Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 3.3 Import Template  (Read 1961 times)

schrodingerscat

LR 3.3 Import Template
« on: April 02, 2011, 12:40:54 am »

Greetings -

Finally sitting down to work with LR in ernest, while trying to follow the "Where's My...Pictures " tutorial. Seth demonstrates setting up a template for importing files, and my copy of LR bears no relationship to his. When he inserts a card in his reader, a window pops up titled "Import photos from..." and has the File Handling inputs. On my copy, these are all over to the right of the viewing panel on the main page of the Library module. At the bottom of Seth's window, there's the fields for setting up the template.

I can find no indication of templates anywhere on my main LR page in the Library module. Most of the File Handling fields seem the same, but some are missing or somewhat different.

My guess is they were working with LR 3.0 and this has been modified in the later updates. Or I've gone bonkers. Or both.

Any enlightenment appreciated.

Thanks

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: LR 3.3 Import Template
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 02:39:47 am »

You may or may not be aware, but there are two 'sizes' of the Lightroom import window - the compact version and the full version.  Odds are you're seeing the compact version.  If what you're seeing looks like the attached, click the drop arrow in the lower left.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

schrodingerscat

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 06:16:48 pm »

You may or may not be aware, but there are two 'sizes' of the Lightroom import window - the compact version and the full version.  Odds are you're seeing the compact version.  If what you're seeing looks like the attached, click the drop arrow in the lower left.

Mike.

Thanks for the reply.

Working with full version. To paraphrase Seth in the tutorial...'I placed the card in the reader and Lightroom pops a dialog box and the first thing we see here is File Handling'. It shows this box on his screen as he's talking about it. When I put a card in my reader, NO dialog box pops up. In Preferences I do have "Show import dialog when a memory card is detected' checked, but  Lightroom just loads the files into the main library page, no box. Apologies if I'm using the wrong terminology, this is all new and my head is still in Bridge/PS land.

How de heck do I get this dialog box to appear? I also went back over the most of the LR3 tutorial, and other than a brief mention in the Importing session, could find nothing on templates. This elusive dialog box seems to be the only way to create templates, and if so, can it be brought up at will or just when a card is detected? I need to import my legacy images and want to apply this template to them as well.

I've gone through Lightroom's prefs and menues so many times I'm crosseyed.

Stop Press...I think I figured it out. Seems a separate dialog box no longer pops up, but templates are now in File Handling in the right panel of Import. Hope this is the answer, will explore later and report back. I'll leave this mess as is in case others are beating their head against this as well.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 10:18:19 pm »

Working with full version. To paraphrase Seth in the tutorial...'I placed the card in the reader and Lightroom pops a dialog box and the first thing we see here is File Handling'. It shows this box on his screen as he's talking about it. When I put a card in my reader, NO dialog box pops up. In Preferences I do have "Show import dialog when a memory card is detected' checked, but  Lightroom just loads the files into the main library page, no box. Apologies if I'm using the wrong terminology, this is all new and my head is still in Bridge/PS land.

How de heck do I get this dialog box to appear? I also went back over the most of the LR3 tutorial, and other than a brief mention in the Importing session, could find nothing on templates. This elusive dialog box seems to be the only way to create templates, and if so, can it be brought up at will or just when a card is detected? I need to import my legacy images and want to apply this template to them as well.

I've gone through Lightroom's prefs and menues so many times I'm crosseyed.

Stop Press...I think I figured it out. Seems a separate dialog box no longer pops up, but templates are now in File Handling in the right panel of Import. Hope this is the answer, will explore later and report back. I'll leave this mess as is in case others are beating their head against this as well.

Okay, I'm not sure what box Seth is talking about...  When I load a card into my reader, it just shows up on the left side of the panel as a place to import from.  I sort my images by location and by year/month so I use a new import preset for each month.  I also have a separate preset for camera phone pics (mine and Marcia's).  My import preset sets the folder to copy to, the file renaming, the metadata preset and assigns basic keywords... more here: http://www.wolfnowl.com/2011/03/my-lightroom-workflow/

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

schrodingerscat

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 04:08:03 pm »

Okay, I'm not sure what box Seth is talking about...  When I load a card into my reader, it just shows up on the left side of the panel as a place to import from.  I sort my images by location and by year/month so I use a new import preset for each month.  I also have a separate preset for camera phone pics (mine and Marcia's).  My import preset sets the folder to copy to, the file renaming, the metadata preset and assigns basic keywords... more here: http://www.wolfnowl.com/2011/03/my-lightroom-workflow/

Mike.

It seems they may have been working with LR 1 or 2, and things changed with 3. Instead of the dialog box, those actions are now done through the right side tool panel. At least I was able to perform all needed tasks shown in the tutorial there, just needed to switch brain from litteral to conceptual. All fine now except for a hopefully minor glitch, which needs a separate thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up