Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something different  (Read 3045 times)

stamper

Something different
« on: March 27, 2011, 08:15:42 am »

For the last year I have been experimenting with ND filters. The image was taken with a 10 stop B&W filter and the effect was that of the filter and not Photoshop. The focal point is an ancient castle on the river Clyde, Scotland, that has been occupied for at least 10 centuries.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Something different
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 12:23:16 pm »

Visually, it is a fine image, with a certain sense of mystery.

Now, if I can only find that castle somewhere in the picture. Perhaps pulling it out of the total darkness into at least a deep shadow, just enough to recognize its shapes, might help?

stamper

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 12:37:39 pm »

Slobodan here is a view of the castle taken from the other side. It isn't a castle in the conventional sense. It is more like a medieval settlement on a fortified rock. The rock was originally a volcanic rock.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 02:13:34 pm »

So once it became settled it stopped being volcanic?

I like the picture anyway, Stamper, even though it's a landscape. You got hold of a really interesting sky.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 02:15:39 pm by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 05:20:11 pm »

Thats a very nice image. And the silhouette of the rock tells theres something on it - be it a castle, a jail or a brothel ...

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 05:49:34 pm »

For the last year I have been experimenting with ND filters. The image was taken with a 10 stop B&W filter and the effect was that of the filter and not Photoshop. The focal point is an ancient castle on the river Clyde, Scotland, that has been occupied for at least 10 centuries.
I think that's a hell of a good shot! The sky is wonderful. I see what Slobodan means about the blackness of the rock formation but if you hadn't mentioned the castle, I wouldn't have minded.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:07:47 am by kikashi »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 05:50:32 pm »

Didn't work with me. Ask my wife.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 06:18:03 pm »

Didn't work with me. Ask my wife.

Jeremy

Then never let them give you beta-blockers; it'll kill your eruptions stone dead...

;-(

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 06:20:01 pm »

Great shot - try cutting a smidgeon off the right-hand side.

Rob C

walter.sk

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 07:43:03 pm »

I think the effect is stunning.  As it is, the composition is good, and the sky is very dramatic.  I think it might be stronger with less of the foreground and more of the sky, fading to black.  I took the liberty of using Photoshop to crop the foreground and add some of the sky (with Content Aware Fill).  I am not suggesting that you do that with the picture, and my attempt was quick and dirty, but see if the drama is heightened by the shift in emphasis.

Please forgive me for operating on your image.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 02:25:18 am »

Nice one Stamper. The intensity of the light and clouds make the photo for me.

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 03:10:38 am »

Hey stamper

I really like the picture. I'm not just saying that because of what happened with your previous post either! Despite the fact that I'm not crazy about "sunset/sunrise" pics the clouds are amazing and it it a picture I would have been pleased to take. (Based on some of the comments my pictures have received that may not be a compliment! However, it is intended as one.)

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

stamper

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 03:48:00 am »

I like the picture anyway, Stamper, even though it's a landscape. You got hold of a really interesting sky.

Russ I believe the volcano was about a mile away and spewed out the rock which then became inhabited some time afterwards. This was before my time. You could ask Rob, he might know because I think he was around about then? ;D :) I like sunsets with a good focal point. I don't think it is enough to have just a sky. Thank you all for the feedback, even Walker. ;) :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:50:17 am by stamper »

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 05:14:08 am »

Russ I believe the volcano was about a mile away and spewed out the rock which then became inhabited some time afterwards. This was before my time. You could ask Rob, he might know because I think he was around about then? ;D :) I like sunsets with a good focal point. I don't think it is enough to have just a sky. Thank you all for the feedback, even Walker. ;) :)

Alas, my back was turned whilst I was organizing the split betwen the Baleares and the Pitiusas - can't do everything at once, you know.

;-)

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up