Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: leica m8.2 would you buy it?  (Read 9415 times)

palmerson

leica m8.2 would you buy it?
« on: March 22, 2011, 10:16:24 pm »

I need a little bit of advice. I shoot with 5DMKII and a 645DF with P25+. That is a perfect set up for most of my jobs... But I've been searching for a camera that I can always carry around and create good work whenever I stumble upon something or the muse kisses me out of the dark... After a couple of experiments with so called bridge cameras, I now have a Olympus Pen. But image quality and lenses are just not good enough that I can use the images for any of my purposes, apart from family pictures and my wife loves the pen. Right now I'm more and more thinking, that a Leica is the only solution in the end. As a M9 is to expensive and I don't wanna throw 8000 Euros plus into the basket just for fun, I was thinking a used M8.2 with two used lenses would do the job. I'm scared the M8 is to buggy? Or should I rather swallow the bitter M9 pill? What do you think? And is anybody willing to sell his 8.2 BTW, because he wants to upgrade at the moment? Many thanks for any thoughts and input on this.

palmerson

Re: leica m8.2 would you buy it?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 10:21:08 pm »

Ah and any experiences with the voigtländer 50mm 1.1? Thanks...

john cox

• The world exposed
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 10:31:45 pm »

Have you tried using leica lenses on your pen? You can adapt leica and zeiss glass over to micro 4/3. I have a jupiter 8 that i got for kicks and I'm considering higher end leica/voigtlander glass. The upside to the pen is that you get the option of an acessory ttl viewfinder.
You also have the option of the voigtlander 25mm f0.95 which is an insane piece of glass.

brianrybolt

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 05:21:18 am »

I would go for the M9 and a couple of Summarit lenses (not the 50mm) - Excellent glass.  You won't be disappointed.

Good luck,  Brian

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 07:32:55 am »

To answer your question - yes! I had an M8 for three years - no bugs! The M8.2 has the improved shutter (some M8 users had what was described as 'sudden shutter failure') and a few other improvements. Since you stated the M9 was too expensive (and I agree) and you want to experience the digital rangefinder system the M8.2 should be perfect. I know many will tell you to get Voigtlander lenses, my experience with them wasn't good, but try to find some older Leica glass - it can render subjects a special way. And yes, the summarit glass is terrific for less than the faster glass. Good luck with your decision.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 07:49:37 am »

I need a little bit of advice. I shoot with 5DMKII and a 645DF with P25+. That is a perfect set up for most of my jobs... But I've been searching for a camera that I can always carry around and create good work whenever I stumble upon something or the muse kisses me out of the dark... After a couple of experiments with so called bridge cameras, I now have a Olympus Pen. But image quality and lenses are just not good enough that I can use the images for any of my purposes, apart from family pictures and my wife loves the pen. Right now I'm more and more thinking, that a Leica is the only solution in the end. As a M9 is to expensive and I don't wanna throw 8000 Euros plus into the basket just for fun, I was thinking a used M8.2 with two used lenses would do the job. I'm scared the M8 is to buggy? Or should I rather swallow the bitter M9 pill? What do you think? And is anybody willing to sell his 8.2 BTW, because he wants to upgrade at the moment? Many thanks for any thoughts and input on this.

I think the red marked section is the crucial point. I bought a Canon G11 to learn digital photography. Then, because even this camera is too big for the "always with you" purpose I finally decided to get a S95. What looked redundant on the first look has proved as a good decision for me. Of course the S95 is not superior IQ-wise, but if you want the really always-with-you tool pocketability becomes a major factor. Even the G11 is too big for that purpose. Once you have the size of a Leica M system camera or M4/3 the step up to a DSLR with a good zoom lens is not that far, because you will carry the camera around with a strap and not in the pocket any longer. If I'd change to a bigger form factor I'd probably get a D3 or D3S for its lowlight capabilities and a good zoom lens.

palmerson

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 03:27:18 am »

Thanks a lot for all the thoughtful Input, after some reading and reviews, I'm browsing ebay at the moment for a good 8.2 deal. If I see Leica is the thing for me I eventually upgrade to the 9.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 08:05:54 pm »

Once you can't put in in your pant's pockets is all hanging from the neck. I've dreamed many times of a carry-always camera. Didn't happened until I bought the iPhone4. (all other pocket cameras were always something to watch and care or forgotten home) Great to have a camera always around! but the iPhone's IQ is not to my standards so, here I am again dreaming of an "always-camera". My 5D2 is too big of course. My candidates these days for an "easy-carry camera" (I changed the title) are Fuji X100 or the EOS 600D with the kit lens. Really torn!
Eduardo

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 10:45:03 am »

Get yourself a Leica X1. I have one that I use as my carry everywhere camera. I like it much more than my 5d2, and the lens is sharper in the corners than anything I have from Canon. Get the viewfinder and you have yourself a camera thats perhaps better, and certainly cheaper and more versatile than a M8.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 04:07:24 pm »

Looking under Leica in the Reviews bit of the site, there is just the original announcement made at the time of the MR visit to the factory to see the other two new cameras.

Does anyone remember if a full review was made of the X1?

Rob C

JeanMichel

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 04:40:08 pm »

Looking under Leica in the Reviews bit of the site, there is just the original announcement made at the time of the MR visit to the factory to see the other two new cameras.

