Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Corel Knock Out 2  (Read 3431 times)

scrinch

• www.jkwhitephoto.com
Corel Knock Out 2
« on: March 29, 2011, 07:18:46 am »

Bummed about almost all software manufacturers not supporting Power PC processors on Mac's  So the only software for selections I have is Corel Knock Out.  Just wonder if it worth the money ($98) or should I just continue to make selections in PS CS2.

walter.sk

Re: Corel Knock Out 2
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 11:43:17 am »

I've had Knockout 2 for many years and always found it too fussy and tedious to use, and not worth the time and effort compared with the results.  The improvements in masking programs, from the tools in CS5 and Topaz Remask knock Knockout 2 out in one round!

While it is a shame that computers go obsolete so fast, the advances in Photoshop, NIK Software, Topaz Labs and much of the HDR software make processing my images so much easier, better, faster and more reliable than even using the CS2 and compatible software.

I do not have a MAC, but a PC because the same processing horsepower is much more expensive with a MAC.  I have chosen to use my meager piggybank for software updates and better camera/lens equipment rather than whatever advantages a MAC is supposed to have over a PC.

I believe that if I had  MAC that is no longer supported I would be very tempted to get a really powerful PC for around $1000, buy extra RAM for it, and take advantage of the great advances in software.

scrinch

• www.jkwhitephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 07:34:57 am »

Thanks for your well though out reply.  It certainly makes sense to go to a PC at this juncture, but for the price of existing software upgrades vs new full versions.  I would need to buy new versions of PS, Stitch software, Helicon Focus, SI and DI software so the added price of just getting back to where I am would offset the price of the Mac vs. PC price difference.  That, plus having used Macs and PS 2.0 through PS9 (CS2) I have learned a lot of Mac key commands that may or may not work on a PC.  I probably fall into the "can't teach an OLD DOG A NEW TRICK" catagory.

Thanks for the advice to not buy KNOCK OUT.  I can put that money toward upgrading to a Intel processor MAC.

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 01:36:52 am »

My take on KO is a bit different. I really did figure out how to make it work, and work it did. I constantly had people asking me how I was able to construct the masks I did. Once I figured it out, there was nothing like it. Unfortunately, there was also nothing like the piece of crap company that Corel is - a company that basically dropped the ball and is apparently never going to update or upgrade KO. I just can't image that this is what Ultimatte imagined when they licensed KO to Corel so many years ago. Biggest mistake they ever made, and I told them so at the time. It's such a shame because once you understand the interface and really learn it, the program rocks. Too bad that at this time I can't even get it to run even on my older Macs where it used to work just fine. I product that I have now given up on pretty much for good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up