Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to prepare prints for various mat sizing for framing  (Read 14069 times)

ntoart

how to prepare prints for various mat sizing for framing
« on: March 23, 2011, 10:55:31 pm »

Where do I find out how to size my print properly in order to be matted--for ready made mats-- and custom sized mats? I do not want to buy a mat cutter. Also I need to figure out the correct frame size for my prints.
I have sized my prints in CS5 Photoshop---I just don't know sizing to make my prints---is there a ready made print out source with these types of sizes I could print and keep by my computer for fast reference while working on my photos?

Example: Print size will be---16 x 24-----

Mat size-----??

Proper frame size-----??
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:58:38 pm by ntoart »

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Re: how to prepare prints for various mat sizing for framing
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 11:19:33 pm »

Try this page: http://www.framedestination.com/picture_frame_sizes.html. It's a great online retailer of frames and matboards, and lists out what they offer as pre-cut options. For example, if you have an 8x10" image they have precut options that you can use to get a final frame size of 11x14, 12x14, 16x18, or 16x20, depending on your personal preference.

You can likely find a smaller line of similar choices by going to a local framing store.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Ramonn

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 12:13:23 am »

Framing can be VERY expensive, especially custom framing. I have found that buying frames at Michael's, an arts and craft store is quite reasonable.  In most cases they will have a ready made frame to fit your photo dimensions. For the 16 x 24 size you mention, adding a 2 inch mat all around would result in a frame size of 20 x28, a ready made size available at Michael's. I usually frame my 13 x19 photos in the 18 x 24 frame with double matting for approximately $40-45. This total price reflects sale prices as the frames are usually 50% off or 2 for the price of one. Prices quoted by local frame shops for comparable framing were at least $140 and up.

Ken

• http://kenschuster.com
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 12:48:30 am »

There isn't a universal standard size, but most suppliers will cut to the most popular paper sizes and ratios. "Neile" mentioned framedestination.com and they have an unusually large variety of their own "standard" sizes. However with mats, if you like your bottom border a bit wider than the top border, you're out of the "standard". Framedestination charges only a $2.50 setup fee for custom sizing, so it's not a big deal. Several years ago, I cobbled together a mat and frame sizing calculator, and it's free for everyone. It looks best with Microsoft Excel, but it also works with most other database software. http://kenschuster.com/matboardcalc/index.html

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 03:53:45 am »

Example: Print size will be---16 x 24-----

Mat size-----??

Proper frame size-----??

In Qimage, the -borders and +borders give a good simulation of what a mat and frame size could be or how to fit a given image aspect ratio in a fixed frame size. If you save frame sizes and templates in the interactive log it is a fast system too.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop

http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 11:00:53 am »

I agree, Framedestiayion.com is the place to go and I've used them for several years and several exhibits now. The laser-cut matts are perfect and their packing for shipment is bullet-proof. Price is cheaper than I can do myself.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Andrew Makiejewski

• Photography by Andrzej Stefan Makiejewski
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 12:13:05 pm »

As someone has already mentioned, you want at least a 2" border for the mat. Thus the mat would be 4" taller and wider then the print. You could have only a 1" mat border per side, but visually it does not look very good.

Not every image will always look good at a standard aspect ratio. I plan on purchasing a few frames in 3 different sizes (one to handle 16 x 20 max printers, one larger for larger prints and then one for panoramic images). The I will order the mat cut to the size of the frame and then cut the opening to the appropriate size for the image. I purchased a Logan mat cutter for $200.00. You could always order mat precut to the outside size and take it to a framer amd pay a small fee to cut the opening.

Just my 2 cents.

Andrew
Capture the moment.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 12:53:30 pm »

What I would do first is locate a source of ready-cut mats that I like and determine the opening sizes that they have available. You'll be limited by these sizes for your print sizes. Then decide if you are going to mount with the overmat overlapping the image slightly on all 4 sides or, my preference, to have a thin border of white paper visible between the image and the mat. Then your image sizes will be determined.

But, it's an shame to limit yourself to the aspect ratios that the mat company provides. Try finding a framing shop that will custom cut mats for you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up