Does anyone remember if a full review was made of the X1?

Rob C

Hi.
Yes ,there is a field review by MR. 'x1' in the search field brings it up.
Jean-Michel

douglasf13

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 12:04:53 pm »

I would say that, considering the size and price, a NEX-5 with the Zeiss ZM C-Biogon 35 f2.8 will rival just about any combo out there. It's a terrific, small, bang-for-your-buck setup.  Add a Nokton 35 f1.4 for lowlight work, and you've got a great one two punch for standard lenses.

I've ended up selling all of my fullframe DSLR gear, because the little NEX-5 with various rangefinder lenses gets the job done in a tiny package.    :D

schrodingerscat

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 01:37:52 pm »

In the film days, always had an M 3 or 4 with me at all times. A simple matter to sling it over the shoulder on the way out. After going digital in '99, by the time I got to the 5D II with the 16-35 I found myself carrying a camera less and less. Now reconditioning myself after going back to a rangefinder.

Have rarely hung a camera by my neck.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 01:57:55 pm »

I look at my old Rollei 35 & whistfully dream of the day when I can get a full-frame equivalent digi camera. I don't want bells & whistles. Just a tiny body, all manual operation, with a full-frame sensor.

Harold Clark

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 02:57:57 pm »

I look at my old Rollei 35 & whistfully dream of the day when I can get a full-frame equivalent digi camera. I don't want bells & whistles. Just a tiny body, all manual operation, with a full-frame sensor.

I agree wholeheartedly. I got a G11 as a portable camera, all the tiny controls and menus are a real pain. I somehow accidentally switched from raw to jpeg for a whole day without realizing it. Just give me shutter speed, f stop & ISO dials, raw files only are OK too.

douglasf13

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 04:54:19 pm »

I agree wholeheartedly. I got a G11 as a portable camera, all the tiny controls and menus are a real pain. I somehow accidentally switched from raw to jpeg for a whole day without realizing it. Just give me shutter speed, f stop & ISO dials, raw files only are OK too.

This is another nice thing about the NEX cameras.  It's got only a few buttons and a wheel, so, once you set the camera up, you can end up with a no frills way of adjusting ISO, aperture, and shutter speed.  Of course, those that need to change various jpeg settings, metering modes, etc, may be a little more frustrated with the simple setup, but it's a dream for those of us that just change the basics, like on older cameras.

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 04:57:13 pm »

And I'm sure it could be provided if camera companies listened. Try buying a car without even more added rubbish! The extras (fitted) to my latest buy include the ability to talk to the damn thing, of conveting my cell to a navigation system and stuff like that. But I don't seem to be able to turn the fan completely off, just very low. My seat can go up and down! and part of the penalty for that crap is that the roof is too damned high for easy washing. Bloody wonderful. All I wanted was some poke, a comfortable seat and a modicum of decent looks for not much money. Even the trunk's too damned small, so I ended up keeping the old thing too.

They are all at it: pack the product with junk that you can charge for as long as you push it as being 'desirable' and likely to make your easily impressed neighbour swear in his garage. (The camera is 'detuned' to be as close to a Nikon F as I can make it.)

And don't say order the car as you'd like it; that's almost impossible as they keep switching options on you so that you can't get yourself something to suit - you buy what's in the dealer's shop and available at the time. I think they call it marketing.

Rob C

darylgo

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 03:55:38 am »

Your current cameras are both thru the lens which has two very important advantages over the rangefinder.  Viewing accuracy and focus accuracy.  I sold my M8 because of these issues.  A great close up portrait had out of focus eyes, and the framing was inaccurate.  Many Lecia enthusiasts realize this and accommodate for it.  The m4/3 system gets me many more keepers and is as compact as the M8.  Overall if you can overcome the M8's limitations then it is truly a joy to use. 

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 04:59:58 pm »

If you do consider an X1 you probaly need to look at the Fuji X100.

Steve Huff talks about the X1 in his X100 review.
see the fuji review at http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/

philber

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 01:34:17 am »

I would say that, considering the size and price, a NEX-5 with the Zeiss ZM C-Biogon 35 f2.8 will rival just about any combo out there. It's a terrific, small, bang-for-your-buck setup.  Add a Nokton 35 f1.4 for lowlight work, and you've got a great one two punch for standard lenses.

I've ended up selling all of my fullframe DSLR gear, because the little NEX-5 with various rangefinder lenses gets the job done in a tiny package.    :D

I agree wholeheartedly with the NEX providing the best IQ for an "always-pocketeable" combo. There is a wealth of top-notch, light and compact glass that will fit the NEX: Leica M, Zeiss ZM, Voigtländer, Contax G... Plus the fact that NEX bodies will continue to evolve and improve much faster than Leica for much less money.
More specifically, I did a shoot with my 5D II and Zeiss glass, my NEX and Zeiss, and a friend who shot a 5D II and a Leica M8 II. At another shoot, a friend had a 5D II and a M9, and we compared IQ. No doubt, the M9 is a terrific image maker, and some Leica lenses appear to be superb as well, such a Summilux 35 ASPH. But the difference in IQ between the NEX and the M8 is not clearly in the M8's favor. Direct comparison is not totally straightforward because of different crop factors, and the many pluses and minuses go both ways, but, overall, I wouldn't trade my NEX for an M8 II.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up