Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new Mac purchase strategy for Nikon Capture NX2: get Snow Leopard now?  (Read 1777 times)

syncrasy

I'm still using Power PC Macs (non-Intel) with Tiger (laptop and desktop), and plan to get my first Intel Mac during 2011. My need isn't urgent, so Lion might come out before I make my move. But I'm thinking I should get the Mac while Snow Leopard is the included OS, for this main reason: Nikon Capture NX2. Given Nikon's slow release history (e.g., not releasing a Snow Leopard compatible version of NX2 for many, many months), I'd like to know I can still use NX2 on my new Mac in case a Lion-compatible version of NX2 (or even NX3) isn't released for months (or years). I imagine this strategy might apply to other 3rd party software I use that might lag behind or get abandoned before Lion.

So the strategy is to get a Snow Leopard laptop this year, then a new Lion desktop next year to cover all bases.

Is my reasoning sound? What are the drawbacks of this strategy?

Thanks!
Mark
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:56:10 am by syncrasy »
-- Mark

francois

I can't really give you an advice on your strategy but if you find a developer with the preview release of Lion, you could ask him to test Nikon Capture NX2 to see if it works. It wouldn't guarantee that NX2 would be compatible with the commercial version of 10.7, though.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up