been designed for a length-wise tilt of 90º (provided the ink has been drained, ink tanks removed, and the belt-stopper re-affixed). I would think that since you haven't installed any of the ink tanks and that the belt-stopper is still in place, a length-wise rotation of 90º is something that the printer is designed to do. However, with most things in life YMMV. If in doubt, call Canon first.

Dward

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 11:54:44 am »

Many thanks!   Just the answer I was hoping for---I greatly appreciate the rapid responses and help!

David V. Ward

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 03:12:29 pm »

Good luck David!  And watch your back, please.

I found a lot of heavy lifter ads on craigslist.  The guys that showed up were actually very good, two of them had masters degrees in art!  Which is something to think about, kids.

I think you'll be very pleased with the blue-magenta-red transitions on those superb flower shots.  Have fun.

Oh, on the network connection I couldn't get IPV6 protocol to work, had to use IPV4 which seems just fine.  Also, I had to pick a static IP address, which is probably just to do with my general network cluelessness.

And don't jump out of your socks when that cover-locking solenoid goes CLUNK! for the first time.  :)

Edit...and if you plan to run profiles, be aware that the default Canon canvas media type uses about 10% photo black mixed with the matte black.  Leads to smears if you roll coatings, and the deep black transitions are a little weak.  A good general purpose base media type for all canvases is the .am1 file for Chromata White that you can download from the BC site, uses only matte black.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 03:20:54 pm by bill t. »

Shark_II

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 03:27:38 pm »

And don't jump out of your socks when that cover-locking solenoid goes CLUNK! for the first time.  :)

I always called that "the hamster kicking over the sh*tcan" sound.  Of course, other people probably do not. ;)

Tom

cgoss

• http://craiggoss.com
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 03:29:29 pm »

David, I went through a similar process a couple of months ago.  No way the carton was going up my relatively narrow stairway so we unpacked it.  Fifteen minutes and five strong backs later we were done.

Dward

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 03:44:54 pm »

I had both cartons unloaded onto a heavy-duty cart which wheels right up to the door--same height (16" wheels).   I'll unpack and pull the printer inside and wait for help to get it into the elevator.  This thing is so much more massive than my z3100, which I moved and set up by myself (though two people are recommended).   The HP is built upside down---you put the stand on the printer and then flip the whole finished unit over.  No way to do that with the Canon.

And yes, I'm looking forward to the improved gamut of the Canon, though I'll keep the z3100 for black and white.   I've never seen b&w prints as good as the 3100--long scale and neutral.   The 3200 seems not as good to me for b&w.

Once I get this thing set up and we're all moved into the new house (necessitated by all the printers/framing equipment/scanners/photo equipment)  I'll have to get around to updating the website with some of the thousands of botanical shots from Longwood Gardens.  I do a lot of work for them, like documenting their orchid collection (9600+ plants) and in exchange I get access to essentially whatever I want.   Nice to be able to get into the water garden ponds!

Thanks again, everyone.   I'll post my impressions of the Canon output compared to the now-aging z3100 output.

David V. Ward

Dward

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 03:43:29 pm »

An strong friend and I got the printer into the elevator, then dragged it on soft furniture pads to its final location, where we were able to lift it onto the stand.   Not something I'd want to do every day, but less traumatic than I had anticipated, in large part due to the helpful advice I got from this forum.

Many thanks.

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 06:27:39 pm »

Congrats David!  Now go take 3 Ibuprofen.  Looks pretty big, doesn't it?

PS I just skipped the whole print basket assembly, it's at least as useless as the Epson version.  A couple big pieces of foamcore leaning up against the output is all that's needed, and those also keep dust off the roll.

Just for the hekofit, here are my ink usage totals from a couple weeks ago, in order.  Possibly useful for ordering those $173 cartridges a la carte in the least painful sequence.  I bought the first six the other day, will soon order the others.  The first six might be good candidates for 700ml carts next go around.

Y 142
MBK 135
GY 106
B 104
PM 101
PC 97
C 73
R 65
PGY 63
G 59
M 58
BK 54

I got those amounts from the "Accounting" tab on the print progress window.  Those are only the amounts that actually make it onto the print, and they do not include the amount used for charging the system.  And they are cumulative for the life of the printer, not just since the cartridge change.  So you need to jot them down at cartridge changes if you want to track your carts closely, since the printer screens only reports remaining ink in increments of 20%.  My Yellow cart ran out at 150ml, so I assume more than half had gone to charging.  The Yellow pester message started at 140ml.

Dward

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 09:14:09 pm »

Thanks, Bill

Good info to have about the inks.   I'll probably buy the 700ml one or two at a time (inexplicably, my wife wants to buy window treatments for the 23 windows and 4 sliding glass doors in this new house, but I'll manage some ink purchases a bit at a time).   

And yes, it's a big, big printer.   Much larger than the z3100.    And yes, the print basket assembly is quite odd in its inefficient and needlessly complex design.  The basket on the HP printers is straightforwardly simple and works quite well.   

I'll try your foam core solution--I've got cartons of the stuff and your idea seems elegantly effective.

Now I have to wait til I can move the computers, computer furniture, and all the other printers (Epson 4000, 7900, 2200, 1800, HP all-in-one and 44" z3100) from this house to the new one before I can print anything with the Canon (other than the initial head alignment, which went fine).

Next, I'll tackle the framing equipment---wall mounted glass cutter, mat cutters, and 4x8 framing tables.   Oh yes, and all those boxes of glass, mat board, and foam core.   

BTW, if anyone is interested in any of the other printers, especially the 4000, 2200, and 1800, I'm happy to part with them cheap.  Lots of extra inks.   But no shipping--pick up only.  (Media Pa.   19063)

Many thanks for your advice!

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up