Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Eraser" End of Wacom Stylus—Can't Use for Erase Brush?  (Read 30391 times)

mcmorrison

"Eraser" End of Wacom Stylus—Can't Use for Erase Brush?
« on: March 22, 2011, 02:04:38 pm »

Hello,

I have a Wacom (Intuos 3) and love using it with LR3 on my Mac. I find, however, when I turn the stylus around so that the "eraser" end is used, it does not change the brush to an erase brush. This would be good so I could still use my other hand for adjusting the brush size with my Magic Mouse, rather than having to down the "option" key to change to erase. I have not been able to find a way to make this happen. The Wacom preferences pane is set to have the erase end erase  :-)  Yes, I could just click on the erase button, but that too seems an extra step that should not be necessary when we have this built-in eraser end on the stylus. . .

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

Michael

sniper

Re: "Eraser" End of Wacom Stylus—Can't Use for Erase Brush?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 06:51:13 pm »

I haven't got a tablet here at home but isn't there an option in the tabelt setup?

Tom Montgomery

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 07:58:10 pm »

I haven't found a way to use the eraser in LR3.  I expect the fact that the user has switched ends must be detected in the application, and the appropriate tool selected.  I have been meaning to post a feature request on the Adobe Lightroom list, but haven't gotten around to it yet...  maybe if enough of us request this feature it will be added, eventually.

I have been scanning and restoring old photos, and the stylus makes spotting dust and removing scratches a breeze.  For that particular operation, having the eraser issue an 'undo' command would be perfect. 

kevk

• Kevin Kucks Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 02:44:57 am »

I don't know about on a Mac, but in Win 7 the Wacom control panel applet allows you to create settings for a particular application, and alter the "Erase" to a "Modifier" key - I added Lightroom, and set the erase end button to Modifier "alt" which changes the brush from a "+" to a "-". Is that what you wanted?

Screenshot is of the control panel applet with this set.

Kevin

mcmorrison

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 02:27:47 pm »

Kevk,

Brilliant. Exactly the same on Mac, works perfectly.

Thanks so much!

Michael

Tom Montgomery

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 08:01:22 pm »

> Brilliant. Exactly the same on Mac, works perfectly.

Michael, which version of tablet driver do you have installed on your Mac?  I downloaded the latest from Wacom (5.2.4-4) and it is exactly the same as what I had earlier: the only control for the eraser is "Eraser Feel".  I'm thinking that for some reason Wacom doesn't support that eraser modifier assignment for my tablet, which is an older Sapphire CTE-30, but the same driver is used for the Intuos 3, as well as the newer Bamboo tablets. 

Unless the modifier key assignment is somewhere well hidden that I haven't found yet...

Tom.

mcmorrison

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 08:12:25 pm »

Hello Tom,

You must first "add" LR to the Wacom applications area ("+" at the right), then select LR, then choose the "eraser" tab, then click on the drop-down to the right of the eraser in the image of the stylus (see the screen shot from Kevk), then choose "modifier", then choose "option".

I hope this helps!

Michael

RogerW

• http://www.rogerwalton.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 05:26:01 pm »

John Beardsworth describes this - and some more ideas - very clealry here:

http://www.beardsworth.co.uk/wacom/

Tom Montgomery

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 08:12:08 pm »

Thanks Michael and Roger,  it seems that even though the Sapphire tablets are almost identical to the Intuos 3 (it uses the same part number pen), the application field isn't enabled in the driver.  However, I think I'll reassign one of the switch positions to do the same job; a little clunky but it should work.

Pages: [1]   Go Up