Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Daily forum donwtime?  (Read 4036 times)

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
Daily forum donwtime?
« on: March 28, 2011, 10:02:02 am »

Looks like this forum is down, for about half an hour, each day around 6:00 GMT; at least, I have witnessed it stop responding several times recently, and always at the same time. I am not complaining, but perhaps the site owners might want to have a word or two with the hosting provider.

stamper

Re: Daily forum donwtime?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 10:26:44 am »

Maybe the site is being up dated by Michael or somebody else on the team.  ::)

mguertin

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 10:32:42 am »

Looks like this forum is down, for about half an hour, each day around 6:00 GMT; at least, I have witnessed it stop responding several times recently, and always at the same time. I am not complaining, but perhaps the site owners might want to have a word or two with the hosting provider.

If you could provide more information it would be helpful.  When you say it's "down" what exactly do you mean?  Does the forum show a notice that it's offline for maintenance or does it just not respond?  If it doesn't respond does the rest of the site still work as expected during that time?  The only thing I've seen in any logs is about a one minute window around that time when maintenance is run where you might not be able to get a connection but it shouldn't last any longer than that.

Any additional info would be appreciated so I can track this down.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 12:35:30 pm »

I had connection problems yesterday, but can't talk anything systematic right now.
Got MySQL errors, as if the server had trouble connecting to the database or get its data in time.
But that happens only rarely - can't remember when it was the last time.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 05:10:37 am »

If you could provide more information it would be helpful.  When you say it's "down" what exactly do you mean?  Does the forum show a notice that it's offline for maintenance or does it just not respond?  If it doesn't respond does the rest of the site still work as expected during that time?  The only thing I've seen in any logs is about a one minute window around that time when maintenance is run where you might not be able to get a connection but it shouldn't last any longer than that.

Any additional info would be appreciated so I can track this down.

The forum stops responding completely, no message at all until the browser times-out; and it always lasted far longer than a couple of minutes. Cannot tell if other parts of the site worked, as I was only browsing the forum; but will check next time and report.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 02:44:18 am »

Happened again today, at 06:00 GMT: on this occasion, it just took around 5 to 10 minutes to be accessible again. All the domain was unresponsive, not just the forum; other internet sites worked properly, and I tried on a different computer, with a different browser, where I had never logged into LuLa. Does not look like a DNS issue (browser stopped at "Waiting for...", instead of "Looking for..."), but I cannot say for sure, as I had limited tools on that computer.

Again, please do not take this as a complaint; I just thought you might want to know.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 04:14:26 am »

Happened again today, at 06:00 GMT: on this occasion, it just took around 5 to 10 minutes to be accessible again. All the domain was unresponsive, not just the forum; other internet sites worked properly, and I tried on a different computer, with a different browser, where I had never logged into LuLa. Does not look like a DNS issue (browser stopped at "Waiting for...", instead of "Looking for..."), but I cannot say for sure, as I had limited tools on that computer.

Again, please do not take this as a complaint; I just thought you might want to know.

I am also having a few problems getting through at times. I don't know enough about computers to say whether it's a fault at my end or not, but I susect that there's something wrong with the telephone service. I have ADSL but then so do most people here now, and perhaps the traffic is simply too great. Some parts of Mallorca, such as Inca, use fibre optics (I'm told) but my supply is normal telephone wires... To be fair, it seems to take longer and longer for the computer to become useable at all re. the Internet.

Rob C

mguertin

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 12:28:28 pm »

Ok thanks for the info.  I will continue to look into this to see if we can find a cause.  It's very curious that the whole site was unresponsive and not just the forums.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 12:41:25 pm »

I've noticed that too. Usually late at night around tenish, here in New Mexico, MST.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

aduke

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 01:03:12 pm »

I've noticed that too. Usually late at night around tenish, here in New Mexico, MST.

I've had the same problem the last two nights, Monday at 11:15PM and last night at 10:00PM in Phoenix, AZ, MST.

Alan

mguertin

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 01:05:40 pm »

I've got an idea what might be causing this, we are working on it.

mguertin

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 01:40:38 pm »

I've got an idea what might be causing this, we are working on it.

Ok I found the problem and I think this is now sorted out. For the geeks in the crowd there was an issue with unwanted table locking that shouldn't have been happening while a backup was running, and it was due to a change in behaviour from an update of one of the tools used.  Please let me know if you run into any issues with this again but I think we're good now.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 02:35:56 am »

Ok I found the problem and I think this is now sorted out. For the geeks in the crowd there was an issue with unwanted table locking that shouldn't have been happening while a backup was running, and it was due to a change in behaviour from an update of one of the tools used.  Please let me know if you run into any issues with this again but I think we're good now.
At 06.25 GMT nothing on the site responded for 6 minutes. Every other website I went to worked fine. Not a big deal but you asked for feedback.

mguertin

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 12:34:08 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.  Given the timing of this I must have missed adding the options needed to one of the database backups.  I will investigate this further.
Pages: [1]   Go Up