Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mallorca X-Mas 2010  (Read 2046 times)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Mallorca X-Mas 2010
« on: March 25, 2011, 01:36:15 pm »

I visited relatives in Mallorca this winter. Though I hadn't much opportunity to try my tank (Mamiya Press) I did some images with my P/S camera.

1. View from the place where I had my morning shower outside the house.
2. A piggy near the Necropolis at the east coast
3. House with tangerine tree in Artá
4. Flower, Fence, Sun ..
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 05:13:58 pm by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

popnfresh

Re: Plant Leaves
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 02:35:56 pm »

The composition just seems like a jumble to me. My eye isn't drawn to anything in particular.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

Re: Mallorca X-Mas 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 05:09:48 pm »

Yes, Pop -the leaves in the first image were intended as an abstract study ...

After I realized I wanted to post more images from the Mallorca trip,
I decided to change the thread title and add some more images.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 05:29:14 pm by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

popnfresh

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 06:12:02 pm »

After I realized I wanted to post more images from the Mallorca trip,
I decided to change the thread title and add some more images.

I like the three new ones much better, especially the one with the flowers and the chainlink fence.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 03:13:19 am »

Here are some more from the same trip.
Though I like them, I am not 100% content with them, basically I'm struggleing a lot with the toning.
I wish I had a really good book on postprocessing the tones and instructions on blancing local/global contrast and getting the curves right, especially when there is a lot of contrast.
I think I'll look for some workshop on the matter.
Anyway ... still posting ...
1. Hamburg airport - waiting for the flight
2. Cala Varques
3. Gulf of Alcúdia
4. Artá
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:25:45 am by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 06:05:20 am »

Gulf of Pollensa/ Bay of Pollensa.

That's where I live. I don't recognize any of it. Where from?

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 06:27:52 am »

Oops - mistake - It was the Gulf of Alcúdia - One bay south ....  thanks for the hint ...

http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=pollensa&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Pollen%C3%A7a,+Balearen,+Spanien&ll=39.774093,3.334216&spn=0.00409,0.008256&t=h&z=18

The camera was pointing southwest into the bay to Betlem.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 09:32:28 am »

I still don't see it. Looking south-west from Alcudia you see a bay that curves the opposite way; the curve is inwards towards the right side: it curves inwards towards the west. Also, it's miles of flat beach - Playa de Muro - and ends up on a plain line of hills with Cabo Ferrutx and its lighthouse. If you have reversed the image, then there's a possibility that you were somewhere in the northern limits of Alcudia beyond the old powerstation with the two big stacks, but as much of the coast-line is military-controlled on that peninusla, you were taking your life in your hands.

I can't believe that I wouldn't have found the place: during our first year here on the island we drove down every track that would take a small car in the search for photo locations for calendars. To me, it looks like further south in the Cala Ratjad hills...

Can't get the Google map to budge and allow a wider viewing to see where you were.

Interesting coastline, wherever it is!

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 09:49:49 am »

Its not in Alcúdia, but southeast of it

I'll give you a new zoomed-out link:
http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=pollensa&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Pollen%C3%A7a,+Balearen,+Spanien&t=h&ll=39.789676,3.236332&spn=0.130849,0.264187&z=13

Its the part of the coast northeast of Betlem in the lower right part of the linked Google map

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 05:10:38 pm »

Its not in Alcúdia, but southeast of it

I'll give you a new zoomed-out link:
http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=pollensa&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Pollen%C3%A7a,+Balearen,+Spanien&t=h&ll=39.789676,3.236332&spn=0.130849,0.264187&z=13

Its the part of the coast northeast of Betlem in the lower right part of the linked Google map

Right, I think I get you: you must be north of Betlem pointing southish - that would give you the curve on the left of the pic and not on the right. I've done a lot of calendar shots (on the website) using the beach further towards Son Serra from your probable viewpoint. If you go into my Gallery 2, shot numbered "11 of 42" is shot in that area; the mountains behind the girl lead on, to the left, to the headland of Cabo Ferrutx, which is where I think you were. Under the mountains there, you can find a tiny harbour which I've been to by boat; there's supposed to be a track to it, but we never did find one that was driveable by car. No military presence in that area, as far as I know.

If you return, whatever you do, resist the temptation to swim off that beach between Son Serra and Colonia San Pedro: we almost died there, only about thirty feet out. The currents are vicious; in our case, we suddenly found no bottom. I could swim quite strongly when I was young, but my wife never was that good at it. Anyway, she panicked and tried to turn back to the shore. I thought I'd better accompany her back, and discovered that we were both holding position at best. Getting tired, I realised we were not going to make it that way, so I thought of going under and seeing if I could hit bottom. I could, and the answer for us was that I'd sink down and then spring back up off the bottom and push her towards the shore in a series of such launched pushes. If I'd been thinking rationally, I'd simply have swum sideways until we passed the hole and found ground again. Or not.

The restaurant owner we knew at Serra Nova told us that people died there every year. Just by the restaurant there is a flagged area that's supposedly safe...

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up