Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Panned  (Read 4132 times)

stamper

Panned
« on: March 26, 2011, 06:30:37 am »

Yesterday I tried, for the first time, panning at a slow shutter speed. The first one partially worked because I was trying to freeze the subject and not the background. The second failed but the effect of the bus in the background and the person in the wheelchair, possibly wishing they had stayed on the pavement, appealed to me.

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
Re: Panned
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 06:53:22 am »

I hope you don't mind me using the quote:

"Personally I wouldn't have posted them for critique. This isn't to say I am an expert on photography but I don't think they merit a place. Images posted for critique should have - IMO - some artistic appeal and these don't. As I stated they are recording the scene and not expressing anything artistically. If you look at other images posted in this section then the "good" ones has the appeal. I don't think the images can actually be improved with processing, they are what they are."

I could not have said it better :)
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

stamper

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 07:09:35 am »

A quote I made in this thread.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=52196.msg429537#msg429537

Couldn't you have found something more original? You may not find the images appealing but there is - imo - some artistic content? ;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 07:11:33 am by stamper »

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 08:13:29 am »

Stamper

You have said yourself that these are your first attempts at panning. Panning, like many other aspects of photography, is a highly skilled process, so nobody would really expect to get a great shot on their first go at it. And, of course, you didn't, either with these or the other one you posted separately. There is no shame in that at all, but there are two elements to this which should have rung warning bells before you posted on here -

* You took them "yesterday". Photographs should mature, like fine wine, before you even dream of presenting them for public view. It is almost impossible to judge the worth of anything immediately after you have taken it. A few months is pretty much minimum.

* This is your "first time" at a new technique. It is always better to keep anything new under wraps until you have fully mastered it - even from your girlfriend.

For a successful pan, the background should be blurred of course, but the subject must be sharp. And you cannot neglect any of the other aspects of good composition in the process, either. That said, I admire you for having a go at it, because I certainly can't pan to save my life  ;) And some of your other pictures have been really great.

John

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:18:56 am by John R Smith »
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

stamper

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 08:20:24 am »

John you make some very good points,especially.

* You took them "yesterday". Photographs should mature, like fine wine, before you even dream of presenting them for public view. It is almost impossible to judge the worth of anything immediately after you have taken it. A few months is pretty much minimum.

I was looking for some technical feedback hence I couldn't wait months. One problem is of course good subjects and composition which I will have to look harder for. I thought the two images had some comic appeal, at least to my sense of humour. I didn't for one moment think they were up there with the best but wanted comment. :) ;)

BTW any tips on getting a girlfriend, bearing in mind I am almost your age? ;D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:21:56 am by stamper »

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 09:39:09 am »

Tips for a mature gentleman is search of new girlfriend?

Wear your sleeves pulled up slightly to show the golden Rolex (S/S Submariners won't do the trick; all camera crews wear those). You will, of course, have to fish in sophisticated waters for that to work; other waters sport fish that will think them bling.

Rob C (wishing he'd gone the extra couple of grand...)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 12:54:29 pm »

"Personally I wouldn't have posted them for critique. This isn't to say I am an expert on photography but I don't think they merit a place. Images posted for critique should have - IMO - some artistic appeal and these don't. As I stated they are recording the scene and not expressing anything artistically. If you look at other images posted in this section then the "good" ones has the appeal. I don't think the images can actually be improved with processing, they are what they are."

Damn it, Walker! I thought I had exclusive rights on sarcasm with Stamper!?  ;D

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 02:47:32 pm »

BTW any tips on getting a girlfriend, bearing in mind I am almost your age? ;D

Stamper, unfortunately I would be the worst possible person to ask for advice on that topic. I am not one of those fortunate people blessed with the ability to captivate and charm the fairer sex. Which is probably why I have far too much time to spend on the LL forum, rather than engaging with real life  ;)

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

William Walker

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 03:05:25 pm »

Damn it, Walker! I thought I had exclusive rights on sarcasm with Stamper!?  ;D

Let's make a deal; you keep going with the sarcasm and I'll just stick to being a smartass ;D (I'm saving up to send him to Charm  8) School - you can chip in if you like)
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 03:07:03 pm »

Photographs should mature, like fine wine, before you even dream of presenting them for public view. It is almost impossible to judge the worth of anything immediately after you have taken it. A few months is pretty much minimum.

* This is your "first time" at a new technique. It is always better to keep anything new under wraps until you have fully mastered it - even from your girlfriend.

For a successful pan, the background should be blurred of course, but the subject must be sharp

I need to take issue with the above comments, especially in the case of these photos. If someone is looking for technical help, as Stamper is doing here, keeping photos "under wraps" isn't doing anything. Worse yet, it's hindering further efforts. I suggest the exact opposite, show 'em as soon as you dare. Then, with the critiques and new insight in mind, go give it another shot.

