Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: W  (Read 7258 times)

Rob C

Re: W
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 05:22:58 pm »

Unfortunately, I've run into a power pole due to some runaway soccer balls, so I have to second the opinion.

The bank of a river/lake must be horizontal, sorry I doubt it, otherwise how does the water flow, or do all lakes have straight sides?

Cheers,
[/q

I don't understand this. What have the banks got to do with anything? It's the slope of the bed that counts, and only over a great section of the river that feeds it and then empties it; otherwise you are just negotiating pools.

Also, the earlier post was correct: imaging shooting the location of a bend... of course it won't look 'flat' or horizontal or parallel to anything.

I'm grumpy today. I went out to lunch as usual at 1pm. Except that it was 2pm. I did notice the computer clock had changed, so having had a series of small problems with it lately, I 'corrected' it. I'm told the changes happened on Saturday, so have I gained or lost three magical hours?

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 07:26:00 pm »

Rob, Relax. Chill out. It doesn't matter. Time is an illusion we've created for ourselves.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 02:01:08 am »

Edu, When did I say cropping is a sin? What I said, and say, is that failing to try to get the picture right on the viewfinder is a sin. Since I frequently shoot fast I frequently have to correct the horizon. That's not the same thing as cropping around to see if you can find a picture in the amorphous mass of tones you shot at random.

Then I had misunderstood your point of view, sorry; I completely agree with you now.

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 07:20:53 am »

I'm posting a consensus version below, including both horizon straightening and cropping the light band at the bottom.  I think, in the end, that both changes improve the picture.  I had convinced myself that the band at the bottom echoed the wake of the Canada geese and added a sense of movement.  Posting on this board can add a reality to check to all the circular ruminations in an isolated mind.  Thank you all for your comments and especially to Slobodan for his useful tip.  It seems an obvious technique once having seen it, but in 3 years of using Photoshop, it never occurred to me.

One more comment, it's almost April and I just realized I have no idea where my W2 form is.
My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 08:30:43 am »

Dale

You have now fixed everything which I didn't like about your version #1. As you say, working in isolation can be a real problem, especially if you don't have close friends or family who are also sound critics. That is where a Forum such as this can be a huge help (or just confuse you . . . ).

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 12:22:44 pm »

"Posting on this board can add a reality to check to all the circular ruminations in an isolated mind.  Thank you all for your comments and especially to Slobodan for his useful tip.  It seems an obvious technique once having seen it..."

Posting here is a reality check for my writing as well as how I see.  Slobodan's comments may have done no more than confirm what I knew about reflections, but they suggest larger changes in how I might write about them.  My posting of the same idea four steps ahead of him seems to have done no one any good.  Is it the importance of being earnest as much as being clear and simple?  Or do my previous follies make me unlikely to be heard at all?

Bruce
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:29:17 pm by Bruce Cox »

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 01:22:40 pm »

Yes, well it was rather the way you said it, Bruce. I don't think anyone could understand it  ;)

Not to worry . . .

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Rob C

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 03:11:44 pm »

Rob, Relax. Chill out. It doesn't matter. Time is an illusion we've created for ourselves.

You mean, like, along with all the other ones?

Even my musos seem they may be an illusion: their last couple of gigs have clashed with other events that occupy the minds of many of the local expats who constitute the majority of the bar customers. There was no announcement of the next date at the end of the last gig... Apart from that, they are their own worst enemies, a symptom I recognize only too well: they turn up their noses at what seems to make the patrons dance in favour of what blows their own egos; fine if for fun, fatal if for money.

Ah for a local Chuck Berry or Jerry Lee!

Rob C

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2011, 01:52:23 am »

Just like the statement 'get out of here' in modern day language doesn't mean go away, 'Step away from the …' doesn't stop doing something, it is more of a punchline as in the Dilbert comic. I know humour can be misunderstood, so if anyone was offended by my comments I apologise, the comments have been removed to avoid confusion.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2011, 02:45:41 pm »

Just like the statement 'get out of here' in modern day language doesn't mean go away, 'Step away from the …' doesn't stop doing something, it is more of a punchline as in the Dilbert comic. I know humour can be misunderstood, so if anyone was offended by my comments I apologise, the comments have been removed to avoid confusion.

Cheers,
Hi Tom

Yes, I did take it personally and responded as I saw fit. I have never responded well to people telling me to do something without giving me a bloody good reason.

I could not work out why, making what I thought was a constructive observation, you appeared to be offended by it. I offered my opinion in what I thought was a friendly manner to someone who introduced the picture "with trepidation". I figure that if I am going to ask people here to take the time to look at my pictures, then the least I can do is reciprocate - and that too requires practice. (I suppose that may require a certain amount of patience from the "older hands".)

Thank you for clearing things up, and I too, apologise for my response.

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2011, 02:25:52 am »

The acid test is the telephone pole in the background. It should be vertical no matter what lateral angle the picture was shot from. Based on the pole, CS5 tells me the picture needs a 1.34 degree rotation clockwise, hardly enough to worry about.
Our poles around here are all higgeldy pickedly ... the trees are generally a better indicationbecause generally they grow upright unless they too have started to succumb to gravity.

Julie

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2011, 09:28:32 am »

Our poles around here are all higgeldy pickedly ... the trees are generally a better indicationbecause generally they grow upright unless they too have started to succumb to gravity.

Julie
In the U.S. Northeast I don't think I have ever seen an upright pole. 5 to 20 degrees off vertical seems to be the norm.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up