Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: New X-Rite i1Profiler software available now  (Read 77679 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: New X-Rite i1Profiler software available now
« Reply #140 on: April 15, 2011, 02:16:41 pm »

Yes, I made inferences based on what I read in your post and what I know of the software. I may have misunderstood you and I apologize for that.

LSI has done considerable work to maintain the functionality of SilverFast in Snow Leopard, and I do know they are working likewise for Lion, but whether a Howtek version will be ready exactly when Lion appears, I agree, we don't know. There are many scanner models for which to whip the application into line. 

I agree that in principle HCT targets should be at least as good if not better than LSI's IT8 (but I haven't tested this in practice, so can't say for sure). I think it would be eminently reasonable for them to have a look at the HCT target as a basis for their Auto profiling tool and I suggested this quite a long time ago. Of course the inconveniences to them are that (1) the HCT target is proprietary so they would need to do a deal with the owner, and (2) they would need to reprogram and test their algorithm and tweak it for each scanner model, so clearly a non-trivial undertaking. Here I'm speculating - I think reasonably - that they would need to be convinced it's really a whole lot better than what they're doing and be able to market it as such if they were to invest the resources needed to do it. I think it's an idea still worth keeping on the table, in the sense that if in fact X-Rite is vacating the field of scanner profiling software and all the owners of HCT targets wish to continue using them to create new profiles with emerging operating systems, the commercial attractiveness of such an option may be reasonable.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

djoy

« Reply #141 on: April 15, 2011, 08:03:30 pm »

LSI has done considerable work to maintain the functionality of SilverFast in Snow Leopard, and I do know they are working likewise for Lion

I think they're probably working overtime at the moment! It is my belief their efforts are focused on a major new release for this year, 7.0 or something, and they have given me good reason, but of course without officially admitting anything. ;D

My concern is that those efforts may be solely on this and not on updating what might soon be a "legacy" catalog, and so if this new dot release is not ready in time for Lion's release, there may be no way to use current Silverfast on the new OS with any scanners. In fairness it is not at all unreasonable for a smallish organisation to focus it's limited development resources on a major new release, it makes perfect sense and I would neither expect them to release a major new revision until it's ready, but because of the open issue over lack of Universal Binaries which has been running for 5 years now without resolution, this could come back to bite them and their customers. I guess we'll find out in due course.

but whether a Howtek version will be ready exactly when Lion appears, I agree, we don't know. There are many scanner models for which to whip the application into line.

I honestly wouldn't expect there to be a Howtek version available straight away, it's surely way down the pecking order, their most common models would, and should be the priority. My concern is not that a Howtek version will be available so I can update to Lion straight away, but that those less common (but premium priced) models will be dropped altogether, and thus only the old PowerPC binary will be available, blocking future OS upgrade paths completely. A critical bug went unfixed in the Howtek version for some time because Lasersoft's Howtek broke and they couldn't lay their hands on a replacement, it has to be a niche segment of their catalogue, so I'm distinctly aware I'm hanging on by my fingertips anyway. I would really rather not be forced into finding a different scanner or scanning software, I like my scanner, and support issues aside, I personally have yet to see the equal to Silverfast in scanning capability.

I agree that in principle HCT targets should be at least as good if not better than LSI's IT8 (but I haven't tested this in practice, so can't say for sure). I think it would be eminently reasonable for them to have a look at the HCT target as a basis for their Auto profiling tool and I suggested this quite a long time ago. Of course the inconveniences to them are that (1) the HCT target is proprietary so they would need to do a deal with the owner, and (2) they would need to reprogram and test their algorithm and tweak it for each scanner model, so clearly a non-trivial undertaking. Here I'm speculating - I think reasonably - that they would need to be convinced it's really a whole lot better than what they're doing and be able to market it as such if they were to invest the resources needed to do it. I think it's an idea still worth keeping on the table, in the sense that if in fact X-Rite is vacating the field of scanner profiling software and all the owners of HCT targets wish to continue using them to create new profiles with emerging operating systems, the commercial attractiveness of such an option may be reasonable.

I think it would be a nice feather in LSI's cap to have that capability, but as you say, there are factors to consider, and I suspect they have other priorities at the moment :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 08:05:49 pm by djoy »

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2011, 08:36:36 pm »

Since it looks like you will continue to have trouble with new Mac OS upgrades, why not just get a cheap PC running Win7 and use that for your scanner needs?  It should be pretty cheap as long as you only need to run the scanning software (of course you could always end the Mac problems once and for all and move over to the very stable Win7 OS but that might be too much to ask).

