Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Once I get my 4900... what next?  (Read 5511 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Re: Once I get my 4900... what next?
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 10:08:45 pm »

if he has a modern computer w a 'gigabit' ethernet port, then most likely he would NOT require a crossover cable as almost all of the gigE ports are 'auto sensing'.

If you have a router w/ free ports in the back, just connect the 4900 to that and dont worry about it.

I've got a MacPro Dual 2.8 Quad-Core (2008).  I've got an Airport Extreme connected for the internet.  I know absolutely nothing about networks.  So.. does that mean I can just plug the 4900 into the back of the Airport with an ethernet cable?
Mike Guilbault

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 10:13:24 pm »

I just downloaded the latest Printer Drive v8.40.  I notice there are other downloads available.  Do I need any or all these?

There's a Firmware Update Version M028B2
Common Updater v7.00
EpsonNet Config Utlilty v3.5b
Remote Panel Utility v1.30

but it doesn't tell me what any of these are for so I'm not sure if I need them or not.
Mike Guilbault

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 10:18:49 pm »

I just downloaded the latest Printer Drive v8.40.  I notice there are other downloads available.  Do I need any or all these?

There's a Firmware Update Version M028B2
Common Updater v7.00
EpsonNet Config Utlilty v3.5b
Remote Panel Utility v1.30

but it doesn't tell me what any of these are for so I'm not sure if I need them or not.

Yes.

The only one you may do without is the NetConfig utility if you are not connecting the printer over a network.

As you download these files, note the numbers and corresponding names for each, because you may need to refer to those to know what you are installing.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 11:19:06 am »

Is there anything else on the CD that I should load or just ignore the CD and download the drivers and such off the Epson site?
Mike Guilbault

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 11:41:30 am »

Is there anything else on the CD that I should load or just ignore the CD and download the drivers and such off the Epson site?

Mike, I forget what's on the CD. Safest thing is to set the printer up exactly the way they tell you, using the CD, unless they provide instructions for by-passing the CD by going straight to the website. I set mine up using the CD - when I bought mine there was anyhow no difference. Once the whole thing is set-up following exactly the procedure they recommend in the documentation, up-grading is then a matter of downloading the new driver, firmware and Up-dater versions from their website and installing them following their instructions. It's all pretty straightforward once you get into it, and this approach is likely to be fail-safe.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 11:44:45 am »

sounds good.  Thanks Mark
Mike Guilbault
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up