Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC Problem  (Read 4896 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
PC Problem
« on: July 08, 2005, 09:30:00 pm »

David,

Some vague ideas:

- I assume that you have already tried rebooting the PC (not just log off)?
- Did you check in the properties of the files whether they are not set to read only?
- Is the user you are currently using to try deleting the files the same you were logged on with when you created them? There might be a priviledge issue,
- One last possibility might be some sort of virus activity, but I never heard of a virus that prevents the deletion of files, usually they sort of promote that... :-)

Good luck,

Regards,
Bernard

David R. Gurtcheff

PC Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 12:20:33 am »

Thanks for your help. I deleted the Microsoft RAW file Viewer Utility I had recently down loaded, as suggested on another forum, re-booted, and the problem went away. I supplement my income with my photography, and depend on my computer....GODAM Microsoft!!!
Thanks again all.
Dave

David R. Gurtcheff

PC Problem
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 10:38:03 am »

Bernie is correct: the files I could not delete were all TIFF files.
Dave

David R. Gurtcheff

PC Problem
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 03:16:24 pm »

I have a dilema, that only recently surfaced. Lately some of my files I can not delete. I get a message that the file is in use by another program or person. I am the only one that uses my PC; however my grand kids (ages 10 and 14)were here several weeks ago and used my Pc for their games, emails etc. I checked to see if there were any programs running in the background, and there were none. I also noticed that there are two folders with identical contents: "My Documents" and "Owners Documents". I have a bunch of temporary work files that I created that are wasting disk space, and I can't delete the darn things. Six or seven of them I just created yesterday, and today I can't get rid of them. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Dave G. in NJ

David R. Gurtcheff

PC Problem
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 10:07:56 pm »

Thanks Bernie:
I have logged off and rebooted. I think you may have a point: there may be another "user" that somehow got registered, and I may now be an inadvertant person trying to delete someone elses files. Man!!! life used to be simpler in the old days!
I will keep trying. But my hard drive is becoming cluttered with old files I can't delete.
Thanks
Dave

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
PC Problem
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 03:19:00 am »

So it WAS indeed a virus then...

You should've said that you had troubles with tiff files, that problem was discussed quite a bit on forums, and it seems that it is a problem with the association of type and application. MS is supposedely working on fixing this issue.

By the way, I had similar issues with Bibble a few months ago.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up