Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rockpool  (Read 2754 times)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
Rockpool
« on: March 25, 2011, 03:26:52 pm »

Hi Folks

Your comments are valued.

Thanks
William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

armand

• Photos
Re: Rockpool
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 04:41:18 pm »

I like it. It feels peaceful despite the menacing clouds. Probably its simplicity adds up to this feeling.

popnfresh

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 06:18:48 pm »

It doesn't quite hang together for me. I probably would have repositioned the camera to emphasize the interesting pool and rocks in the foreground. I'm not sure that the breakers and sky do much for the overall shot.

Semillon

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 06:24:31 pm »

From a technical perspective, the image does not stand up when viewed at 50% or even 25% due to severe pixelation of the sky in particular, you may wish to reduce the dimensions of the image by half and then save at a maximum .jpg quality level when preparing an image for the web.

William Walker

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 02:49:33 am »

I like it. It feels peaceful despite the menacing clouds. Probably its simplicity adds up to this feeling.

It is funny. On my home monitor the clouds are not as "menacing" and I did not intend them to be as dark. On my monitor at work they are. This is the second time a post has not been as it was intended. The last one "Karoo Train Line" had blown out clouds - the opposite of what has happened here. (Yes, my monitor is calibrated and my prints match my monitor just fine. :-\)

Pop - I thought I had emphasized the pool!

Cheers
William

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

stamper

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 07:31:53 am »

It doesn't quite hang together for me. I probably would have repositioned the camera to emphasize the interesting pool and rocks in the foreground. I'm not sure that the breakers and sky do much for the overall shot.

From a technical perspective, the image does not stand up when viewed at 50% or even 25% due to severe pixelation of the sky in particular, you may wish to reduce the dimensions of the image by half and then save at a maximum .jpg quality level when preparing an image for the web.

+2

The merits of an image is subjective but getting the processing right is fundamental. Regarding the merits, it lacks a focal point and your eyes wander about the frame. If the rocks in the background were more prominent then it would have been better. ;)

William Walker

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 08:09:10 am »

Nice one Stamper - you did not let me down ;D

stamper

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 08:54:08 am »

I have a spare parachute if you want it. I promise I won't cut it if you use it. ;) ;D 8)

DiegoP

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 12:35:58 pm »

I think the technical issue with the photo is that you should convert the profile to srgb (not ProPhotoRgb) before watching it in a browser, otherwise there would be a shift in colors.
I also observe there's some kind of posterizing in the clouds that I guess it is because of burning some channels during exposure.
Diego

spbimages

• SPBIMAGES
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 04:01:53 pm »

I agree with most of the comments. I don't think the breakers and the sky add much. The real subject is the reflection in the pool. Also I think the left side is cut off too much. I don't know if you took more shots, but this is a place that you could work until the tide comes in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up