Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Serial numbers of equipment for sale... Yes or No?  (Read 1581 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Serial numbers of equipment for sale... Yes or No?
« on: March 20, 2011, 01:22:34 pm »

As I am contemplating selling some of my equipment, either here or on eBay, I remember there were some debates whether to list or not serial numbers of lenses and cameras for sale. I was wondering what would be the pros and cons of either approach. Is there any downside or potential misuse of listing them? Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

darr

Re: Serial numbers of equipment for sale... Yes or No?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 01:40:29 pm »

The serial numbers that are on the gear I sell may show up in their photos; if so, I leave it there. Maybe a potential buyer wants to search a theft database somewhere (if it exists), so I just leave them. However, I do not post the info in the ad itself.

Darr

MichaelWorley

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 04:53:17 pm »

As I am contemplating selling some of my equipment, either here or on eBay, I remember there were some debates whether to list or not serial numbers of lenses and cameras for sale. I was wondering what would be the pros and cons of either approach. Is there any downside or potential misuse of listing them? Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

We're very paranoid these days. I saw a film clip recently on TV with the police cars' license plates blurred out! If somebody could track a plate [a felony here in AZ] guess what they'd find? The police department!

I drive around with my plate in full view. It's required by law. If someone ran my plate, they'd find . . . me! And my neighbors wouldn't even have to run my plate to find me.

I think it's similar with serial numbers. If someone could access the equipment's database of serial numbers, they'd find that you were selling what you say you're selling.

There was a thread on dpreview [whose forums are the font of all information true and reliable] on the subject of getting the serial number before buying so as to be able to find out if the item is stolen. [Someone allegedly bought an item they didn't know was stolen, later sent it to Nikon for service, and Nikon kept it.] So, an interested buyer of yours could, out of an abundance of caution, maybe check the status of the item with the manufacturer. Seems like a good thing.

Maybe more deviously-inclined people out there can point out something I'm missing.

Mike

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 05:03:49 pm »

... So, an interested buyer of yours could, out of an abundance of caution, maybe check the status of the item with the manufacturer...

Thanks for the reply. As for the above, wouldn't that require a prior registration with the manufacturer? You know, sending those registration cards, etc... something I rarely do, btw (just being lazy, nothing smart or sinister). Other than product registration, I doubt that the manufacturer would now that it was me who bought it originally.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 06:24:02 pm »

Thanks for the reply. As for the above, wouldn't that require a prior registration with the manufacturer? You know, sending those registration cards, etc... something I rarely do, btw (just being lazy, nothing smart or sinister). Other than product registration, I doubt that the manufacturer would now that it was me who bought it originally.

Yes it does. That's (partly) the point of rebates: they buy your address for further marketing contacts and demographic information.

As long as there's no central database where serial numbers of stolen goods are stored and easily checked against, there's little point in sharing the info. Can't really see the point of it.

MichaelWorley

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 07:24:34 pm »

Yes, and it would require reporting the item stolen and somehow getting the word to the manufacturer. This was all alleged in the dpreview post [which we have to believe]. As feppe points out, not likely . . . unless you’d claimed a rebate or something and then called the manufacturer when the thing got stolen. I wouldn't.

I just did some research on antique Colt Single Action Army revolvers, which I used to buy and sell in modest quantities. It used to be the practice to advertize these items with x’s in place of some of the digits toward the end of the serial number. The reader could verify the date of manufacture, but didn’t have the “real” serial number. It made no sense and it doesn’t seem to be done anymore.

Would you like my license plate number? Heck, I'll give it to you for free. It's 898 BKY (AZ)

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up