Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutter problem with Canson Baryta and Epson 9900  (Read 6467 times)

Sven W

Cutter problem with Canson Baryta and Epson 9900
« on: March 31, 2011, 12:42:59 pm »

The new roll-cutter on the Epson x900 series was a big improvement prior early models.
I've run more then 10 different fineart/baryta/fiber/RC-papers, canvas, polyester, film and billboard paper. On the 9900.
No problem at all. But for one: Canson Baryta. The cutter stops and everything else.
Most prominent when cutting just a short strip, say 5-8 inch. If I hold the paper flat by hand when the
cutter moves, it works. But it's very frustrating and it has ruin some big prints. (See image)
Does the cutter work with different strenghts, i.e. is there a connection between the cutter and mediatype? (It should)

Any ideas or workarounds?

/Sven

Stockholm, Sweden

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Cutter problem with Canson Baryta and Epson 9900
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 02:33:07 pm »

Have you called epson?  Sounds like early warning signs of a cutter problem.

Sven W

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 02:50:26 pm »

I've replaced the cutter once. No difference.
And it works like a dream on all other media.

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 03:02:21 pm »

mine has been "repaired" twice, thoroughly checked out, and finally completely replaced, and still does this from time to time. They made a huge improvement with the approach to the cutter with these models, too bad it doesn't always work. Personally I think the motor is too weak.
Mine does exactly the same thing, quite often with Epson Hot Press Natural.
Tyler

Sven W

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 03:11:10 pm »

Have you tried to fool the cutter, to pick another media than the actual one?
E.g. use Premium Semigloss for media type when printing, deselect Auto cut in the driver/rip, then switch to Velvet Fine Art and then hit Cut on the printer display.

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 04:05:34 pm »

Nope, life is getting way too short for all this troubleshooting, and I don't buy this bafflement on their part about it either, it's another well known problem. The tech said the cutter is essentially "dumb", no sensors or variable behavior at all. It cuts or it doesn't, though it can invoke an error alert somehow.
If someone else can verify media settings impact cutter strength I'd be be happy to try. Perhaps someone from the manufacturer can help?
Tyler

Sven W

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 04:39:56 pm »

Agree. It's really hopeless to invent the wheel again and again.
How about my "gliders"? (see image)
I've asked several reps how I'm supposed to handle fragile large prints, when coming out from the printer.
"– Just let it roll down in the bin"
Have they actually tested to do that with the Exhibition Paper? And they seemed surprised that I did such large prints  ;D

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

OSP

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 06:05:57 am »

Sven those gliders are amazing  :) I'm going to arrange a couple of those myself. don't know how I haven't thought about it myself  :D

Ken

• http://kenschuster.com
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 03:08:15 pm »

The only problem I have with Canson Baryta Photographique is its "spring steel" nature. The curl is so ingrained that even after "D-Roller"-ing, I still see ripples where it just won't cooperate with flattening... and I think that could be what's causing your cutting angst. I ran into the same cutting problem with the 7900. It looked like the cutter rammed right into the side of the paper, probably because the paper curl was raising it too high at the cutting point. I had custom programmed the various papers that I use, and I saw that I hadn't applied the correct one for that run. I corrected my mistake and it ran and cut fine... loud! I don't have access to the printer right now, but I know the platen pressure was higher for the Canson Baryta than the "incorrect" setting. 

Sven W

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 06:38:29 pm »

How do you mean by "the platen pressure was higher for the Canson...."
That's what I asked for in the OP; are there different powers for the cutter engine?
It should be, but no one seems to know.
And yes, the curl is strong, but the Baryta is not the only paper with that behaviour.

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

Farmer

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 07:11:19 pm »

No different "power" for the cutter.

The pressure comment is regarding the platten vacuum which helps to hold the paper flat.  Heavy substrates with lots of memory can require more pressure.  If the media isn't flat, the cutter may not function properly.
Phil Brown

Sven W

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 04:19:03 am »

I'm very familiar with the vacuum.
I have four LF printers running, and use about 15 different media and the only combo with this malfuction is the 9900 and Canson Baryta. So the conclusion must be that this paper has the strongest curl on earth ???

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 12:56:46 pm »

I've had this occur with Hahnemuhle Bamboo and Sugar Cane, Canson Rag Photographique, and Epson Hot Press Natural. While it's true some of these papers can be hard on blades, requiring regular blade replacement, they do not display unusually tough and/or persistent curl, are within the thickness range we have all been printing on for years, but far more telling- have had no such problems with previous model's cutters.
The problem is not your particular paper. I'd also add that on my 9900 menu, there are no higher suction settings than "standard", only lower. No fix there. The motor is too weak, I wish there were a way to pull the cutter across by hand.
Tyler

drigatti

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 01:31:31 pm »

Hi,

I encountered the same problem with my 7900, but I solved it by simply setting the printer to "double cut".

I hope this helps.

Ciao,

Diego

Sven W

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 05:40:29 pm »

I doubt it will help, but I'll give it a try. Several posts point at the week cutter engine and I think that's the clue.

The driver shows only "Normal Cut" or "Off".
I use the ImagePrint RIP and there you can choose "Double Cut".

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

foxhole510

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 07:02:44 pm »

THe answer to a clean full cut on the 7900 using the Baryta paper is to reset the cut depth to 16mm. It works Steve

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 03:52:58 pm »

Most prominent when cutting just a short strip, say 5-8 inch. If I hold the paper flat by hand when the
cutter moves, it works.

/Sven

I had the identical problem on a 7900 with Hahnemühle Photo Silk Baryta 310, which I think is essentially the same paper. Bigger prints cut fine but short pieces from a 24" wide roll did not. I wonder if the PX000 printers have the same issue.
- Dean

John Caldwell

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 08:20:26 pm »

Same problem here with the 9900 & CIFA Baryta. I turn Cut Off, manually advance paper after print is complete, and use a sharp utility knife to cut the print. I use the lower part of the printer case as the knife guide. Not a perfect edge, but it works.

John-
Pages: [1]   Go Up