That said, if someone is looking more for a more thoughtful and subjective artistic response, then it may be best and wait to ensure the image is worthy of the photographer's vision, but even then it's not necessarily best to wait.

As for panning itself, it's true that in many images the subjects are sharp, but that's by no means necessary. There are times when a blur on both the background/foreground AND the subject may be desirable as it offers a different, more hectic feeling, as in the second image.

In the case of the photos in question, though, while I don't think either is overly compelling, I do think that they're both technically very good. I favor the wheelchair photo as it exhibits great fun and energy. You can even see a smile on a couple of the faces. I think you did a nice job.

Chuck
"The real voyage of discove

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 04:39:16 pm »

I know that many top pros shoot cars, boats, bullfights etc. that way and on slr cameras to boot, but I can't think of a more useless tool for the function. A D700 isn't the ideal thing at all: you really want something that doesn't blank out at the tickly bit.

A wire frame finder would help - easy to make your own and fit it to the tripod hole or you could even risk disturbing the shoe on top of the prism, if you dare, but either way, the ability to continue vision is essential if you want the operation to feel instinctive. It's hard enough not to stop and go all steady on yourself when you press the button, regardless of what camera you have...

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 05:24:55 pm »

Stamper, unfortunately I would be the worst possible person to ask for advice on that topic. I am not one of those fortunate people blessed with the ability to captivate and charm the fairer sex. Which is probably why I have far too much time to spend on the LL forum, rather than engaging with real life  ;)

John
John, that's only a beleif beleive me. The secret is: you just have to beleive it yourself (not listening to the apparences or the past). I never listen to the external factors. Just think you have sex appeal. Live it that way. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 05:34:11 pm by fredjeang »

michswiss

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 06:51:39 pm »

I've played with panning on occasion.  It's one of those types of shots for me that requires more setup and location selection than normal street captures.   I don't think either of these really works, although the wheelchair sure would have been a blast if it had come together.  Rob makes a good point about the camera and framing.  It takes a conscious effort to not stop much less maintain a steady motion when the mirror slaps closed on the D700 as with most SLRs. 

popnfresh

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 07:23:47 pm »

Walker, this is the User Critiques forum. It's perfectly appropriate for stamper's pictures to be here. This isn't intended to be a gallery space where people go looking for praise, although there's certainly a lot of that going on here. Photographs are posted here because the photographer is inviting constructive criticism. So it stands to reason there may be pictures here that you think are flawed. Instead of scolding someone for posting a picture in this forum that you don't like, why not offer some insight into how it could be made better?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 07:26:47 pm by popnfresh »

William Walker

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 04:14:26 am »

Walker, this is the User Critiques forum. It's perfectly appropriate for stamper's pictures to be here. This isn't intended to be a gallery space where people go looking for praise, although there's certainly a lot of that going on here. Photographs are posted here because the photographer is inviting constructive criticism. So it stands to reason there may be pictures here that you think are flawed. Instead of scolding someone for posting a picture in this forum that you don't like, why not offer some insight into how it could be made better?

Hey Pop, take it easy. This is all quite light-hearted stuff which, I'm afraid, you seem to have missed.

I "cut & pasted" stamper's quote to another poster a few days ago and used it on him, so, if you don't like the comment - have a go at stamper, not me. :)
I would think that the last person on this forum who needs someone to defend him would be good old stamper! You will also note that he came right back at me in my post of a beautiful seascape.

On a more serious note, the topic of what should and should not be posted here was discussed on an earlier thread- I tried to find the thread, but could not. To the best of my knowledge the issue was not resolved.

Anyway, I am far too unqualified to be of value to that debate.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:34:28 am by W. Walker »

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 07:58:35 am »

No one expects the spanish inquisition!
Our cheap weapon is surprise ....
Punch him with the cushion!

stamper

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 08:10:41 am »

Let's make a deal; you keep going with the sarcasm and I'll just stick to being a smartass ;D (I'm saving up to send him to Charm  8) School - you can chip in if you like)

Would you please form an orderly queue behind the other half dozen detractors on the forum who have issues with me. :) ;) ;D

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 11:19:12 am »

Stamper,

It’s good to see you trying something different.

Re meeting women, try volunteering at a local charity organization for a while. A bigger one. You might like it and lots of women work at charity organizations, some employed and some who volunteer, but in nearly all cases, they score way above average in the warm heart category.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 09:50:11 am »

[...]

I was looking for some technical feedback [...]
Do you really need "technical feedback"? C'mon!

stamper

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 10:23:28 am »

If someone on the forum, who was more proficient than me, looked at my efforts they might have been able to give me advice on improving? I thought that was the purpose of the critique? ???
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up