Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Considering moving from Hasselblad CM to H4D-40.  (Read 8955 times)

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Re: Considering moving from Hasselblad CM to H4D-40.
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 03:42:34 am »

John, how do you explain that such camera (probably more expensive then any stills camera in history) comes equipped with less then stellar display? And why customers accept that?

Mike

I think the answer to that is in two parts. Most of the MF folks who need the new ability of digital capture to be able to see the scene as they shoot it (live-view) or immediately afterwards will be shooting tethered in the studio, so they don't use or need the LCD on the digiback itself. They have all they need on their PC monitor, better than any camera LCD could ever be. And an awful lot of H-System users will be in this category, as it is Hasselblad's main market (judging by their promotional focus).

Secondly, some field photographers like myself who have always shot with film really don't care much about being able to see the image on the LCD (well, I know I don't). I do need to be able to see the menus to change the ISO, and having a histogram is a real luxury (just to check that the faithful Weston was right - and it usually is). But beyond that, I'm not really interested - I enjoy shooting just as I did with film, and I'll think about the results when I get home. If I kept looking at what I'd just taken it would interrupt my flow, make me question what I was doing, and even the best LCD screen would be far too small to judge what will eventually be a 16x12 or larger print. Even worse, the screen display is in colour when I am always shooting for B/W, so how could I assess that?

The time to get the picture right is when you frame it up in the viewfinder.

John
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 03:56:25 am by John R Smith »
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Erick Boileau

• http://
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 06:41:14 am »

I agree 100% with John to see the picture on a LCD has zero interest for me, a good 3 colors histogram is all what I need
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 02:39:02 am by erickb »

design_freak

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 10:34:26 am »

Too bad they did not produce a "CFV-40" ...
At least the sensitivity range and quality in the higher ranges of sensitivity. Nothing more to luck is not needed. Well, maybe except the larger dimensions of the matrix.
Best regards,
DF

Ajoy Roy

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 08:58:05 am »

Well they have the CFV-39, which comes close, even though it is last generation.
Ajoy Roy, image processing

design_freak

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2011, 09:13:20 am »

Well they have the CFV-39, which comes close, even though it is last generation.

Unfortunately not. These CCD are quite different.
Best regards,
DF
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up