Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Searching for the best possible digital back for still life.  (Read 9678 times)

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Re: Searching for the best possible digital back for still life.
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 04:39:36 pm »

I've recently tested one of the high end, 104MP scanning backs,

My feeling is that the combination of old sensor technology (some of them are no longer in production) and old software technology (no real development in the last 10-12 years) produce images that are, in general, inferior to what a good 80MP single shot back (you know which one...) with a modern software can produce, in terms of sharpness, tonality and even dynamic range.

On paper, a tri-linear, 8K, 9µ sensor (72mm long) should beat a bayer-based 5.2µ sensor, but in reality this is not happening...rather the other way around...
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 06:16:58 pm »

Frankly, unless I am shooting fabric or really moire prone things (or any other of the stuff that really benefits from multishot) I would go for the 80MP backs. I will trade-in my 39MS the moment HB comes with their H4D80.

henrikfoto

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 01:55:46 am »

I've recently tested one of the high end, 104MP scanning backs,

My feeling is that the combination of old sensor technology (some of them are no longer in production) and old software technology (no real development in the last 10-12 years) produce images that are, in general, inferior to what a good 80MP single shot back (you know which one...) with a modern software can produce, in terms of sharpness, tonality and even dynamic range.

On paper, a tri-linear, 8K, 9µ sensor (72mm long) should beat a bayer-based 5.2µ sensor, but in reality this is not happening...rather the other way around...

What exact scanning-back did you test?

Henrik

design_freak

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 04:36:20 am »

Frankly, unless I am shooting fabric or really moire prone things (or any other of the stuff that really benefits from multishot) I would go for the 80MP backs. I will trade-in my 39MS the moment HB comes with their H4D80.

Good luck!!  so you will be waiting a very long time ;-) Hasselblad had  problems with H4D60 and still have a problems with lenses. They try to lunch  H4D50MS (6 shot), but it will be around the end of the year. But I'm not sure that this year... Everything take them a very long time ... too much!!

Best regards,
Design Freak
Best regards,
DF

design_freak

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 05:15:56 am »

Leaf Aptus II 12 is a very nice Digital Back. I think that it will be easier to use that MS Digital Back and scan backs. Quality is very very good!!!
Best regards,
DF

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 05:46:35 am »

Good luck!!  so you will be waiting a very long time ;-) Hasselblad had  problems with H4D60 and still have a problems with lenses. They try to lunch  H4D50MS (6 shot), but it will be around the end of the year. But I'm not sure that this year... Everything take them a very long time ... too much!!

Best regards,
Design Freak

I know, I am not in a hurry. Dalsa needs to fulfill the P1/Leaf orders before they can start delivering to HB (which effectively comes down to an exclusivity for a period). I reckon HB will get the 80MP to work sooner than the 60. The experience on how to treat the Dalsa sensors is now available which was not there when they started the 60.

Anyway, you are right. The last couple of years they are not fast to market but having been around with this for a while this has been the case for every MF manufacturer at certain points in time . The world doesn't come to an end if I don't have my 80 soon. I can live without for a while and use MS when I need to.

BTW, I have been told some 200MS backs are now being tested in the field. In that case time to market from first introduction is not too bad, also considering that current owners of the 50MS can have it upgraded to the 2000MP version (for free?) is nice.

design_freak

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 06:14:21 am »

Well, once I have heard similar information. . While we waited for the H3DII 60.  Later Hasselblad repeatedly put off delivery. It lasted 1.5 years from the date of purchase!!!

BTW, I have been told some 200MS backs are now being tested in the field. In that case time to market from first introduction is not too bad, also considering that current owners of the 50MS can have it upgraded to the 2000MP version (for free?) is nice.
Best regards,
DF

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 07:44:01 am »

Yeah yeah yeah... you know we have all been there. The times we have been waiting for stuff have been numerous.  Remember the wireless transfer/connection for the P30 when it was introduced(this we are still waiting for actually)? The drama we had with Leaf Capture 10? Etc.. etc.. etc.. I can tell you are pissed off about something. It is not worth it to get upset about it.

I only had to wait 1 month before I got my H4D60... I was smart enough to wait to order until I held one in my hands. I have made this my motto, I only buy stuff that I have had in my hands actually. I will only pay with virtual or monopoly money for vaporware...

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 11:43:04 am »

you have to go multishot, so it's sinar or Hassie. I have a Hassie single shot w/ a P2, but also work sometimes on a Sinar 54 on the P3, gotta say, the Sinar in 4 pass amazing. Also, worth the upgrade from P2-P3, I'm considering it this year, P3 is superior for MF backs for sure.

E_Edwards

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 02:51:37 pm »

Well guys,

I tested the Leaf Aptus II-12 today and I must say, I was impressed.

For setting up, it was just a question of swapping my Aptus 65 for the AptusII-12 and everything worked fine from the first go. In fact, for those updating from another Aptus, the transition couldn't be smoother, nothing new to learn! The  lenses image circle (I tried the 120 Schneider Digitar and the 180mm Rodenstock Apo Rodagon Digital) covered the sensor well with my usual Sinar P2 camera movements, I didn't notice anything different in terms of lens coverage.

The files took a bit longer to appear in Lightroom at 100%, but that's to be expected from a 240 mb file and absolutely no problem for a still life shooter. I only tried it at the lowest ISO, because I'm not interested in higher ISO's.

I tried the on-the-fly sensor crop to 1:1, 3:4 and the elongated one (I think 16:9) and the live View automatically crops to the selected sizes. Very nice back, nice colours, like all Leafs.

Because I shot some proprietary items, I'm unable to post files, but they are similar to the one that Yair posted of the colourful still-life with fabrics, which is a good representation of what the back can do.

Edward

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 03:11:04 pm by E_Edwards »

gazwas

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 04:35:01 pm »

SO.......... did you order one ???
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

E_Edwards

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2011, 04:51:54 pm »

Another camera to test tomorrow. Then decisions, decisions...

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 07:27:50 am »

you have to go multishot, so it's sinar or Hassie. I have a Hassie single shot w/ a P2, but also work sometimes on a Sinar 54 on the P3, gotta say, the Sinar in 4 pass amazing. Also, worth the upgrade from P2-P3, I'm considering it this year, P3 is superior for MF backs for sure.
I am on my 6th Hasselblad, but I think the the Sinar 86H is the only choice for serious work for high res and reliability in heavy usage. I investigated one last year, but I wanted the whole package including the eShutters... which might be available now.

Hasselblad Live view might be adequate for you in the studio, but the Sinar daylight live view fo landscapes is a major factor for me.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up