Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anza Borrego State Park in south CA  (Read 5517 times)

Howard Smith

Anza Borrego State Park in south CA
« on: December 12, 2003, 12:33:02 pm »

I have visited Anza Borrego several times and have been consistently disappointed.  Winter is fairly bleak there.  No flowers (which seem to be the major attraction).  I have seen some interesting photos from there, so it can be done.  It just never worked or appealed to me.

Joshua Tree, on the other hand, has some very interesting rock formations as well as the Joshua Trees.  They won't be in bloom, but there could be snow to make some interesting photography.  Sunsets can be very good, especially is it is smoggy toward LA.

Howard Smith

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2003, 03:14:41 am »

If you have never been to Death Valey, I highly recommend it.  Plan ahead for lodging.  It can be tight in winter.  The days will be warm and pleasnat and the nights can be cool to cold, especially away from the Valley floor.

The sand dunes at sunrise are special.  Get there early (while still dark).  The sunrise light comes and goes very quickly.  Watch for rattle snakes in the dark.  They are pretty lethargic and won't get out of your way when its cold.

After the dunes, head up to Scotty's.  The 50ish miles are interesting andthe castle is worth the time.  It also is a good way to spend the day as the light can be flat.

On a clear day, Dante's View is good, but can be very cold and windy in the winter.

The Inn at Furnace Creek is worth looking at, but pretty pricey to stay.

Then the sights on the Valley floor can offer great photo ops.  I recommend you stop at the Park Headquarters at Furnace Creek.  Check out the photos there for ideas. The Rangers can offer advice on trips.

Doug G.

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2003, 10:18:19 am »

I just got the Photo Traveler's Guide to Death Valley, Joshus Tree, and the California Deserts.  This covers all of the S. California deserts including Anza-Borrega. It can be purchased on-line at phototravel@phototraveler.com.  Delivery is usually a couple of days.

dlashier

• http://www.lashier.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 08:38:41 pm »

If you have a 4-wheel drive there is some very interesting canyon country accessible via Anza-Borrego jeep trails. Otherwise I agree with others that Joshua Tree probably offers more opportunities. It's been a long time since I've been there but besides the rocks (and Joshua Trees, obviously) I recall some panoramic overlooks and a trail to an oasis with water and palms.

- DL

jeffball

• www.earthandskyphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 09:09:04 am »

Hello all,
I am planning on extending a business trip to San Diego to include some photography.  I am planning on taking the San Diego Zoo photo safari for some wildlife photography and I am planning on shooting in Joshua Tree NP and Anza Borrego.  I have been consulting several resources;  Mr. Hitchman's Photograph America, a book on the Anza Borrego Desert Region, a Weekender's Guide to Anza Borrego, and a couple of other resources.  My problem is that I don't have a good photographic resource for Anza Borrego.  It looks like it has some great potential and I was hoping someone on the list has some insight into best locations for sunrise/sunset and other photographic opportunities.  Thanks for any help on this you can give.  The trip is planned for the last week of January.  Best regards.  Jeff Ball
Jeff Ball
[url=http://www.earthandskypho

jeffball

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 06:42:14 pm »

Thanks Howard for the info.  I had thought of treking all the way to Death Valley.  I may still look into this if I can get my departure flight out of Las Vegas.  I will lean toward doing more work in Joshua Tree.  The Photograph America book really helps in making the trip more productive for those who have limited time at the location.  Thanks again.
Jeff
Jeff Ball

CL

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2003, 09:46:07 am »

Death Valley offers a great number of shooting ops all within short driving distance from Furnace Creek. The only exception I encountered was the dunes. They were full of footprints! I tried to convince a ranger that the Park should sweep them for us photogs, and he laughed at me. According to him, either come in the summer with less visitors. or pray for wind, or drive a fair distance to the less visited dunes. Good luck.

ryankbrooks

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2003, 05:44:39 pm »

People sometimes pan the Photo Safari at the wildlife park but I did it just this last week and really enjoyed it.

I carried my 1Ds, 17-40 and 100-400.    I used the 17-40 a lot for some neat wide angle shots of giraffes and rhinos and the 100-400 for birds and distant grouping of animals.

I did the 3.5hr trip and would recommend it.   The other folks in your truck wont be photographers- but you will have a good time and get some unique shots.

I would also encourage you to do the full walk of the park afterwards- even to the distant locations on the map.  There's lots to see and I was able to make a full day of it.

Ended up with about 800 shots, and numerous keepers!

jeffball

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2003, 09:43:05 pm »

Hello all,
Thanks so much for the replies and the resources.  I ordered the Photo Traveler resources and have received those, thanks Doug.  I am going to spend most of my time at Joshua Tree with a little drive to Salton Sea to explore the birding opportunities.  Ryan, thanks so much for the info on the Photo safari.  Yes, I plan on taking the 3hr tour with my 10D and 70-200 f2.8 IS with 1.4x extender.  I am ordering a 4gb Hitachi tomorrow for the trip to go with my 512mb Ultra.  I will tour the entire facility after the safari.  Thanks again to all for the wonderful information.  
Jeff Ball
Jeff Ball
Pages: [1]   Go Up