Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P20 back, Worth getting?  (Read 2161 times)

john cox

• The world exposed
P20 back, Worth getting?
« on: March 27, 2011, 06:06:45 pm »

I have the ability to pick one up for about 2k. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth my while or if its too dated. My thoughts are there are quite a few pro cannon and nikon bodies rumoured to come out this year and I might be better served with one of those. Anyone have opinions?
Thanks,
John

fredjeang

Re: P20 back, Worth getting?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 06:42:57 pm »

Hi John,

It depends.
Some time ago I was looking for one of this old backs and a very nice member of this forum sent me some original files (it was Hasselblad) for examination.
They where stunning compared to the today's canons (at based isos of course).

Keep in mind that 16-20MP in a much bigger sensor surface without AA filter is not the same at all.

But then, issues like moire, "bad" higher isos, tether-dependence are also the other side of the coin.

So, yes, it depends what your priorities are.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/p25-firstlook.shtml
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 06:49:26 pm by fredjeang »

john cox

• The world exposed
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 06:52:24 pm »

I read that review and I somehow thought it was untethered, is the P20 tethered? Also from the photos in that review it looked like base iso was stunning and at 800 was on par with a modern Olympus pen. I would be happy with that, if it was much worse, (say like the slrs from that era) I would probably say no.

Does anyone have more experience with this back?

sid_v

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 06:54:13 pm »

I had an H20 back which i bought after selling the old 5d. The image quality is excellent at iso 100. The only problem was after cropping to a vertical format, i got only 12megapixels worth. If you can live with that, then get it.

donaldt

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 12:57:16 am »

I would say if you can afford it, get a more updated one
but $2000 is a great price

you wont be able to beat that quality for the same price you are paying

henrikfoto

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 02:00:29 am »

The p20 is a fantastic back! I still use it a lot even if I have much newer backs.
It has a special quality you will never find in canon.

Just never use it above iso 100. I mostly use 50.

dergiman

• http://www.philippderganz.com
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 02:46:39 am »

The P20 is a nice back, does perform great according to its´specs. I´d think about the camera that is in front and your intended use. It won´t be good for handheld use except for very bright situations or flash, remember most medium format lenses are f2.8 or darker and you´d want to stop them down to get enough dof and for better sharpness. It might be worth it for the higher flash sync speed with leaf shutter lenses or the nice square format but for rectangular images in available light situations a canon 5d2 will outperform it and the camera is included for the same amount of money.
Philipp Derganz Photography
www.philippderganz.com
Architektur Photo
Wien, Austria

Chris Livsey

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 04:58:39 pm »

The P20 takes shots that are every bit as good now as the day it was launched  ;D

BobDavid

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 10:05:41 pm »

The P20 takes shots that are every bit as good now as the day it was launched  ;D

So does my Kodak 110 Instamatic.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 11:29:42 am »

The P20 is a nice back, does perform great according to its´specs. I´d think about the camera that is in front and your intended use. It won´t be good for handheld use except for very bright situations or flash, remember most medium format lenses are f2.8 or darker and you´d want to stop them down to get enough dof and for better sharpness. It might be worth it for the higher flash sync speed with leaf shutter lenses or the nice square format but for rectangular images in available light situations a canon 5d2 will outperform it and the camera is included for the same amount of money.

I have been regularly using a p20 and have also a canon 5D2.  I really only take the canon out when I need 1) movies, 2) fast AF 3) iso 800 or higher.    The IQ of the p20 is quite excellent and the files appear to have more depth and better color than the canon files. This is also visible in the prints as well.   I'm in the process of upgrading both my digital backs and I'll miss my p20 certainly.  It was bullet proof - no probs tethering or otherwise, good on battery life, etc.  the 9um sensors have a good reputation and I can see why.
Rolleiflex USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up