Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sony nex fs100  (Read 6013 times)

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
sony nex fs100
« on: March 23, 2011, 03:07:26 pm »

http://prolost.com/blog/2011/3/23/sony-nex-fs100.html and other places

Looks interesting

long zoom or primes
onboard sound
S35 chip
two mount screws
check focus in shot
monitor sound
no moiree
1080 50p

What about that codec - works on a mac/fcp ?
24MBPS - seems a little compressed

Reason to buy - handy package

Reason not to buy - incremntal improvment - keep 7d and put cash in scarlet fund

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

michael

Re: sony nex fs100
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 05:02:22 pm »

The codec is a flavor of AVCHD, so not issue with editing.

But, based on initial specs there is no built-in ND filter wheel. This is a show stopper as far as I'm concerned, especially with a large sensor camera where its raison d'etre is shallow DOF, which requires ND filters in anything except low light.

Michael

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 07:19:58 pm »

MR

I have heard varied reports on built in ND

JS

As for the build quality who knows, one thing I have come to realise however is that bendy plastic can be stronger than sexy metal

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 07:47:09 pm »

and the feature set..

little moiree, long record time, monitorable sound, live focus check is a significant upgrade to a DSLR

MR

Do you have to streamclip the files or is it ready to rock out of the cam (in FCP on a clunky computer)

S

Ron Steinberg

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 09:21:54 pm »

But, based on initial specs there is no built-in ND filter wheel. This is a show stopper as far as I'm concerned, especially with a large sensor camera where its raison d'etre is shallow DOF, which requires ND filters in anything except low light.

If you're coming from a video background and used to using an EX1, then maybe this could be considered an inconvenience. I wouldn't call it a show stopper though. If you're a DOP from a production background, this is par for the course. That's what matte boxes and ND filters are for. I'm more concerned about the codec than a missing ND filter. It will be interesting to see what can be extracted from the HDMI port into a NanoFlash or similar. Otherwise, this looks like a killer product. Anybody catch that shot of the NEX-FS100 with the Zeiss CP2 lens on it? Wowza.

The demise of the video DSLR is near, very near. I say within 2 years no-one will be shooting video on a dslr. With the NEX-FS100, the AF100 and even the F3, affordable, large sensor video cameras are here. And yes, I do realize that the F3 is $16k, but that's still $10k less than a stripped down Red, which needs another $10k of accessories to make it work properly.

Ron

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 02:10:58 am »

If you're coming from a video background and used to using an EX1, then maybe this could be considered an inconvenience. I wouldn't call it a show stopper though. If you're a DOP from a production background, this is par for the course. That's what matte boxes and ND filters are for. I'm more concerned about the codec than a missing ND filter. It will be interesting to see what can be extracted from the HDMI port into a NanoFlash or similar. Otherwise, this looks like a killer product. Anybody catch that shot of the NEX-FS100 with the Zeiss CP2 lens on it? Wowza.

The demise of the video DSLR is near, very near. I say within 2 years no-one will be shooting video on a dslr. With the NEX-FS100, the AF100 and even the F3, affordable, large sensor video cameras are here. And yes, I do realize that the F3 is $16k, but that's still $10k less than a stripped down Red, which needs another $10k of accessories to make it work properly.

Ron

Dennie's own video of the sony he mentions inbuilt ND

=====

Ron

The (my) dream is ..

-use of the stills lense investment to shoot motion (at or close to its designed FOV)
-simple controls wheels for WB, F , Shutter Speed, ISO, FPS
-one device that can produce both stills and motion
-files that have the flexibility of a still raw file
-a small package
- fast AF ?
- tools for the 'image aquisition business'

none of the cams you mention kill that dream apart from Epic, which I guess is a pretty weak stills offering

cams like the F3 are pretty poor really in their image quality - not really on par with a file from a 10 year old APS DSLR cam like the nikon D100 and the EX1/F3  have a terrible UI

I think if a camera like a future pelicle mirror (no moving parts) nikon D3(4 or 5)  could get 25or more FPS to an external recorder you are more likely to see the opposite effect

the end of video cameras, even the Alexa

Considering the increases in ability  over the years of canon and nikon to capture a quantity of data in a small timespace such a device is not out of the question IMO

in two years everyone who matters will be shooting dslr for video

or at least the split may be in the ratio we see now between Phaselblad and CaNikon - 95% of  pro stills assisgnments on DSLR I guess with a small high end % on Phaselblad

Pro large sensor video aquisition 2013.. 95% DSLR, 5% ALexa or Epic - my guess

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:56:28 am by Morgan_Moore »

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 12:25:44 pm »

Alex over at Vid35 has this to say about the Sony.  http://tiny.cc/3wkrp
CMurph

ziocan

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 08:33:01 am »

A review that starts with "fear of buyer remorse" over another camera, is not even worth reading.
Cannot be objective.

Beside, he says that the footage looks like Canon 5D or F100. With the F100, is a close call. But the Canon 5D, does not even come close.
Let's do not even mention canon DSLR skin tones on video.

BTW. Majority of people will not shoot with an Alexa or an Epic, because they cost 1200$ a day to rent and more than 50 grands to buy, not mentioning all the gear and man power you need to move them around. But if they had the budget... make your guess.
Like most of people do not drive a BMW, not because a VW Golf GTI is cooler. I do not think so.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:38:00 am by ziocan »
Pages: [1]   Go Up