Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print on stainless steel with copper metallic painted base color  (Read 15284 times)

Light Seeker

Re: Print on stainless steel with copper metallic painted base color
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 06:08:51 pm »

when i do aqueous coatings, a light sanding with trizact will get it buttery smooth without leaving any marks.

Alan, are you talking about sanding the InkAid coating?

Terry.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 06:31:49 pm »

Alan,
I am not familiar with that product but will look it up.
I have had some success with the backside of 3m trimite 320 grit paper I use for sanding between coats of sanding sealer and laquer. (wood applications)
Even with the back paper side if you get too aggressive you can start to slide the ink aid off.

Terry,
The product is pretty thick,have not tried spraying it.
Thin some down and give it a try.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:40:06 pm by Dan Berg »

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 06:44:05 pm »

Neil / Dan, what issue(s) are you are finding with the InkAid surfaces as compared to the Alumajet / Booksmart prepared media?

Two issues:

1) Very difficult to obtain completely pristine pieces of aluminum that were free of any kind of flaws or marks (even when I ordered aluminum for the engraving industry with a protective layer of plastic on top)
2) Impossible to get even coatings of inkaid applied without marks, dust, spots, etc. I tried different brushes, spraying with my Wagner (diluted 10%), etc. and none of it worked. The Wagner failed miserably, I just got glops of coating out no matter what settings I used.

In the end it wound up being not worth the hassle. The aluminum that comes from Horizons or Booksmart look amazing and you can't even tell a coating's been applied.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Light Seeker

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 07:06:50 pm »

I had wanted to try a Booksmart sample pack but they are unavailable everywhere I've gone, including Booksmart. I understand it's been that way for weeks. Perhaps I can get something from Alumajet or Horizons.

In the meantime I've found a local source of anodized aluminum who will give me some small pieces to try. Will the anodized surface mess me up? I an also get Golden grounds locally so between the two I'm hoping to at least make a few test prints.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Terry.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 08:48:25 pm »

Alumajet/Horizons is the same thing. Alumajet is their brand name for the pre-coated sheets. No problems with supplies from them so far (I have a job rolling off the printer right now using their satin aluminum metal).

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

stefano

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2011, 07:48:20 am »

Has anybody tried the coating rod method, using the wire wound coating rods advertised on the inkaid site? I used glass coating roads in the past to coat papers for platinum printing in the past, and with a little practice I found that it was the best method to get a uniform coat (my brush skills have always been mediocre). I have been contemplating metal printing when I can find a bit of free time to experiment, and I wonder if it is worth investing in one of those rods.

Stefano

dgberg

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2011, 10:43:48 am »

I purchased the $90 model from ink aid and I can say, just save your money. What a mess it makes. It also used twice as much material. I would return it if I could.
I had 2 great folks at a workshop this past week. The gal did one of the best coating jobs I have seen so far. (A womans touch I guess.) what she did was apply the ink aid so thin that it barely covered the metal. It dried twice as fast and almost with no dust. Same thing for the second coat,another thin one. 100 percent better results.

stefano

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2011, 11:39:12 am »

Dan,
Thanks for your feedback, looks like, at least for my experiments, I will likely go with pre coated aluminum... If the rod method is messy as you describe, and given my aversion to brushes, the cost savings of self coating would probably never materialize!

Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

Stefano

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2011, 01:31:18 pm »

Say Dan, do you think we could convince Carrie to start a coating business?  Ha, you thought the stuff from Booksmart was expensive...!  Seriously, I just took a look at that piece of copper she coated.  It is very nice and smooth with few dust spots, but still not quite sellable quality. 

By the way, for anyone here interested in learning and experimenting with metal and/or canvas, Dan's workshops are top notch.  Dan has all the tools, but also shows techniques and procedures for those of us that have limited resources such as stretchers, 30ft fences, spray guns, etc.  What is really neat about that approach is that I got a sense for the trade-offs in cost, effort and quality with various processes, and direct experience in what a specific tool buys you. 

We did the two-day workshop. I strongly recommend that simply because it takes two days to do any of this stuff correctly between coating, spraying, drying, etc.  Sometimes more - we printed a night image of mine on stainless that is full of very dark blues.  It is still drying one week later!  Not only that, but that area of the country deserves some time to investigate as long as you are there...

Anyway, great time.  And Dan's wife makes a killer quiche. 

Ciao,

Dave

I purchased the $90 model from ink aid and I can say, just save your money. What a mess it makes. It also used twice as much material. I would return it if I could.
I had 2 great folks at a workshop this past week. The gal did one of the best coating jobs I have seen so far. (A womans touch I guess.) what she did was apply the ink aid so thin that it barely covered the metal. It dried twice as fast and almost with no dust. Same thing for the second coat,another thin one. 100 percent better results.

dgberg

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2011, 03:33:18 pm »

Thank you Dave and Carrie we enjoyed having you.
You are so right in that it is difficult if not impossible to get high quality Inkaid coated metal.
The Booksmart precoated metals are pristine and beautiful with the right image,especially the aluminum and brushed aluminum.If you plan on selling images on metal it is probably the way to go. Horizon sells a comparable product. I will continue to demonstrate the Inkaid process but plan on moving more towards the pre coated products. When your selling your images regardless if the media is fine art paper,canvas or metal,they should be perfect.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 03:35:10 pm by Dan Berg »

Light Seeker

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2011, 05:05:00 pm »

Booksmart has been out of sample packs for weeks so I talked with Horizon and one shipped out Thursday. Horizon is actually the manufacturer and Booksmart is a dealer. I noticed that Booksmart has a broader selection of sizes, which is one of their value-ads (as well as the profiles).

I'm a glutton for punishment however, so I also picked up a few 9x12 sheets from an engraver and a bottle of Golden's Digital Ground for Non-Porous surfaces. I'm going to experiment before the Horizon product arrives.

I'm curious. . .   has anyone tried covering the coated sheet with a plastic box to keep the dust off while it's drying? Another approach I've thought about is to put the sheet near-vertical to minimize the surface area. Hopefully the precoat won't run.

Terry.

stefano

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2011, 08:28:09 pm »

By the way, for anyone here interested in learning and experimenting with metal and/or canvas, Dan's workshops are top notch.  Dan has all the tools, but also shows techniques and procedures for those of us that have limited resources such as stretchers, 30ft fences, spray guns, etc.  What is really neat about that approach is that I got a sense for the trade-offs in cost, effort and quality with various processes, and direct experience in what a specific tool buys you. 

I would love to take one of Dan's workshops sometimes, i am a big believer on the advantages of learning in person from people that are both expert and passionate in what they do! My day job does not allow me much time to get away, but who knows... hopefully someday!

Stefano

The Doc

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2011, 10:25:42 pm »

Shades of Paper may have stock (at least I did not get an out of stock when I added to my cart): http://www.shadesofpaper.com/index.php?cPath=27

Light Seeker

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2011, 10:58:13 pm »

I talked to them early last week and they did not, although that may have changed.

Terry.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up