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2011, 10:47:15 pm »

Since it looks like you will continue to have trouble with new Mac OS upgrades, why not just get a cheap PC running Win7 and use that for your scanner needs?  It should be pretty cheap as long as you only need to run the scanning software (of course you could always end the Mac problems once and for all and move over to the very stable Win7 OS but that might be too much to ask).

Alan, interesting you should suggest this. As you know, I'm a pretty brand-agnostic guy. Whatever works. But fair is fair, and some things just work better than others. For me, the life of Windows was 1991-2010. It's over with and I'm now totally and happily on Mac, EXCEPT for two pieces of legacy software - back to X-Rite, the topic of this thread - ColorShop X which came bundled with the Pulse Elite profiling package. The last version of that was 2006 and it will never be upgraded beyond Windows XP, so I kept my old XP laptop ONLY for that one piece of software and one other not made for Mac. By some happenstance even the X-Rite techs were surprised to hear about, XRite Pulse Elite (for the profiling) works on Mac 10.6.4., but come Lion all bets are off, so that will probably be the third item for the laptop. ColorShop X has a wonderful utility called a Color Scratchpad, which allows you to take readings of printed colours with the spectro and see them instantly and effortlessly analyzed into their L*a*b*, and RGB components in a nice layout on your display. This is great for round-tripping profiles to test for accuracy between print and file data. None of X-Rite's fancy profiling software has anything like this, nor does ColorThink Pro. X-Rite promises me that ColorSHop X will not work on Windows 7 period. Recall, not everything that is legacy Windows and worked on XP is assured to work on Win7, no matter how good an OS it is reputed to be. I run Win7 Pro once in a while on my new MacBook Pro under Parallels. So another option for *djoy* may be to stick with the Mac, buy Parallels (pretty cheap), install Win7 (not so cheap) as a virtual machine under Parallels and run the scanning software from there, as SilverFast is Win7-compliant as far as I know. But I don't think it will come to that. Whether it happens the day Lion comes out, who knows, and this is hypothesizing on my part, but I can't imagine SilverFast's very large user base being deprived for long. I can relate to his concern about the Howtek scanner. Really top-rate film scanners have become scarce and very costly, so it's worthwhile hanging-in for a solution.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

djoy

« Reply #144 on: April 16, 2011, 07:35:06 am »

Yes, I have options, but after years of having clearly far too many computers kicking around, I'm on a downsizing drive ;)

Mostly use VMWare Fusion on the Mac Pro to run Windows and Unix VMs now (similar to Mark's suggestion), so running the software in Windows is a backup plan, but I try to avoid Windows if I can. My best option at the moment is an aging 2006 Macbook Pro which I could keep just to run the scanning/profiling software (as it also nicely has a Firewire 400 port for the FW->SCSI converter). Just doing all this stuff on the one big machine with all the memory is so much easier. ;D

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2011, 09:21:33 am »

I use Oracle's Virtual Box emulator. Free, with some license restrictions.

Edmund

Alan, interesting you should suggest this. As you know, I'm a pretty brand-agnostic guy. Whatever works. But fair is fair, and some things just work better than others. For me, the life of Windows was 1991-2010. It's over with and I'm now totally and happily on Mac, EXCEPT for two pieces of legacy software - back to X-Rite, the topic of this thread - ColorShop X which came bundled with the Pulse Elite profiling package. The last version of that was 2006 and it will never be upgraded beyond Windows XP, so I kept my old XP laptop ONLY for that one piece of software and one other not made for Mac. By some happenstance even the X-Rite techs were surprised to hear about, XRite Pulse Elite (for the profiling) works on Mac 10.6.4., but come Lion all bets are off, so that will probably be the third item for the laptop. ColorShop X has a wonderful utility called a Color Scratchpad, which allows you to take readings of printed colours with the spectro and see them instantly and effortlessly analyzed into their L*a*b*, and RGB components in a nice layout on your display. This is great for round-tripping profiles to test for accuracy between print and file data. None of X-Rite's fancy profiling software has anything like this, nor does ColorThink Pro. X-Rite promises me that ColorSHop X will not work on Windows 7 period. Recall, not everything that is legacy Windows and worked on XP is assured to work on Win7, no matter how good an OS it is reputed to be. I run Win7 Pro once in a while on my new MacBook Pro under Parallels. So another option for *djoy* may be to stick with the Mac, buy Parallels (pretty cheap), install Win7 (not so cheap) as a virtual machine under Parallels and run the scanning software from there, as SilverFast is Win7-compliant as far as I know. But I don't think it will come to that. Whether it happens the day Lion comes out, who knows, and this is hypothesizing on my part, but I can't imagine SilverFast's very large user base being deprived for long. I can relate to his concern about the Howtek scanner. Really top-rate film scanners have become scarce and very costly, so it's worthwhile hanging-in for a solution.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up