Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebony cameras  (Read 6128 times)

fredjeang

Ebony cameras
« on: March 22, 2011, 05:37:18 pm »

I found this here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/digital-ebony.shtml
Looks pretty serious.

Are there Ebony users here? Can you comment on that brand and the use with digital backs?

Thanks.

Gigi

• some work
Re: Ebony cameras
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 08:52:15 pm »

Lovely well made cameras, very well thought through. A delight to use, but no digital experience with them.
Geoff

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 09:01:39 pm »

Hi Fred,

I used to own one of these cameras back in the day's when I used film. Very nice camera and well built.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/112648-REG/Horseman_27191_4x5_Woodman_Wood_Field.html

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

marcmccalmont

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 10:18:55 pm »

very well made and great for 4x5 film but not suitable for digital
I doubt any film camera with front and rear standards/bellows has the mechanical precision for digital work these days.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 11:07:50 pm »

very well made and great for 4x5 film but not suitable for digital
I doubt any film camera with front and rear standards/bellows has the mechanical precision for digital work these days.
Marc

Hi,

I use a Shen-Hao TFC-45IIB which is of similar construction to the Ebony but lower priced and made in Shanghai. I looked at Ebony but found their high price and non available of dealers both here in Hong Kong and in Shanghai where I frequent travel to be a deal breaker. Shen-Hao service in Shanghai is excellent! I imagine service for an Ebony would be $$, while if major problem with my Shen-Hao I could of course buy a new one and still be at spendings less than an Ebony... I also like the color of wood better on Shen-Hao :).

Having sold off gear over last number months, down from 5 camera systems to 1.5 camera systems, the Shen-Hao is a keeper. That can tell you that I like and enjoy it. I use it for 4x5 but also tried it for digital back using a custom made stitching adapter I have for sale on Ebay at current. Focus was no issue with the Shen-Hao for digital but the zeroing and accurate positioning of tilts and swings was very tedious to make to digital tolerances. Also I do not like using stitching adapter myself because of process in field for landscapes but that is me. I feel I prefer the Alpa method and am serious considering getting an Alpa STS.

If you are curious of trying on a 4x5, please check out my stitching adapter which feature a large 118mm x 80mm very bright Maxwell groundglass!

I hope above helps.

Regards
Anders

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 03:28:35 am »

I have been owning an Ebony 45SU for 6 years or so.

It is a very well designed non folding camera with asymmetrical back tilt. The combination of Ebony wood and titanium combined with best in class craftmanship results in a super accurate camera that feels extremely robust and is very pleasant to use.

I have never tried using it with a digital back.

Cheers,
Bernard

fredjeang

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 04:07:30 am »

Thanks for the imputs guys.
Yes, those cameras seem to be made in pure craftman spirit wich is nice. It smells precision, quality, beauty and joy in use.
There is also a small model with no movements: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y97lDg2yKKY
The website tells nothing about digital use, at least I could not find it.

darr

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 04:47:32 am »

I have owned three Ebony's, SV45U, 45SU and RSW45 and only own the RSW currently. I use it for 4x5" B&W film exclusively. I shoot a P45 commercially and would not use it on the Ebony. I use an Arca Swiss M-Line 2 for MF digital and also an Alpa Max. IMO, wood field cameras do not have the precision for a MF DB.

fredjeang

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 05:09:11 am »

I have owned three Ebony's, SV45U, 45SU and RSW45 and only own the RSW currently. I use it for 4x5" B&W film exclusively. I shoot a P45 commercially and would not use it on the Ebony. I use an Arca Swiss M-Line 2 for MF digital and also an Alpa Max. IMO, wood field cameras do not have the precision for a MF DB.
Thanks Darr. Yes, that was also my feeling although in the case of the Ebony I had a doubt because of the Titanium parts, the ebony being a very stable wood and the handmade built. So I thought that this could be a sort of exception. But you're right with digibacks and wood field cameras.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 07:54:54 am »

Fred, if you want a tech camera for use with DBs the Linhof Techno will probably be first choice. It was designed for that purpose.
Christoph Greiner (http://www.greiner-photo.com) who is a very experienced  seller of large format equipment with a good reputation told me the Arca swiss F-Line (we were talking about the geared "metric" version) would work as well in his opinion.

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 09:16:12 am »

IMO, wood field cameras do not have the precision for a MF DB.

I will maintain above is a too generalized statement... my experience narrowed in more detail:

Focus was no issue with the Shen-Hao for digital but the zeroing and accurate positioning of tilts and swings was very tedious to make to digital tolerances.

My Shen-Hao is a non folder of similar concept to the Ebony SW45 and these are more stable than folding wood cameras. It is important that back is stable when carrying stitching back and digital back that weighs more than film holder and 4x5 groundglass. However adjustment of swings and tilts on front standard were tedious because there were no knobs to turn for fine adjustment. An Arca Swiss with Orbit and micro adjustments would likely be the best for using a 4x5 with ease for very fine adjustments.

Actually, the Linhof Techno seem rather similar in concept to Shen Hao TFC45-IIB and Ebony SW 45, but appears to feature micro adjustments for front standard!  ;)

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 09:19:44 am by Anders_HK »

issa

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 11:15:46 am »

Hi Darr

Are you happy with your M-line 2, I have one on order and due any day. Plan to use it with either P45+ or P65+,  pending decision ( any day) Do you use a rotalside with it, and do you recomend one. I plan to use it for landscape photography. What is your focusing technique as I am moving from  a 5x4 Arca F metric, which i plan to keep for film.
Issa

Beds, UK

darr

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 05:24:59 pm »

Hi Darr

Are you happy with your M-line 2, I have one on order and due any day. Plan to use it with either P45+ or P65+,  pending decision ( any day) Do you use a rotalside with it, and do you recomend one. I plan to use it for landscape photography. What is your focusing technique as I am moving from  a 5x4 Arca F metric, which i plan to keep for film.

Hi issa,

I love my M-line 2!  It does exactly what I need it to do and is easy to setup, plus it takes my past A/S 6x9 accessories. I use mine in the studio. I compose using a Kapture Group sliding back and a Hasselblad viewer. I have it tethered to a Mac Pro 15" and run Capture 1, so I can check focus better. I use the Alpa Max for landscapes and for that I focus on the GG and then use the DB's screen to check out what the exposure and focus looks like.

You will love the M-Line!
Darr
Pages: [1]   Go Up