Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Published in the Digital Photographer Magazine  (Read 9103 times)

John R

Re: Published in the Digital Photographer Magazine
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 09:19:29 am »

I saw a couple of your images earlier and these are also quite good. Congratulations.

JMR

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 10:48:26 am »

Congratulations, Slobodan. What is your take on seeing your work in print?

walter.sk

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 03:19:42 pm »

Great shot!  I like the graphic qualities and color.  I checked out your flicker site, and I was impressed with the energy and life your pictures convey.  But my favorite is the rainy shot of Paris through the window.  It really creates a mood.

GlennMorimoto

• http://www.morimotophotography.com
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 05:35:34 pm »

Wow, fantastic shot of Marina City...I love this shot!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 07:35:35 pm »

... What is your take on seeing your work in print?

Ah! What a great question!

Mixed feelings, really. Of course there is a certain amount of ego stroking and pride... just how much depends on each individual's need for external validation, and that need appears to decline with age (and wisdom?) and the amount of already published work. I had my first work published in the 80s and was, come to think of it, paid for it more than today, even without adjusting for inflation. The work was for DIY and Home & Garden-type magazines, not fine art though. As of recently, I've seen my work published and rewarded in Popular Photography, a full page inside the U.K.'s Digital Photographer Magazine, and a cover of the same magazine. I've seen it published in a book too, Photographer's Forum Annual "The Best of 2009".

Why mixed feelings then? Well, the cover was paid decently. The inside-published ones came later and were crowd-sourced, i.e., not paid for. Nothing for the book either.

It seems though that at least some of us humans are hard-wired to correlate value with price, and thus assume what comes (and goes) free has little value. I think Rob was talking about it at some point, i.e., the importance of knowing that not only someone likes your work enough to publish it, but is also ready to pay for it.

At some point you realize that our vanity and need for recognition is becoming a prey for publishers and magazines. We pay them to participate in their contests, we buy their books that nobody else would shell out $50-60 for, just to show our friends and family we are in it (together with almost a thousand other "carefully selected" entries). At some point, you got to become jaded with the whole process. Couple that with the overall decline in the perceived value of photography, due to digital, and you will understand why I have mixed feeling about being published.

P.S. On the other hand, isn't it really nice when a true pro, like Glenn Morimoto, compliments your photograph? ;)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:55:02 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 08:58:02 am »

Many years ago I read an interesting (and pretty accurate) description of what it feels like to have a poem published: "It's like dropping a feather into a well and listening for the splash."
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 10:22:08 am »

… isn't it really nice when a true pro, like Glenn Morimoto, compliments your photograph?

We all seek affirmation in the work we do. It is delightful to get positive feedback from our peers, but even nicer to support the practice.

As a suggestion, what ever means you used to bring the work to the attention of the publisher is something you would help yourself by doing more of, if reasonably possible. It’s often the case that persistent marketing efforts makes the difference between good work and good income from the work.

As an aside, what do you think of the difference between the work you composed and printed (I'm guessing you printed it anyway) and the look of the product in the publication? There appears an obvious reduction of quality in your reproduction of the printed edition that isn’t in the original you posted.

Thanks for your well thought through reply.

solardarkroom.com

• http://www.solardarkroom.com
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 04:26:56 pm »

I've only spent a few hours in Chicago between trains from NY to LA (stuck in the Christmas storms) and your beautiful shots look very familiar. A cab took us to a great Brazilian BBQ joint and I'm sure we passed that round parking structure. The Windy City was the one moment of pleasure and comfort in a 4 day ordeal! I hope to return with my camera one day.

Cheers,
David

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 05:41:16 pm »

One more congratulations!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 06:35:31 pm »

... As an aside, what do you think of the difference between the work you composed and printed (I'm guessing you printed it anyway) and the look of the product in the publication? There appears an obvious reduction of quality in your reproduction of the printed edition that isn’t in the original you posted...

The difference is not that big when the actual magazine page is compared to the original on screen (apart from the fact that any printout will look duller than its screen counterpart). What is in my post, representing the magazine page, is a second-generation copy done with my Canon G10. Of course, the printed page is done using offset printing, and as such will always be inferior to screen, inkjet and traditional prints. The smaller the print, the more visible those offset dots will be.

On the other hand, I always liked U.K. photographic magazines for the print quality of their covers... nice, heavy stock used, and super glossy. My cover looked really good, compared to an inkjet printout. Compare that to American photo magazines (the likes of Popular Photography) with their flimsy covers, which become practically destroyed by fingerprints and smudges after just one reading (while leaving your fingers black or multi-colored).

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2011, 12:23:55 am »

Congrats, and nice shot, Slobodan!

Would you want to trade cameras? Obviously your G10 takes better photos than my G10.  :(

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2011, 04:30:21 pm »

Just discovered that my Chicago photograph was also published in the Italian edition of the UK Digital Photographer Magazine (Photografare in Digitale, #69, July 2011, page 29), and wanted to say hello to our Italian friends :):

Photografare in Digitale #69 by Slobodan Blagojevic, on Flickr
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up