Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost Characters  (Read 1296 times)

Rob C

Lost Characters
« on: March 23, 2011, 09:53:40 am »

Hi -

I've run into a problem with my PS and this is a first time with this particular fault. When I mask a section in order to protect it from treatment to other parts of the image, instead of the masked/coloured part being stable, it, too, changes along with the intended parts of the shot. This has never happened before (PS 6).

So, in an attempt to start again from scratch and, hopefully, lose the glitch, I uninstalled the programme and now, on trying to reinstall it, I have run into a keyboard problem: I need to type in a hyphen within the series of digits that constitute the code and this can't be found using the visible keys. I remember this from earlier installations of the same programme, but I can no longer find the combination of keys that allowed the hyphen to be written by me in the past. I'm sure that I wrote it down, but that's vanished to the depths of space. Or into the rubbish bin.

Does anyone know how to create a hyphen in these unusual circumstances?

Rob C

Rob C

Re: Lost Characters
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 01:24:54 pm »

Installation glitch fixed by using right-hand numerals... that wasn't what I'd done earlier, though.

Now, if the actual masking of areas problem is solved, that'll be worth a whoop of satisfaction.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 04:51:13 am »

Nope, the problem continues...

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 08:47:22 am »

Can you explain a bit more your process of masking?

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 06:41:10 pm »

Can you explain a bit more your process of masking?

Hi Slobodan -

The two little boxes with circles in them near the bottom of the tool box; I hit the one on the right and paint the mask over the parts I want to protect. Then, I hit the box on the left and the marching ants come up. After that, I just do the correction and the area protected doesn't move a muscle. This has to be done in 8 bit. Sometimes I do it using a set of Layers; mostly I feel confident enough to work without using them - seldom find I do a great deal other than a little cc and alteration of shadow/light.

(To be honest with you - why not? - I really find that PS 6 offers far more than I ever use; I found a thread (since locked) where folks battle over systems and levels of PS; what on Earth do they do that requires so much sophistication of equipment?)

But, I've got the function working again, thanks. I reset the comp to an earlier date, did some more twiddling I can't remember, and now the thing works as usual, except that it's in English, instead of Spanish. It did the language switch once before, long ago, but mysteriously reverted to Spanish. The language control at the bottom of the desktop has no effect on this at all.

Stamper gave a possible fix that would have been much faster, but I didn't find the post until the problem was fixed... Sod's Law.

;-)

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up